Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Very scratchy dog

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Stefanie Davis, Jun 16, 2018.

1. Stefanie Davis

Stefanie Davis PetForums Newbie

I am at a loss .I have a Jack Russell who just won't stop scratching. She will scratch her stomach on a concrete floor and he body on anything she can, so much so that she is now getting sores and bald patches.

We have previously taken to her to vets where she had a skin scrape which came back clear and she keeps having cortisone injections which only last a little while.

Can anyone offer any advice that can help her stop scratching .

Thanks.

2. pennyLokiMUM

pennyLokiMUM PetForums Senior

Have you looked at the diet, when Poppy was scratching it was food, a good grain free diet helps or RAW, it could be environmental like dust or pollen, so speak to the Vet about a antihistamine and I would be looking at a oat organic wash that soothes the skin, there is an ointment as well not sure whats it called but this forum would know

Stefanie Davis and Lurcherlad like this.
  3. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

Could be allergic to something in your home, Amber (our last dog) had a reaction to the floor cleaner I was using.

Stefanie Davis and Lurcherlad like this.
  4. Fiona M

Fiona M PetForums Newbie

I have just joined the forum because I have a very itchy spaniel who made himself very sore by licking his itchy bits.
    He had a severe ear infection, which initially took us to the vet, who said the ear trouble was related to skin trouble.
    The vet told me that, just like humans, dogs can be allergic to virtually anything; house dust, pollen, food, his own dander, etc. He was not in favour of allergy testing, because he said it's mega expensive and it doesn't really matter what he's allergic to, because at the end of the day we're going to give him something to stop the itch.
    We had a month's trial on a new-ish tablet called Apoquel, (it's been licensed a few years now) which helped a lot, but didn't quite do the trick. My dog has just had his first injection of something quite new (only licensed last year, I believe) called Cytopoint (which was actually the reason I joined the forum!). Unfortunately, neither of these options comes cheap.
    What I would say though, is go back to your vet and ask to explore new treatments for allergic reactive dogs.
    Hope you can get him sorted out, it must be miserable being itchy all the time.

5. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

With itchy dogs try your best to minimise potential environmental allergens as in the big scheme of things these usually top food. You will get those here that have food problems don't get me wrong but usually environment usually is the classed as most common.

So dust mites being huge in homes. Treating homes with a good flea treatment that protects against dust mites every six- nine months.
    Wet wiping instead of dusting
    Steam cleaning
    Regular hoovering with good hepa filter changed and cared for well.

Air fresheners/candles can all be triggers. As well as biological washing powder.

Remember we all want to maintain hygiene whilst we live with animals most things are safe but when dry, so if say you have moped floors keep your pets off till dry. I think the only exception is kennel cleaner. Not Zoflora if you read the small print. See so many people on YouTube cleaning with the product and their pet walks over their nice wet floor. Read small print.

Outside...after walks give a wipe down when you come in to hopefully remove any allergen left on your pet. Pay attention to paws but pollen gets everywhere.

Look at places like Asthma sites to get other tips. Asthma is basically a reaction to an allergen and quite often not identified.

Storage mites is quite common too. So try and keep dry food to minimal keep in air tight containers. If you feed dry if possible you could try wet to see if that makes a difference.

I do often think sore ears can relate to food proteins but that's only reading her so probably a poor focus group and taking in to account my own dog gets sore ears if he has chicken. But he's one dog in many. So I wouldn't just presume food is definitely a trigger there is also anatomy of ears etc to to take into account and some dogs just sadly due to anatomy are plagued. Though there definitely is a link ears and allergies not always the case

Lurcherlad likes this.
  6. Fiona M

Fiona M PetForums Newbie

7. pennyLokiMUM

pennyLokiMUM PetForums Senior

just read in the paper today of a dog who wore a body suit and its worked wonders in reducing allergies

Lurcherlad likes this.
  8. wee man

wee man PetForums VIP

Is the problem a seasonal one or all year round?

9. Jackie Lee

Jackie Lee Banned

Allergies, mites, skin infections, and minor insect bites are the most common causes of intense scratching. Have you checked your surroundings if it's clean?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice