Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Very Poorly Cat - Advice Please on His Final Days

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by betawolf, Jun 30, 2009.

1. betawolf

betawolf PetForums Newbie

hi, i'll get straight to; my cat is very nearly at his end. he started treatment 12 months ago for a large tumour in his stomach that could not be removed by surgery. he was put on a fortnightly course of chemo and steroids. he immediately improved but several months later he started to show signs of slipping. the vet changed his medication around but it didn't help. he kept retching and occasionally bringing up small amounts of blood. the vet did blood tests and found nothing wrong. he believes that the cat has developed an ulcer, either by the chemo or steroid treatment.

recently he has just been receiving steroid injections which should last 14 days but now only give him enough energy to eat for a few days before he retires into himself and refuses to eat, just lying in a quiet corner, hidden away. the vet now feel it would be futile to continue treatment as it is becoming less and less effective. the vet gave me some medication for the ulcer but it has proven to be impossible to administer it orally and he refuses to eat or drink anything that contains the medicine. i've tried everything

my cat is a house cat and more importantly is a very nervous and scared cat. every trip to the vet is a very stressful event which clearly upsets him. i'm disabled and have to have a friend take my cat to the vet, so i wouldn't even be able to comfort him when he was there. bearing that in mind; do i subject my cat to one final visit to the vet for a lethal injection? he is now in his quiet hiding place and refusing to come out for food or water. i can see he's still alive but he just does not want to move. i desperately want to avoid a stressful and frightening trip to the vets for him

the question i've been trying to ask after all this is, can i let him die naturally where he has chosen to? he doesn't appear to be in pain, but how would i know? i just want to give him the peace and quiet he needs. i really am at my wits end. i'ver been crying on and off ever since the vet told me he no longer wanted to continue treatment.

am i being selfish or cruel? i can't think straight.

2. Leah100

Leah100 PetForums Senior

I'm very sorry, you and your boy have obviously really been going through Hell :( Can you ring your vet and ask them to come and do a home visit if you are thinking the time has come ? Some vets will come out to your house to save your pet that final stress, and it is more peaceful for you too.

3. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I think letting him go naturally could be a prolonged and painful experience for him.

The majority of vets will do housecalls. I know its a hard decision, but you are making the right one. Even if the vet wont come up, i think it would be kinder to take him to to the surgery and have his suffering ended. Natural deaths can be prolonged and agonising for the animal.

You have already done so much for him, so many owners would have given up a long time ago, so you most certainly are not cruel or selfish.

4. sullivan

sullivan PetForums VIP

i WOULD SUGGEST A HOUSE CALL TO IF YOU FEEL YOU WANT TO KEEP HIM IN HIS SURROUNDINGS AND HE BE MORE SETTLED. I WOUDNT LEAVE HIM TO GO NATURALLY AS YOU DONT KNOW IF HES IN ANY DISCOMFORT AND IT MAY BE DRAWN OUT. I FEEL YOU HAVE DONE YOUR VERY BEST AND HE SHOULD BE PTS QUITELY AT HOME .

5. Izzie999

Izzie999 PetForums VIP

Hello,

I am so sorry to hear this, how upsetting for you and the poor cat. I feel he is obviously near the end and obviously the stress of the vet visits could actually be making him more unwell. I wonder, could you perhaps ask your Vet to come to you and put him to sleep at home? It would be far less stressful and he would be in his own home environment. I think it would a final kindness and not cruel of you at all, your vet has advised you that treatment is no longer working so you really need your poor cat at rest.

I think you know in your heart he is ready but it is so hard for you to let him go.

Best wishes

Izzie

6. betawolf

thank you for the replies and kind words. i spoke to the vet and he's contacting me tomorrow morning with a time he can visit. i won't sleep tonight and i can't even imagine what i'll do tomorrow. :( x a million

7. I am sorry that you are in this position! but sadly it is one that most loving pet owners find themselve in sooner or later. I do have cats but my knowledge of dogs is far greater! Therefore had we have been talking about dogs I feel that I could have given you far more precise advise as my reply would have been that if you love you pet you will know when they have had enough by the look in their eyes! the kindest thing you can then do is to reduce to suffering and make the dreaded decision.

BUT - we are talikng of a cat! so I can only give you my opinions from my own experience! My cat was almost 20 - people told me that he would just go away and find somewhere to die, whether this is true or not I really do not know! I made the decision to have my fella put to sleep - it was quick and painless - and I knew where my Smokey ended up.

IF - I were you I would however request a home visit if this is at all possible!
    Thinking of you - and the difficult decision that you have to make! but remember sometimes we have to do 'what some term as cruel' to be kind.
    Trusting you know that you will make that right decision!
    regards
    DT

8. mypets

mypets PetForums Senior

Im sorry for what you are going through...I wouldnt like to tell you what to do, as its your choice at the end of the day...I know there is alot of advice on here but your the only one who knows your boy and whether the time has come to let him goto sleep...

please keep us posted...xxx

9. betawolf

the deed is done. sky passed away at 1pm this afternoon, in my arms. i find it impossible to describe the sadness that has descended upon my soul. i can barely see to type as the tears will simply not stop while the sobbing washes over me like an ice cold wave. i can't accept that i'll never see his stupid face again or hear his voice. he gave me unconditional love, the kind i fear it is impossible to attain with another human.

thank you, dear sweet friend for your companionship. i will keep you in my heart always.

10. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Im so sorry for your loss :(

11. ross607

ross607 PetForums Newbie

Betawolf,

I am so sorry. No words of comfort can ease this time, my little one was put to sleep on Monday and I wish I could tell you the pain will ease over the next few days but I am still crying myself to sleep every night. Your words that you can't accept that you'll never see his face again resonate with me greatly, I feel exactly the same way. Try and take comfort from the fact that you have easied his pain and suffering, and he left the world peacefully in your arms...

My deepest sympathy and thoughts are with you.

Ross

12. betawolf

Thanks nonnie and ross. i only hope that you too will find comfort in your last act of kindness for your loved one.

13. Izzie999

Izzie999 PetForums VIP

Hi,

I am so sorry to hear of your loss, it brings tears to my eyes. Please try and remember how well you have looked after Skye,soon you will be able to remember the happy times and smile through the tears!

Izzie

14. mypets

mypets PetForums Senior

Im so so sorry for your lose...

15. Lulu's owner

Lulu's owner PetForums VIP

It is so sad to lose a beloved pet, but you gave your cat a gentle end and that is a great comfort. I lost my puss in January and reading these posts makes me weep for my loss too. The first few days and weeks are the worst, though as with people you have lost you never forget them. It's too soon to say I hope you feel better but the pain will lessen eventually. I felt hopeless and lost for some time after my cat died too, but joining these petlovers' forums has helped a bit and I hope it helps you too.

16. Poppyrog

Poppyrog PetForums Newbie

I'm very very sorry to hear about you loosing your poor beloved Sky, you did the right thing although it may not feel that way right now.

Try and keep strong and remember the good times you shared.

It's bringing tears to my eyes, I can't begin to imagine how you must feel. *lots of hugs*.

xxxxxxxxx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice