Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Very low fat treats?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by kat&molly, Mar 24, 2011.

1. kat&molly

kat&molly PetForums VIP

Our JRT is very overweight. Shes a rescue and I've battled now for the last 3 years at least. Blood tests have been done-everything ok. She isn't overfed or underexercised[has been a bit lately due to a dodgy hip, now on Metacam]
    I've even had to take her off Raw, she was only having 160 grams a day. I can control my other dogs weight really easy on it-but not Jay:confused:
    On advice from the vet we have put her on Satiety dry food its Royal Canin. I dont like RC, but I've no choice. The vet says its just her make up-like some people cant lose weight.
    I've always been mean with her and treats so apart from carrots is there there anything else.She's having 100grams of this dry. She doesn't appear to be be hungry but is really missing the Raw.

2. pearltheplank

pearltheplank PetForums VIP

What is her weight now and her ideal weight?

I have found the raw diet has really helped my old girls arthritis. I have found the dried fish skin treats to be non fattening as they are extremeley low in calories

Could luck with the weight loss, it is hard. My girl only needed to lose about 2 - 3 kgs but it has taken nearly 3 months

3. Helbo

Helbo PetForums VIP

I know it feels mean but I'd cut out 'treats' altogether. Just like when we need to lose weight, we try to find 'healthy' treats, but it just doesn't work. You need to have healthy meals and no treats if you're honest with yourself.

As you've said, the dogs not missing the food, so why are you trying to find ways to feed the dog more than even the dog wants?

Buy your JRT some chews/toys as treats instead - like flavoured nylabones (the non-edible ones)

Good Luck :D

4. MissBexi

MissBexi PetForums VIP

Have you tried splitting her daily dose into smaller meals throughout the day?
    My pups has upset tums last year and they were taken off all wet food and treats and now only get biscuits (I'm on Burns) They refused to eat when if was just biscuits but after splitting it into 2meals a day they are far better..
    if you don't like RC there are other good dog foods that have weight lose,
    Burns ~ High Oats,
    Barking Heads ~ Fat Dog Slim
    I'm sure there are others.. Just some certain dog foods don't work on some dogs.

5. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

Maybe try crisping some chicken breast up in hot oven, obviously remove all skin from it :)

6. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

All the fish4dogs treats are low in fat , that is what i buy..also ostrich chews:D

FOr her main meal Mave has the burns as this is only 7.5 % fat

juliex

7. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

Ostrich chews :eek: Will have to check those out :)

8. SixStar

SixStar Banned

Stagbars are meant to be very low in fat, and the dogs just chew them rather than actually eating them, so they could be useful for your girl. Also carrots and apples, whole or chopped up and frozen. Cut out commerical treats like rawhide, dentastix, pigs ears etc, they're full of fat.

What's her current weight, her ideal weight, and how much exercise does she get?

9. Souris

Souris PetForums Senior

This may sound really silly but it's not just the fat content of a food that makes a dog overweight. If she's back on RC then she's now getting grains, so carbs, which wouldn't help on the loosing weight.

Liver might be a good option, it's fairly low in fat but high in nutrients. However, don't feed too much as she may become loose. This website links nutrition data of cooked meats really well giving you a general overview to pick your choice.

10. henry

henry PetForums VIP

Definitely Fish4Dogs fish treats - 2.6%. I've been looking into this as I'm aiming to get half a kg off Henry at the moment. For example, JWB Crackerjacks are 12.5% fat, Fish4Dogs are 2.6% fat.

11. FRAZ

FRAZ PetForums Member

As previously mentioned I would cut out treats altogether.
    However we do a range of treats that are an option.
    Antos treats are vegetable based, they even do a vegetarian pigs ear.

Antos Dog Treats UK

I would stay away from their better rolls and look at their toothbrushes, crocodiles, hedgehog shapes and their mini bones.

For overweight dogs we usually point our clients towards Burns Chicken and Brown Rice, and recommend a smaller portion than suggested. It has worked for us recently with two labradors and a King Charles Spaniel.

As also mentioned Burns High Oats is good as the gives your dog a fuller feeling due to oat contant, and Fat Dog Slim by Barking Heads is good.

Burns Pet Nutrition, Burns - Chicken & Brown Rice UK
    Barking Heads, Barking Heads - Fat Dog Slim - Adult Light Dog Food UK

We also suggest to some a customers a new toy might be just the thing. And before you think this is me on a sales pitch, a good stick will suffice for a bit of fetch and return.

Good luck with your dog.

Cheers Fraz.

12. kat&molly

kat&molly PetForums VIP

Firstly, thank you to everyone for all the suggestions. Some people can be very judgemental- it isn't down to my overfeeding her or exercise. I've neverhad a dog thats overweight.
    She needs to lose 3 kilos which is a massive amount for a little dog.
    I will stick with with Satiety just for now , maybe a month and see if there is any improvement. If not I will see what can be delivered over here- we dont have all the same range as the UK.
    I didn't realise rawhide was fattening, I've always given her 1 a week:eek:
    Treat wise she would normally have half a carrot and a third of a little biscrok bone of an evening, I've even stopped this, even though I didn't think that was a lot, she is missing these things. I'll look for something else.:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice