Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Very Itchy Dog >> Help!!

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by SamIves, Jul 29, 2009.

1. SamIves

SamIves PetForums Newbie

My dog is 8 and in the last year he has suddenly become extermley itchy along the ridge of his back, 1st he gets sensitive around his back, then gets eruptions along his back, nothing comes out of the eruptions but its very uncomfortable from him. The condition is not seasonal, occurs throughout the year.

Been to the vets and tried numerous things such as:
    Prednisone (this helped but cannot be used for a long term)
    Anti-itch/ soothing shampoo's
    Changed feeds
    Already de-flead and wormed

Currently trying anti-histanmines but dont seem to be working at all, vets arnt 100% what it is, bite allergies have been suggested but cant help but thinking is it was bite allergies, wouldnt they be all over not just along his back.

Any ides? Thanks for taking the time to read :)

2. poochimama

poochimama PetForums Senior

wow seems like ur vets covered it all has the vet taken blood tests or checked its not hormonal ?

3. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

Try Evening Primrose oil tablets, I get them from Boots and give one tablet a day to my staffie x girlie who has seasonal itchiness.

4. Kinski

Kinski PetForums VIP

I know that you said you've changed foods but what foods have you tried, they may all be of the same quality and your dog might need a better quality food. Apologies if you do already feed a premium food :blushing:.

Terri

5. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Has the vet tried something as simple as emptying the anal glands. It can sometimes be the problem.

6. nellie_dean

nellie_dean PetForums Member

I know that quite often itchy dogs respond to a change to a good quality light diet fed sparingly - the theory seems to be that breakdown products of the diet sometimes cause a build up in the skin which gives rise to the irritation.

7. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

Have you tried Piriton? human type? worked for my dog.

8. bichonhotel

bichonhotel PetForums Newbie

I would second the diet change. In the short term try boiled chicken breast with veg and pasta, or similar- thereby reducing the risk of commercial bulking agents being the problem

We sell Kronch salmon oil which helps with skin issues. The other equally good brand is Grizley.

Both are cold pressed with no additives. Just add a squirt to the food- dogs love the taste of it.

For instant relief try a good quality Neem shampoo. Helps with hot spots

#8 bichonhotel, Jul 30, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice