Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Very ill looking water dragon

Discussion in 'Lizards' started by Ninaanderic, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Ninaanderic

Ninaanderic PetForums Newbie

IMG_9059.JPG IMG_9051.JPG Hi, I'd decided on getting a water dragon as my next lizard and ive read everything about them and set up the correct viv, anyway I was looking around the local places when I came across a large male he looked terribly kept and has scales missing and I noticed how dirty his nose and face looked, anyway I told them he should not be kept in a 2 foot viv with only a tiny water bowl and NO logs or climbing equipment at all and he was clearly kept in a dessert set up there was no humidity at all! I told them he also has in the past if not is still suffering with MBD The 'reptile center' response was 'we have 30 years experience' couldn't care less basically and had everything wrong , so naturally I wanted to take this little boy and rescue him but anyway when I've got him home I've noticed how bad the damage to his face actually is, I've caught him open his mouth and it looks fairly pale and uninfected inside however the outside is terrible, his jaw is extremely wonky with lumps and bumps all over his mouth has brown bits I've bathed him and it just looks worse I'm really worried it might be mouth rot, I have self treated snakes in the past with this which is a long and expensive process, if anyone could say if they think it is? I also have the correct temps and UV now as he hasn't had before! Also I think he looks underweight but I could be wrong, he's only been fed untouched locusts so I'm going to try and introduce some veg and fruit aswell as his vits and calcium, any help much appreciated! He's also very frightened and I was told he had come from a bad home originally so it's going to be a long process, he is also very dark but may be stress! Thank you very much in advance! Christina & Eric

Attached Files:

2. cat001

cat001 PetForums VIP

This does look very much like mouth rot. By the sounds of things he’s dehydrated too. You could put some reptoboost in his water, it contains electrolytes which can help with hydration, probiotics which can help re-establish gut flora and stimulate appetite and glucose and vitamins to help perk him up if he’s not eating well. Critical care can also be fed directly via syringe if he requires a little extra nutritional support. Critical care lacks calories but is high in protein and provides energy to support animals in need if feeding is an issue. Stress reduction will be very important for his recovery so should only be handled when necessary and provided with plenty of privacy and coverage to feel secure.

MBD is reversible so long as it hasn’t progressed too far. You’re already on it with the UV which is excellent (make sure the uv output is correct as different species have different uv requirements, and bulbs vary in output - uv lights should also be placed 6-8 inches above basking area to be effective), bumping the temperatures up slightly by a few degrees above optimum may also help encourage healing. Make sure the UV and heat source are close together as D3 production in the skin is a heat dependant process. Calcium will also need to be provided.

The vet should be able to provide you with antibiotics to help clear up the mouth rot and assess the extent of his MBD via x-ray or physical examination.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  3. MrJsk

MrJsk PetForums Member

Sounds as though you are doing everything right.

I would suggest though that you get him to the vets asap!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice