Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Very fussy kitten

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by JamesP1701, Feb 5, 2021.

1. JamesP1701

JamesP1701 PetForums Junior

Hi all,

We have a 9 month old kitten, healthy weight and active.

However he is a very fussy eater. I’m a big believer that cats should be eating meat and we’ve tried various high quality meat based product but he just refuses to touch them - other than licking the gravy.

As a result, we’re currently on James Wellbeloved dry kitten food (not my preferred choice but at least he’s eating).

However, unlike our other cat who polish off their bowl in one sitting, he;’ll only have a few mouthfuls and leave a lot. Oddly though, he will then try and steal the wet food from his sister’s bowl. I’m hoping that when he’s an adult and we can serve him adult food this will make things a lot easier.

We’re taking him to the vets just to be sure but I’m really at my wits end!

I really want to transition him to a meat product but since he’ll refuse to eat it I don’t want him not to eat.
    Any suggestions to how to move him to it would be welcome, as well as to how to encourage him to eat in one sitting. In theory I don’t have any problem leaving his food down all day so he can graze, but his sister is overweight and any food he doesn’t eat she’ll polish off.

Thoughts welcome!

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Kitten and puppy food didn’t exist years ago.

I’d just give him adult food if he enjoys it and eats it tbh.

buffie likes this.
  3. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

As @Lurcherlad says kitten/puppy food is basically a marketing gimic .If you are feeding a good high meat content wet food to your other cat then just give him the same.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@JamesP1701 - it may be worth investing in a microchipped feeder for your female cat to ensure that your boy cannot steal her food. At present there is a special discount offer of 20% from Surepet Care on their products, in partnership with Cats Protection. It reduces the cost of the 'chipped feeder to £64 so it's well worth it.

https://www.cats.org.uk/shop/other-ways-to-help/surepetcare

[note; the microchipped feeder is the one with the bridge over the top]

5. Cully

Cully PetForums VIP

When cat's have to fend for themselves I don't think they're too fussy about whether the mouse they have just caught is suitable for the age they are;).
    I feed kitten, adult and senior, depending on what is available with no negative effects.
    And try to avoid dry food as it's of no nutritional value. Just full of cereal which they can't digest. Oh, and sprayed with something so it tastes attractive. If it wasn't. they wouldn't eat it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice