Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Very Dry "Bitty" Poo? Old GSD

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by hazyreality, Apr 7, 2011.

1. hazyreality

hazyreality PetForums VIP

Just lately Sabre's poo has changed alot. He seems so be having trouble going to the toilet, or at least doing all of it in one go.
    He will go up the garden(we have steps) and do 2 or 3 "rounds" of poo and he will walk back down but will be figgety, so if its bed time I make him go back up. He then does 2 or 3 more "rounds". Last night, he went up there 3 times and did small ammounts each time. The last lot he did, he went to eat a bit of it. He moves around alot as he does it.

He has also started to poo in the house over night alot, the same sort of thing, spread about and "bits" He has also been eating it I think because there will be a lump of poo in one area and in another area there will be like crumbs of poo.

The poo itself looks very very dry, a very light colour and looks like its made up of very small bits.

He is 11 1/2 year old. He has had problems with sensitive stomachs/diarrhoea in the past but we found that if we keep him on food which only contains chicken, turkey, fish or tripe he is ok (no lamb, beef, pork)

At the moment he has a 150g cup of Chicken and Rice biscuits with 1/2 tray of Natures Diet Chicken. Then in the evening he has another 150g of biscuits and 200g of raw minced meat (chicken, turkey or tripe)

He is also on Cartrophen injections, glucosomine, chondroitin and devils claw.

Do you think he could be lacking something in his diet?
    He eats grass most days which he has always done, he is very rarely sick after eating it.

*Heidi*

2. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

I'd honestly take him the vets and ask them to check. Not for the colour or texture, just because he seems to be having dificulty getting rid all at once. Could be something there causing a bit of a blockage. IMO best to check and be sure.

3. hazyreality

He is at the vets for his injection on Monday anyway so will be asking then. Last time I asked a question on here(about a guinea pig) you guys knew more than the vet! So thought I should ask here aswell :)

*Heidi*

4. 912142

912142 PetForums VIP

Probably best to ask the vet - my first thoughts were either constipation or bile related issues. :smile:

5. As others have said think the vet is really the person to be asking - all that spring to mine is is there enough oil in his diet!
    DT

6. hazyreality

I dont think he is actually constipated because he is going to the toilet at least 3-4 times a day, he drops it all over the field in the morning then in the garden at least twice.
    It seems (it may sound silly) like he is keeping some, like they do when they are scenting with wee on a walk? If you dont let him in until he's finished he does alot more, so obviously he can do it at that time, its like he doesnt want to? He has also been dirty on the same rug every time, if we roll the rug up(so its just laminate) overnight then he is clean?

As I said, will be asking the vet, but like a few opinions on here. Alot of people who know alot on this forum :)

*Heidi*

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice