Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Very Angry at Local Vet,Have you had this Problem.

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by ScottyJock, Apr 10, 2011.

1. ScottyJock

ScottyJock PetForums Newbie

Hi Fellow Cat owners
    Got my cat home from vets who never checked it for what I feared her back legs cant stand and waist just goes on side I told him Ive had cats and dogs before with this and when they get old all get it, and want them to verify my fears and Id like her not to suffer and put to sleep,but they didnt even check that,after an overnight stay in vets and tested on.My cat was brought home by a pal.they had my cat one night in their hospital.

Cat arose yesterday morning was as bad as ever they hadnt checked over what I had asked them to do they came out with the common illness and money guaranteed for them they said she had an Over active Thyroid which causes her heart rate to increase and she panics , so gave Vidalta pills, and antibiotics. and a £200 bill,stating Id need to buy pills for her whole life after that to make life easier for her,

I phoned yesterday called them robbers as my cat has still same thing I asked them to check to verify what I suspected back legs gone lower back end unable to stand all old cats and dogs get that,its an arthritic problem and if that cant be treated Id have her put to sleep.. you know what he said that angered me and he got me mad.

He said people like me shouldnt buy cats if cant afford to pay to look after them I said I didnt get her for my christmas Ive had her since she was 6 weeks old ,,never needed a vet till now. she is 10 years old.and has what I suspected is the arthritic problem cats and dogs get at elderly age and have to be put down back end just collapses, unable to stand walks in circles and obviously panics, and squeals from frustration,Im a country man spent my whole life with dogs and cats and luckily never needed vet till now since moving into a town and life harder no since Im a old disable pensioner whose family was killed and cat is all I have left.

She went under sideboard yesterday and hasnt moved since, I phoned vet again last night and all vet said on phone was bring her in again for tests,I said thats all you want is more cash for tests you havent a clue whats wrong or you are ignoring the fact after all prolong treatment for something else is a good wage earner for your surgery., and just thinking you are thinking here is another mug we can get cash out of him..we will treat the cat for most obvious problem over active thyroid,all cats guaranteed that,

They didnt verify real problem, her arthritic rear end and if its time to put her to sleep.Id rather she didnt suffer. with long pain. her rear end is as thin as anything feel bones quite easily all over body, but she is well fed, salmon, chicken she eats as much as a dog does, but not last few days,I know she also has a spasm in neck as a farmer kicked her once, where I stayed, he hated cats, she would stand as in a stroke couldnt move then neck in twitches so Id pick her up and rub her neck she would be ok.

You know that vets surgery is a 100yards from my house a 3 minute journey in car and he charged me £70 to pick her up as I have difficulty walking without crutches and to carry a large cat cage also to his place but he didnt mind after all its his cash earner,, the pills he gave me are called Vidalta and maybe right thing for the Thyroid problem but thats not why cat was uplifted to be treated for, wanted to verify back end was gone reason for her falling. over.
    Imajine accuseing me of having an animal for Christmas, Charlie my Jack Rusell died after 22years, my alsatian died after 14 years and now my baby will have to go to sleep after 10 years.and that vet says that about me.people like me shouldnt have pets. Vets are like lawyers and Private Doctors they prey on peoples emotions and hard times they know we love or pets. Anyone else had this illness in their pet .I still dont think OverActive Thyroidsm has anything to do with arthritic rear end.which means animal has to be put to sleep.if it has to be wont be him making anymore cash from me,
    hate people like this lot,,, I stated its a sad country we have free health treatment for even visitors to our country drug addicts well cared for and yet our pets are treated only by how rich we are no freebees for pet illness.
    So Angry
    Jock

2. Gratch

Gratch PetForums VIP

Hi, I'm sorry your cat is struggling and I know how expensive vets can be. Just a couple of questions, is your cat on a complete cat food, either wet or dry? If she hasn't been getting the right nutrients for this long I think it could contribute to what they're saying is wrong. I don't think they would say she has an underactive thyroid without testing for it so this is probably true. It sounds like they believe there is a way to help kitty and they may feel you're leaning towards putting her to sleep without looking through all the options. I'm not suggesting for the world that you would rather cut costs by putting to sleep than running tests and medicating but if you're struggling maybe you should consider handing her over to a no-kill shelter that could help her. It sounds like you love your cat alot but if you can't trust your vets and truly believe it's time for her to go, I do feel it would be best to let a shelter help her first and see if anything could be done. Worst case she gets put to sleep, best case she lives another 4 - 10 years on medication with a family that can truly support her to the best of their abilities. Again I'm in no way applying that you wouldn't do whats best, it just seems that you're thinking it's time for her to go. :(

3. dougal22

dougal22 Banned

I appreciate you're upset; your cat is unwell and you feel you've been unfairly treated by your vet. However, your cat has a chance of living a fair bit longer. A 10 year old cat by todays standards is not old, and guess work as to what is wrong with her is no reason to have her put to sleep :(

It's not clear from your post if you've 'diagnosed' that your cat has arthritis or your vet has? There is treatment for arthritis in cats which can manage the condition very well. It's also not clear if tests have been carried out to determine thyroid function? Again, this is a manageable condition with medication.

I'm rather disturbed by your comments about health treatment for humans and comparing this to pets. It's our choice to have a pet and a responsible pet owner should make provision for their pets by either a savings account or pet insurance. There are also organisations who can assist people with pet health costs in the UK re: PDSA (means tested). Some vets also offer affordable payment plans. Having your cat PTS seems quite a hasty decision considering the fairly young age and no firm diagnosis. On this basis, Gratch's idea about handing your cat over to a shelter is a good one if you do not want to pay for treatment needed for your cat, which is what I've gleaned from your post :(

#3 dougal22, Apr 10, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
    buffie likes this.
  4. CDC

CDC PetForums Member

We can't ask our pets what symptoms they have - as an owner we rely purely on the obvious such as physical signs or personality changes - these can be highly inconclusive and one symptom could apply to hundreds of conditions.

You do sound very concerned about your cat, however you seem to be demanding that your vet agree with your view that it is an arthritic problem and most likley should be put to sleep. Are you open to the idea that it could be something else, and that a variety of tests are necessary to make sure your cat gets the right help for the right condition?

Vets are essentially the same as private health care for humans. Choosing to own a pet, means choosing to pay for private health care if required.

I agree with the others about seeking financial support from some of the charity organistions to help your cat if you are unable to afford it. You could also consider getting a second opinion if you are unhappy with your vet.

5. gloworm*mushroom

gloworm*mushroom PetForums VIP

Hyperthyroidism can cause the problems your cat is having. It can cause muscle wastage which can lead to weakness.

You have assumed your vet is not treating your cat properly. Have you even tried the treatment to see if it will work? And I mean for more than one day.

What if it does work? What if it IS what your vet thinks? You owe it to your cat to give the treatment a go, as you do not know its arthritis, as the symptoms you described DO fit with what your vet has diagnosed.

Calling your vets robbers is never going to help your case. They are not robbers, they are trying to help your cat when all you want them to do is put it to sleep. I am glad your vet is not just willing to put your cat to sleep without fully seeing what the issue is which could give her 5 + more years!

#5 gloworm*mushroom, Apr 10, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
  6. ScottyJock

The vet was the person that stated my cat had Thyroidism, I havent heard of anything like that, when cat was taken to vets my bill states
    Called for Cat at my house, as Im disable and couldnt carry cage and crutches charged me £63 to come for it and £24 to take it to his surgery 300Yards from my house,
    Round trip was =====================£87
    Took a blood sample =================£6.50
    General Health Profile,================ £37
    Synulox RTU 40ml =================== £6
    Dexadreson Inj======================£1.10
    Hospitalisation 1 night=================£12.30
    Clavaseptin Pal tabs 50mg==============£10
    Vidalta tablets given Next day after they got results of blood test,=£23
    + VAT
    My cat was started to eat Whiskas as she doesnt like other kinds of canned food, not that there is much choice at Tescos.I live in a very small town where all town shops closed and Tescos is only store.in all years Ive had cats
    and Dogs all my life , and none of them died with anything more than old age.never needed Vets, so never gave a thought to pet insurances dont even have life insurance myself like most of british people of the working class

There is only 2 PDSAs in my part of Scotland and none in my area closest will be 70 miles away. and they are organised by Postcodes and if you arent in that you get nothing.and im outside both postcode area.s there is one in Stirling a charity caring place,, but again not in my post code area..
    Im in North East Fife where its all rich cattle and sheep farmers, they dont need cheap pet care places, in fact prices quoted here the vet stated is cheapest about.

I dont want to have my cat PTS ,but wont have her in pain suffering, and its not a life for a cat to sleep under the side board all day and night and just arising to stagger to litter tray.she cant jump up anywhere any more, and I lift her but have to lift her down when needed,she just staggers and falls,, she looks at me if she didnt even know me, and no one can tell me that she will be like that rest of her life. a lonely life for her, if she hasnt a clue where she is.

And Im certainly not filling the vets coffers with overpriced medication, just for him to tell me you have all already told me and what I have read about this man made desease.Plus when one thinks on this if tinned cat food harms cats ,, what is canned food doing to humans certainly put me off tinned salmon since fish in tins is laced with some chemical to prevent fish rottening in tins.of course what can we expect even so called fresh chickens in supermarkets are nearly 18 month old by time they are bought in Thailand and sent to Britain to be freshened as seen on Channel 4 Dispatches ,,about Tescos Chickens ,, and what the Tescos Chicken steaklets are made from again put me off anything from Tesco's No wonder they make billions in profits. ..If our pets wont eat cat food of certain brands and makes must be something wrong with them,, Cats and dogs wont just eat anything.

#6 ScottyJock, Apr 20, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  7. ScottyJock

Thanks for your opinion
    In ref to what I stated " Its a sad country we have free health treatment for even visitors to our country drug addicts well cared for"

Drug addicts have a self inflicted illness, why should I pay taxes so junkies can get high and then have longterm illness and expect my taxes to care for them,handing out £200 a week and enough Methadoyne to keep them high..
    and no free treatment for pet owners unless your in a certain postcode.Never heard of any junkies being in wrong post code area.

Same with foreigners they come to Britain havent put anything into the country,, But can put their handsout, for medical health treatment,and get it.No postcode treatment for them..

My son went to work in USA took ill and died in USA and because he wasnt an american they didnt pay for his health treatment, I did and his wife. but they all come to Britain for the freebees and our government is silly enough to treat them.all free let the British pay for them.

8. Chez87

Chez87 PetForums VIP

Are you going to totally ignore this post? Are you not going to at least try your cat on thyroid medication to see if it helps? I'm sure you have a lot of experience with cats through the years but that does not make you a vet.

I agree with what others have said. If all you are willing to do is PTS without trying anything first, you should hand her over to a shelter. My cat is 10 yrs old and I just could not justify giving up on her if she was ill without trying every option beforehand.

9. missye87

missye87 PetForums VIP

I was about to post the same response.
    It doesn't matter how much experience we have, we don't run the tests and diagnose from those tests, so we may have an inkling what could be wrong but could have no proof to back it up. That is why vets exist - they have the knowledge and means to test and diagnose problems.

I would trust your vet if they have tested for hyperthyroidism, they would hardly lie to you about it and ignore any other issues.

Sooty had muscle wastage from CRF, his gait was stiff and looked slightly sore. However once the CRF pills were given time to kick in he put weight back on over his back legs and doesn't at all seem stiff or in pain. The vet said it could be arthritis but was most likely down to his disease, and he was right.

I would give the pills a chance, if you aren't willing to, as the others said, give somebody else a chance to take care of her.

If you struggle with taking her to the vets, I would suggest contacting the Cinnamon Trust. They help people who aren't as mobile or elderly to take care of their pets so they can keep them with them for longer rather than having to be taken into care.

10. Gratch

Gratch PetForums VIP

I appreciate how difficult this must be for you but I really do think that if you aren't able to give her this chance you would be best giving her to a rescue. Better to give her the chance than to cut her life short and it won't leave you wondering if you made the right choice. Best of luck, just please don't pts, take her to a rescue.

11. Erzs

Erzs PetForums Member

Please refrain from attempting to diagnose your cat. It's obvious you care for her, but like us, you are not a vet. You may have had your cat for ten years but that vet will have seen numerous cats, with varying illnesses.

If you are concerned about her suffering, but want to give her a chance, get her on that medication. If you can't do this because of funds then the best thing you can do is rehome her.

You've said the PDSA are unable to help you, but what about the RSPCA? I know from calling them recently they have options to get help with vets funds.

Trust me I know it's a pricey business, Leo cost £150 for xrays and antibiotics. But heck, they're worth it.

The only fee that's worried me is the collection fee. Which I believe may have been what set off you're panic in thinking the vet was robbing you. I would certainly look to getting a taxi as the fees for collection seem extorionate.

Also, read over the information you've been given regarding the vets diagnosis and also what you believe to be wrong. From what's been said both can be treated and being PTS should be the very final option, and only decided by the vet.

12. GreyHare

GreyHare Guest

I going to go against the grain in one way and that is that if you refuse to have your cat treated then you should have her put down because at the moment she is suffering and you are allowing that suffering to happen/continue, so you have three options - pts, hand over to a rescue, or get her the treatment she needs, vets cost money, they are not the NHS they don't get goverment funding so cannot treat for free so stop bleating on about having to pay or what she eats or how everything is a conspiracy and get the cat treatment or stop her suffering and have her put to sleep.

13. Kitty_pig

Kitty_pig PetForums VIP

Your vet sounds quite reasonable to me price wise but I know it has been mentioned in a previous post that you were struggling with the money due to only recieving a state pension etc :( . Only thing I can suggest is what others have, although you feel you know what is wrong with your cat, you need to follow your vets advice.

It would be a shame to have your lovely cat PTS especially if she is only ten, she could have another ten years left. These tablets could make all the difference or perhaps she does need more tests and further treatment, if that is the case perhaps you would consider giving her to a shelter. Not ideal but surely better than having her PTS when she could be fine with treatment.

xxxx

14. gloworm*mushroom

gloworm*mushroom PetForums VIP

Sorry but I cannot ignore this ignorance. The drug addicts thing, well, people will always come above animals unfortunately. Yes people make bad choices, BUT, it was your choice to get a cat.

Foreigners, well, youre being ignorant. Many people have a lot of hardships, and need help. I do not think that the care of pets should come above people who are in dire need. What about all the backyard breeders? Everytime they have a litter it increases the costs of healthcare, why should they be able to keep breeding so that asylum seekers can no longer get help here?

This is a pet forum. Please keep ignorance like this off the forums. Do the best for YOUR cat. Not a 'foreigners' cat, or a drug addicts cat, YOUR cat. You chose to have her, knowing there was no free healthcare, you pay for her healthcare.

Every post you have made is self diagnosing, the many names you have called your vets due to their 'money robbing ways' and how you want the cat PTS cos it has arthritis/is suffering/is living a bad life for a cat/the medication is making her ill. I feel really sorry for your cat right now cos to be honest you dont seem to care for her at all.

Your son having to pay for his treatment in America is irrelevant. Is that not what travel insurance pays for?

15. dougal22

dougal22 Banned

What has this racist cr@p got to do with cat welfare? It has no place on a pet forum. It's pretty obvious you begrudge spending money to ensure the wellbeing of your cat, so do the right thing and hand the cat over to a shelter. Hopefully it will get the health treatment it deserves and be rehomed with a family who won't have any qualms about paying for vet treatment.

16. gladass

gladass Banned

Here is a link as PDSA also have practiseclinics that you can get treatment for your cat from. I put in a fife postcode and got a few addresses, obviously you would be better putting in your postcode and see what turns up
    Who can PDSA help?

17. Lumboo

Lumboo PetForums VIP

ScottyJock's cat was PTS today - read on his other post.

Very sad, and I feel very sorry for him, but at least she is not in pain anymore. RIP Little one.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice