Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Very active pup

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Daniel Vintila, Jan 10, 2021.

1. Daniel Vintila

Daniel Vintila PetForums Newbie

Hello everyone.
    My 3 months old Lab+Collie cross is very very energetic. We have sometimes sessions of 30 40 minutes of tug of war and sometimes 1 hour of fetch, but not consistent, with short breaks. And we do this 2 to 3 times a day. We do take her out but for now is mainly walks and some training, there's no actual play outside as I am waiting for my 10m lead to arrive next week.
    I understand that those playing times are long but otherwise she wouldnt settle and starts chewing around the house.
    Also when she is very tired she just doesnt want to give up and keep on moving around, chewing, wants to play some more.
    Her crate training is still ongoing, and she wouldn't sleep in the crate when she's tired.

So my question is, what do you do when your dog is overtired and just won't give up. Also how to deal with such long play sessions, cause I can't always do it and if she gets bored she starts chewing around the house and for now as I said we are still working on the crate training.

Sorry for the long post.
    Best regards,
    Daniel

2. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Woah! 1 hour of fetch?! 30 to 40 minutes of tug?! There's no way a 3 month puppy should be doing that to begin with and I struggle to believe any human is playing tug that long either. Unless you're an ultra athlete of some sort?
    But either way, that's way too much. It's very possible you're simply overstimulating her. Puppies need to learn to settle just as much as they need to learn to sit and come.

Do you use chews? Frozen Kongs? Teach her to settle in her crate (door open) with a tasty chew or stuffed Kong. Eventually this will turn in to learning that the crate is where she chills.

Exercise is good, but at her age it needs to be almost all free play and sniffing, roaming about, exploring. Not chasing a ball continuously or pulling. She's still teething and settling teeth in to her jaw, you have to be very careful not to actually injure her. Personally I wouldn't be doing much tug at all with a 3 month old because I find tug a really useful reward and I don't want to deter them from the game with sore teeth.

Also remember the more exercise she gets, the fitter she will get and the more exercise she will need to get tired. That's not an anti exercise statement, it's anti using exercise as a substitute for teaching calm statement. Dogs need to learn that even when they're feeling full of beans, they need to settle when told to.

DanWalkersmum, Torin., Sairy and 7 others like this.
  3. Daniel Vintila

I Totally understand that those numbers are high. Please don't think that is 1 continuous hour of only pulling and fetching. She does take a break and then she wants to go again..and again summing up to 1 hour or so.
    We do use frozen kongs and toys... but she hardly likes any of her chew toys. She mainly likes kongs with some PB and I always make sure to put it in her crate as you said and leave the door open.
    Anyway I will see how to reduce all this time to a minimum.
    Thanks for your reply.

4. Ian246

Ian246 PetForums VIP

I think you’ve missed the point - it’s too much physical exercise for a young puppy.

Sairy, JoanneF and O2.0 like this.
  5. Daniel Vintila

I don't see how I've missed the point. When I said I will reduce it to a minimum was to get her into those puppy standards for PE...5 min for each month twice a day if I'm not mistaking. It's just that with her she always wants to do more and that's why I was asking for advice.

6. Emlar

Emlar PetForums Member

Have you tried any brain games or puzzles? We recently bought one of the Nina Ottoson treat puzzles for our pup. Its one of the easiest...and he still can't quite figure it out, but at least it keeps him occupied and tires him out a bit with something that isn't quite so physical!

7. Daniel Vintila

Yes I did buy her 2 puzzle games. Took about 15 minutes to figure it out how to get the treats all the time :). But we ordered a snuffle mat so hopefully that will keep her busy.

8. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

You have a very active, energetic cross breed there.
    Get some lickimats so you can spread some pate type stuff over it, freeze it and then attach (with either sucker pads or just string) it to the side of her crate or pen.
    As she isn't crate trained do you have a safe pen area that you can pop her that is bigger than a crate but not big enough for her to get into mischief? If not then I recommend that you do.
    What do you do with her meals? Do you just fill up a bowl and then give it to her, or do you use it to your advantage?

And most importantly what formal training are you doing with her? Training tires the brain out far more than physical exercise and with her breeds you really do need to train an off switch.

Torin., Sairy and O2.0 like this.
  9. Daniel Vintila

Honestly with her meals I just make sure that she waits for me to get her food ready and doesn't dig in until she's allowed to (if you have other suggestions I would love to hear them). Also I serve her the food in the crate to get her used to being in there.
    And as for her training she already knows a lot of commands: sit, down, paw, stay, leave it, come, look at me. And she does really well on most of them. I try to do them in quick succession or keep her longer into one position such as wait and so on. I do sessions for up to 10 minutes or so...depending on her focus for up to 3 times a day. At the moment we do also some leash walking indoors to teach her to focus on us and leave any temptations we throw in her face ( very early stage).
    Also we do not have an area like a pen. It's mainly the crate or the living room which isn't that big and she spends a lot of time in there, she has a favorite carpet spot where she spends some time.
    Thanks a lot for your advice I will get some lickmats.

10. Emlar

Emlar PetForums Member

Haha, shes obviously a bit smarter than my pup ;) He's still trying to figure out the out the easy puzzle :rolleyes:

Daniel Vintila likes this.
  11. CheddarS

CheddarS PetForums VIP

Think she is training you very well. Training is a great brain game and settle should be first on the list,

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice