UK Pet Forums Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know why he does this, but I want to understand it.

It concerns me because it is a change in behaviour (he has been with me for nearly two years) and over the past week I have noticed him taking up this vertical position on the gravel when resting in evenings/nights. In the day he is perfectly active, eats healthly, engages and interacts well.

However, he does have a softening of scales (perhaps a growth of some sort) in the area just behind his gills towards the top fin. I wonder if it is this growth that is now affecting his resting position, perhaps causing his head to rise upwards when he is not actively moving? Does this position cause him pain/discomfort? How can I help him, maybe help him rest horizontally again?

Attachments

·
Love my furry, feathered and finned family
2,882 Posts
Sorry I'm a newbie to fishkeeping and can't offer a huge amount of advice (I'm sure others on here will be able to help you out more), but have you checked your ammonia and nitrite levels? I believe that's the first thing to check if you have any kind of concerns.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your thoughts! :) I treated it as precursor to a Flipover disease - fed them crushed, de-shelled peas and starved them from any other foods (which hurt me so much when they came excitedly over to me for a feed!); I did more frequent water changes to reduce the alkalinity in the water from their pea poop!; got in some live food treats (which also acts as a laxative, I understand) and got them back on their usual diet; I also replenished their vegetation... which they are rather keenly nipping and nibbling at as I speak - and this seems to have done the trick! :D

He is resting back again in his natural position.. which is great for my peace of mind. He doesn't take up that unnatural 90 degree position any longer :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.