Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Verges

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by rona, May 27, 2017.

1. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Just sent an email to my county council asking them to not cut the verge outside my house as it's old wild meadow and has a huge variety of plants which I listed for them. Also told them that the bees and butterflies like it too, and told them where we all lived :D
    I don't think i'll get any joy from them, I've emailed before and been told that it has to be done :rolleyes:

My local council however listened to a request I made several years ago http://www.petforums.co.uk/threads/just-sent-an-email.310875/#post-1063003050
    They have not cut this one until late in the season for the last couple of years :)

http://plantlife.love-wildflowers.org.uk/roadvergecampaign2014/write_to_your_council/

bordie, HarlequinCat, Matrod and 3 others like this.
  2. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Hope they listen again with this one Rona.

rona likes this.
  3. Jobeth

Jobeth PetForums VIP

That's a shame. The council here puts signs up saying that the verges/roundabouts aren't being cut to protect the wildlife.

4. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Ours has taken to spraying weedkiller all over the place recently - killing loads of the surrounding grass!

Cost cutting exercise apparently, as it's cheaper than strimming. If course, id f they knew anything about the subject the bare earth will soon be re-colonised by weeds so the problem will actually be worse! :rolleyes:

Better to do a time and motion study on their staff so they actually work harder - most I see are sitting reading a paper, smoking a fag or on their mobiles, in their vans parked in a remote layby! :rolleyes:

Sled dog hotel and rona like this.
  5. rona

The guys that do ours are like grease lightening, they are in and out in a flash and cover the whole town in no time. Do a proper job too

Lurcherlad likes this.
  6. rona

What county are you in or is that the district council?
    Our district council does the local roundabouts

7. Jobeth

Jobeth PetForums VIP

Send them the link from plantlife that shows how much Dorset has saved. They might be more interested then...

Lurcherlad and rona like this.
  8. Jobeth

Jobeth PetForums VIP

I'm in Yorkshire.

#8 Jobeth, May 27, 2017
    Last edited: May 27, 2017
    rona likes this.
  9. rona

Thanks. I've sent them the link to plantlife. I'll highlight Dorset if they come back to me :)

Jobeth likes this.
  10. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

Birmingham City Council do them same, there is a small grass verge on our corner with a tree in the middle of it, they decided spray round the tree. we have dead grass for 3 feet all round it.:rolleyes:

Sled dog hotel and Lurcherlad like this.
  11. rottiepointerhouse

rottiepointerhouse PetForums VIP

We are very lucky here in Dorset.

rona likes this.
  12. mrs phas

mrs phas karma is a funny old thing

wont find my council on the plantlife link:(
    Shame as we are ( the houses at the top of the estate) appealing to them not to cut the verge/grass area there as we have Bee orchids coming up. In fact we are petitioning them to allow us to spread some meadow seeds and leave it completely alone until the end of the season
    Few years ago, some enterprising social person:rolleyes: decided that the Industrial estate needed a spruce up, before the Britain's in Bloom committee came around. He managed to cut down three verges and grassed areas full of bee orchids before someone stopped him!!

What really annoys me though, is that my husband is buried in the green cemetery, With permission, I have scattered loads of bee and butterfly friendly wild meadow flowers on and around his grave.
    Last year the town council ( they have responsibility of the cemeteries) timed one of the three mowing cycles (quite accidentaly im sure) just as the cornflowers, ox-eyes, cowslips and such were heavily budded and coming into bloom
    And, yes, they did find out just how cross I was, its supposed to be a flipping meadow after all:mad:

Lurcherlad and rona like this.
  13. rona

Faceless people who have no link or knowledge of the area making decisions :rolleyes:

Same is happening to the countryside and the Charities that are trusted to protect it. :( National policies do not work with living things and mono conservation will kill our diversity!!

Sled dog hotel likes this.
  14. Vanessa131

Vanessa131 PetForums VIP

Our verges are fairly wide, maybe 3-4 metres, so a lot of us park on them instead of our driveways on cutting day so they get left.

rona likes this.
  15. mrs phas

i have never understood why motorway verges have never been utalised for wild flower conservation
    im always tempted, as a passenger, to scatter seeds, out of the window as i travel down a motorway

16. steveshanks

steveshanks PetForums VIP

I would guess the fumes would kill everything, i seem to remember Sweden having problems with unleaded fuel killing off wildlife/flowers on the verges when they switched over. In Saudi they have men out weeding and planting the central reservation on the motorways, used to wave at them every morning :)

17. mrs phas

We've won a stay on the cutting of our verges, Bee Orchids have come up outside of mine they are so pretty and, of course, protected
    some people are so miserable though, moaning and saying theyre going to ask for a cut in the council tax because it doesnt look neat
    pshaw! is what i said to them, as I went out and scattered wildflower and bee/butterfly seeds whilst I had the chance ;)

bee orchid.jpg

18. rona

Brilliant. The strimmer guy has been around here today but for some reason they haven't cut the grass yet, I bet tomorrow is the last day my bees will be happy :(

Thank goodness the honeysuckle has come out in the garden

Lurcherlad likes this.
  19. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

A couple of positive comments on our Council strimmer's: ;)

They have cut back the verge by a metre on a section of a busy, narrow lane with two blind bends. Thank you :)

Two large municipal flower beds (used to be planted with expensive, short lived, expensive to produce/plant/maintain and barren as far as wildlife were concerned) were turned into perennial Wildflower beds. One of them is a sea of bright red poppies! Good job! :)

I think one of the large brown patches elsewhere post the mad weedkiller spree might be turned into another Wildflower bed - fingers crossed!

Personally I think all municipal planting should be a few hardy evergreen shrubs, perennial bulbs, etc. and wildflowers. Much cheaper and better for wildlife. The old fashioned bedding displays are a barren wasteland as far as wildlife is concerned.

Sled dog hotel and rona like this.
  20. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I have a Photinia fully in flower at the moment (among other things) and the bees are loving it! :)

rona likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice