Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Venison bones ?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by brackenhwv, Jan 23, 2012.

1. brackenhwv

brackenhwv PetForums Senior

What venison bones can I feed to my lot, all raw fed ? gave some months ago and caused the older dog to be sick, think it was lower leg bones that they got. Think I read somewhere that you shouldn't give them deer leg bones, hubby got 2 deer this week from gamekeeper friend, so they are being chopped up for the dogs so it's the whole carcass we got.

2. suesdogs15

suesdogs15 PetForums Member

It's all bad for your dogs , so you will have to send it all down here for my dogs for whom it will be fine :lol: Sorry I have no idea about the bones but I can't see them being any different from any other animals bones. I would think it was more likely to have been they ate a little too much as it is quite a rich meat. :D

3. ballybee

ballybee PetForums VIP

Depends on the deer, red i've fed everything but legs bones(let Tummel eat the meat though) but all the other ones Tummels got everything we can't eat, ribs, spine, legs, shoulders, trimmings, offal etc etc

:w00t:

4. pogo

pogo PetForums VIP

I'd feed the lot however my two can easily get through leg bones, so if your dogs struggle i'd just avoid those ones :)

5. toffee44

toffee44 PetForums VIP

Mine eat everything including the head ergh but they love it.

I didnt have a camera at the time but I had three dogs sharing a rib cage spine and neck last year. Was actually a nice thing to see.

6. Kazastan

Kazastan PetForums Member

I have a lot of photos of what my Rotts do to bones from domestic livestock but when it comes to deer the leg bones are the only part of the carcass I wont let them have because they are like an iron bar.

I make a lot of jellied broth and because of the apple cider vinegar used the minerals are drawn from the bones, with domestic livestock at the end of making broth you can crumble the demineralised bones between your fingers but not so with venison leg bones!

7. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

Being a large animal I suppose it's the same as for cow leg bones. I do not feed any weight bearing bones as they can damage the teeth and also are usually from older animals and can splinter. I do let them gnaw on the occasional marrow bone, postmans leg for about an hour but not actually eat the bone, just chew the sinew off of it! Then I leave it in the garden for the magpies and crows to pick at before it goes in the bin. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice