Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

velcro dog

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Oldspot78, Jan 13, 2021.

1. Oldspot78

Oldspot78 PetForums Junior

we have had our 3yr old rescue staffy for 2 months now and she is wonderful, the only thing is she follows me around the house all day, she'll settle well if I'm in the room with her but if i even pop upstairs, by the time I'm coming back down, she's halfway up.

The thing is, if I'm not in the house she is totally chilled out. my husband works from home and she'll lie upstairs with him for a bit but then is happy to sleep on her bed downstairs and just potter about a bit.

When we first brought her home she had a limp in her back leg so it was short walks but a lot of games at home. When I'm at home I have a lot of free time (a lot of time at the moment) so I play with her and interact with her a lot, so its almost like every time i go into another room she feels like she's missing out on fun.

We've built her up to a couple of hours of exercise a day and I've been working on her 'stay' which she'll do if i go into another room, but we've only got that up to about 20 seconds.

She's my 3rd staffy bitch and my other two would just take themselves off into another room to chill out. I don't mind it but I'm just worried she's stressed out. She doesn't seem it and I lavish attention on her whenever she comes near me. Am I doing it wrong? I treat her the same way I did with my previous girls, am I giving her too much attention? (Just to add if she's on her bed or asleep or chilling out I don't bother her, it's only if she seeks attention she gets it (which is most of the time!))

Advice greatly appreciated

Edited to add, she doesn't follow me if I go outside.....

#1 Oldspot78, Jan 13, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
  2. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

If she doesn't seemed stressed out , then I wouldn't worry about it . Its still early days . You could leave her something to chew while you are out of the room see if that helps .

Lurcherlad likes this.
  3. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Both of my dogs will follow me around the house (one is Velcro, the other is just nosy!). If I don’t want them following me I close the baby gate. It’s unusual for either of my dogs to choose to be in a different room to me.

She may stop this behaviour as she spends longer with you or she may not, but I don’t think it’s a problem unless you decide it is one.

kimthecat and Lurcherlad like this.
  4. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Jack wanted to be near me when he came home from rescue but eventually settled down once he got used to his new home and life and that I always came back.

He was picked up as a stray so I wasn’t surprised he was a bit needy at first. He’s a very sensitive boy.

Just lately, after almost 9 years, he again likes to be near me and will come and find me in the house if I’m gone more than a few minutes.

He’s fine if I go out.

kimthecat likes this.
  5. Oldspot78

Oldspot78 PetForums Junior

Thanks for your replies, I don’t mind it at all, I just worried she would get over tired, I love her being near me, plus I have the added bonus that her recall is brilliant (not that she goes far from me anyway) I think I just need to relax and enjoy her, she’s a real ray of sunshine after being dogless for 9 long months

kimthecat likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice