Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Vehicle Advice Please

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by mrsmjs, Nov 1, 2012.

1. mrsmjs

mrsmjs PetForums Newbie

Hello I am new to this forum and looking for some advice.
    I have taken on a rescue dog who has problems with his back legs. He is 3 years old and has trust issues which means he is unpredictable and does bite when he panics. For this reason we are hesitant to actually pick him up and lift him into our car. We have allowed him to jump into the car but it appears to cause him some discomfort afterwards. He is afraid to use a ramp or a step so we are trying to find a vehicle with a very low back to make it easier for him to get in. We have recently tried a Toyota Yaris verso and even that is a little too high at the back and to be honest we feel like we are on show with all the windows. Ideally we would like an estate car but cannot afford a new model, preferable a 2001 to 2003 that is not too heavy on fuel. Does anyone have any ideas please? Thanks in advance

2. Dober

Dober PetForums VIP

Hi, welcome to the forum.

You could get a different car (I know VW Touaregs have pretty low back ends) but I wonder how hard you've worked at getting the dog used to the ramp? If you could get him used to the ramp it'd be much cheaper and easier than replacing the car, as i'm sure you're aware!

I would work really slowly, placing the ramp flat on the floor and praising him for touching it, stepping on it with one paw, stepping on it with all paws ect ect and gradually work up to raising up the height, and practising in the garden. You could try using clicker/marker training for this? To get my boy used to the treadmill, I would feed him on it and he wouldn’t get to eat his dinner until he had all four paws on the treadmill!

If you're not comfortable with him due to his reactions, have you thought about enlisting the help of a professional? You could even consider T.Touch?

3. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

4. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

5. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

How about a wheelchair-adapted car with a rear ramp that's part of the car, raised and lowered by hydraulics? A bit of an extreme buy to suit a dog, maybe.....

6. BobbyBrownDog

BobbyBrownDog PetForums Junior

what size dog are we talking? I have a cmax and that is quite low slung for a family vehicle.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice