Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

veggy question

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by gem88, Nov 20, 2012.

1. gem88

gem88 PetForums VIP

ok i've looked through the veg list of whats safe and whats not for the furbabies which has been great :)

my question is how much and how often?

while im experimenting they both love broccoli so they get half a broccoli most days day (between them) or i chop a apple in half and they have that.i give a small carrot once a week as they love it but i know they cant have too much.

just wondered how much and how often your buns get veg? am i giving too much? not enough? sat typing this i'm now wondering if they should have as much carrot as they do as i know its meant to be occasional :confused:

any help much appreciated :D

2. B3rnie

B3rnie Guest

Now this is something that you might get a million and one different ideas :D

Personally I only feed veg once a week because I have buns here with delicate tummies so too much veg can upset them and once a week seems to work for them. They get a bowl of veg between the group and normally spring greens are the base and then I just switch up what I put with them but I feed mostly spring greens, herbs and forage (that I go pick once a week).

For you I would cut down how much broccoli you feed because it is quite high in calcium so can cause excess bladder sludge to form, apples I would put into treat status because of the sugar and I would cut the carrot so that you only give them half a carrot a week (I'd probably go for even less but half a carrot should be fine).

3. JordanRose

JordanRose Master of the Whingey Cat.

My two now get one small portion of veg for breakfast. This is mainly Spring Greens- a single leaf broken up (I've found any other leaf causes tummy upsets with my two), and then something else hiding in there (a sugarsnap each, half a green bean each, half a babycorn each, or a couple of small brocolli florets between them). Carrots I feed one every 2-3 weeks, normally. They get a small bit of apple about monthly. Depends what I have in, really :)

God, I sound stingy! :lol: It means they eat LOTS of hay, though, so can only be a good thing!

4. gem88

gem88 PetForums VIP

ok thanks for that i shall cut down and have a go with other veg and see what they go with. they like celery too but thats only when i get it in for stuff indoors.

jordan that sounds like the stir fry veg from tescos? (minus the chilli of course) :lol:

i shall research a bit more and see what i find for them :D xx

5. B3rnie

B3rnie Guest

Be very careful with celery the stringy bits can get caught in the teeth and cause serious problems, yet another veg that I won't touch :lol:

6. Hel_79

Hel_79 PetForums Senior

A lot of it is adjusting according to individual rabbits' needs, as Bernie points out. In my case, I introduced Buddy to veg slowly. He and I are very lucky that nothing much seems to upset him; he's quite a robust little chap to be honest. I tend to give him a handul of spring greens a day, split into two portions so that it's spread out. I might add a couple of broccoli florets or a handful of fresh parsley to this a few times a week. He gets half a carrot once a week, too, or small piece of apple. He also likes cauliflower, kale and green beans, all of which he might have a small nibble of very occassionally. To be honest, I have to be careful because he's always hungry and will eat anything! I drew up a feeding rota to make sure I didn't overfeed or slip in excess treats - and it ensures hubbie always knows what to do if I'm not there.

7. Summersky

Summersky PetForums VIP

We are reallly mean. But like Bernie says, you will get lots of different answers.

Ours are largely fed on hay - loads of course, and different types for variety - and a small amount of pellets - they get really excited at these, poor things.

We never feed greens or carrots or boroccili or spring greens. But then many of ours have delicate tummies.

Medication often goes on a basil leaf. They get apple leaves (in season) and sticks, dandelion leaves and a little parsley as treats. Also dried herbal mixes.

If we are trying to feed them up, they bet a piece of banana, apple or pear.

A couple of ours have to have Pro Fibre pellets daily too, or they stop thriving.

Whatever you do, add it very gradually, one at a time, then slowly incease, watching for any tummy upsets.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice