Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Veggie diet for dogs...?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by *WillsTillsBills*, Jun 22, 2009.

1. *WillsTillsBills*

*WillsTillsBills* PetForums Senior

Hi!!

I was just wondering if anyone feeds their dog a veggie diet? and what it consists of?

Thanks, Han

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I know wafcol used to do a vegetarian food.

Personally i wouldnt inflict my morals onto my dogs. They are omnivores, and unless there is a health reason, then they should be a fed an appropriate diet.

3. *WillsTillsBills*

mmmm, I just want to give them a big variation in diet.... they have chicken, tuna, salmon.... I love giving them a new topping... I've tried tripe aswel, buuuut it just smells too much lol :idea: just trying to think up a few more.

Thankyou :p

4. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Oh i thought you meant you wanted them to be vegetarian.

Mine eat all sorts of fruit and veg. Alfie will force lettuce down him if hes desperate. They mainly get, carrot, apple (no pips/core) a bit of banana, and the odd lick of mango.

5. *WillsTillsBills*

Noooo not completly, I heard about it in the newspaper recently and thought I'd ask...

Oooo I will try the carrot tommorrow, I'm sure the youngest will much away, its our OAP bulldog who might turn up his nose :)

6. CheekoAndCo

CheekoAndCo PetForums VIP

When Cheeko got fed meat he loved asda smart price frozen veg mixed in his food. Was cheap and filled him up. We've managed to get him onto hard food now but he does steal the odd carrot, sweetcorn and bits of parsley from the guinea pigs at times. He eats anything just about.. We tried the tripe when we were at dog training and one weekend when mum was cooking it all I had a stomach bug and needless to say we never bought it again!

7. *WillsTillsBills*

I got some of the veg from asda!! they love it!! I got a 'thanks mom this is great :)' look from them all! hehe

8. bichonsrus

bichonsrus PetForums Senior

My dogs love a bit of veg with their dry dog food, i also put down the water the veg was cooked in (once it has cooled) as they love that too and its good for them with all the viamins that have come out of the veg. They also like freshly cut carrot pieces as a treat too.

9. *WillsTillsBills*

I tried the carrot the other day when having a training session, and they loved it... has anyone tried apple? I've heard some people say its not good... some people say its fine?

10. CheekoAndCo

CheekoAndCo PetForums VIP

I never thought of putting veg into his hard food! I'd give it a try but within the next few weeks I'm taking him off of Bakers so I don't want to make too many changes.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice