UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as you know ive rescued a bsh, well i have her vaccination card and i have a slight concern so any help or advise would be appreciated please.
she was vaccinated on 2nd november 2011 but the expiry date on the sticker says expiry date 30th november 2011.....shouldnt the vaccine expire a year later 2012.:confused:

·
Registered
44 Posts
as you know ive rescued a bsh, well i have her vaccination card and i have a slight concern so any help or advise would be appreciated please.
she was vaccinated on 2nd november 2011 but the expiry date on the sticker says expiry date 30th november 2011.....shouldnt the vaccine expire a year later 2012.:confused:
That's a good question CC and I honestly don't know! I guess that technically the vaccine isn't out of date, as it was given before 30/11/11 - but that is cutting it fine :confused:

·
Registered
14,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
its printed.:confused: i think the breeder has taken a sticker off another cats vaccination card and stuck this one one, so the cats not vaccinated, just assuming of course.
also for the first vaccination there is no sticker just a number written in.

·
Mentored by Meeko
26,469 Posts
If you mean the vaccine used had an expiry date of 30/11/2011 then although this is a bit close I'm fairly certain it is okay as it was used before the expiry date which in effect is a "use by" date.Best bet would be to contact either the vet who vaccinated the cat or your own vet for clarification of the date situation.

·
Registered
14,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i phoned the vet the receptionist wasnt very helpful.
she just said yes we look after the clients cats and yes the cat will be vaccinated for leukemia...i told her you obviously havent checked for me as leukemia hasnt been given, she just said ok well she would now be due a booster anyway and she couldnt give me anymore information as im not the customer.
i know the expiry isnt out of date but i would have thought the expiry would have been longer than this, ive checked all my vaccination cards and expiries are a year ahead, maybe this vet practise doesnt have many cats to vaccinate, or maybe im to suspicious.;)

·
Registered
7,112 Posts
Would it be worth speaking with your own vet asap and registered your rescue (if you havent already) explaining your concerns. Your vet may be able to get its history better and quicker.

Just a thought

·
Administrator
35,985 Posts
If the vet knew that you had taken the cat in as a rescue I'm sure they could have been more helpful :( I know they have data protection to consider but you are only asking to check that the poor girl has actually been vaccinated.
I can't believe that a vet would have so few cats to vaccinate that they would have used an almost out of date vaccine :sosp:

G

·
If you mean the vaccine used had an expiry date of 30/11/2011 then although this is a bit close I'm fairly certain it is okay as it was used before the expiry date which in effect is a "use by" date.Best bet would be to contact either the vet who vaccinated the cat or your own vet for clarification of the date situation.
This is what I think.

On one of my dogs vaccination cards there is a printed expiry date. It simply meant that the vaccine they used had to be used by that date not that the vaccine given lasts until that date. Does that make sense?

·
Registered
10,861 Posts
I suspect it's got such a short date because this was the first of the initial course of vaccines, so she will need another. Normally the vaccines are 3 weeks apart, but you can wait up to 4 if necessary, so this would explain the date perfectly, as it's 4 weeks to the day.

·
Registered
14,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i dont think so carly but i maybe wrong.
the first vaccination there is no sticker just a number, the 2nd vaccination date 3 weeks later has a sticker but maybe this vet used an almost out of date vaccine, never mind she is due a booster now anyway so i will let treaclesmum's vet decide which is best, im sure he will know.:)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.