Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Vaccinatios

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by claire115, May 2, 2011.

1. claire115

claire115 PetForums Junior

Hi Everyone

I've been reading the forum for a while and found it a wealth of information, but this is my first time posting. I'm a bit confused and would really appreciate a little help.

I bought home my beautiful Sphynx kitten last weekend, he was 12 weeks and due for his second vaccine on the 29th of April, but as we had travel quite a way to get him, after much talking the breeder agreed to let me bring him home and trust me to get 2nd vaccination and neutering. Which of course I will.

Anyway, I took him to the vets on the 29th for 2nd vaccination, but as my vets uses a different one, the vet said we had to start again giving him the course of two vaccinations to make sure they work correctly. He gave a full check and said kitten was absolutely fine and it was perfectly ok to do this with the vaccinations.

So today I emailed the breeder with photos and just to say he was doing fine and getting on brilliantly with my other Sphynx boy.I also said what the vet had told me.
    She has now got back to me saying her vet assured the first vaccination given was compatible with any others and if they give him a 3rd vaccination it could make him ill.

The breeder is a lovely lady with loads of experience and has offered for me to get my vets to call her.

On the other hand I want to be able to trust the vet I take my babies to, I would be devestated to do anything that may make him poorly. : (

My plan is to call the vet tomorrow morning, and explain the situation, possibly put them in touch with the breeder.

So sorry for the long post but I just hoped someone may have had the same situation or some advice.

Thanks so much xx

2. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Hello hun, and welcome to the forum! And of course congrats on your kitten.

Did you get the vaccination card that has the details of the first lot of kitten vac? If yes, did you take that along to the vet?

3. Doolally

Doolally PetForums Senior

The trouble is there's lot's of different companies making vaccines, and although they're all essentially one and the same (as in what they include) no vaccine manufacturer has spent any money researching if it is safe to use one brand followed by another and whether this will give the same protection. As the research hasn't been done, the vets don't have the back up from the vaccine manufacturers should something go wrong, so vets won't do it and will say you need to start again getting both vaccines done with the same brand.

So, you either start again with your vets brand, or phone around and find someone who uses the same brand as the one he was done with first and get the second one done there.

And piccies please, i'd love a Sphynx!

4. 2lisa2

2lisa2 PetForums VIP

has as been said i would phone round an find a vet that gives out the same vaccinations :)

5. claire115

Hi Guys

Thank you so much for the welcome and the replies :)

The thing is he did have the 2nd different vaccination with my vet as the vet assured me he would be ok to have this and a 3rd vaccination, I took in the vet record card i had to show him. So now its too late to find another vet that uses the original vaccine used
    It wasn't till the email from the breeder that i had any concerns as like i said the vet said this course of action would be fine and i didn't really have any reason to doubt him :(

So now he's had two different vaccinations , which the vet says may not do their job as they are different and he should have the 3rd to make sure. And the breeder saying not to give a 3rd as it will make my baby poorly.

I will make some phone calls tomorrow and try and sort it out ! But Thankyou again!

I have attached a couple of pictures of my boys, Baby Wilbur ( the current cause of more grey hair for me! ) and Gorgeous Hugo.

Attached Files:

6. claire115

Hi
    I think we have come to a conclusion!
    After many phone calls to the vet today and i have to say him being very understanding and helpful Wilbur is going to go ahead with the 3rd vaccination. The vet actually called the manufacturer of the vaccines to double check the breeders information that they should be compatible and he shouldn't have the 3rd.
    So now the breeder is happy that my vet went out of his way to help out my confusion and worry and the vet is happy that wilbur can have the 3rd vaccination with no problems! :)
    So thanks for letting vent my worries and the replies :thumbup:

7. CandyApocalypse

CandyApocalypse PetForums Member

Welcome to the forum, your cat is lovely. This whole vaccinations thing is so confusing isn't it? Glad you have come to a decision.

8. Angie2011

Angie2011 PetForums VIP

Hi and welcome! :)

9. claire115

Hi
    Thanks for the welcome:)
    I'm on here so much and love it, really should start posting more! xx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice