Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Vaccinations

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Alicia2011, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Alicia2011

Alicia2011 PetForums Member

I've never had a dog before so please excuse my dumbness :D When you get a dog, and you take it to be vaccinated, what is it vaccinated against? I've heard of puppies having their first injections, so are they vaccinated against some diseases and then they have to go back for more injections whilst they are still a puppy? Then do they just have boosters yearly?

2. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

I think (without looking at my dogs' docs) it's parvo, lepto and canine distemper, not sure if it's anything else, although I have a sneaking suspicion I may have missed something. Lepto is a funny one, because the vaccination is against a bacteria, and isn't proven effective. The lady who bred my FCR bitch is anti lepto vaccinations, and since reading up a little more, it appears that the vaccination may not even be effective up to the date of their next boosters in any case.

I've chosen not to give my chocolate Labrador bitch boosters from now on (Indie) as she appeared to have an adverse reaction to her last lot, developing a canine papilloma on her nose following her jabs. She's now six, so I think she should have good resistance by now.

Vaccination routines vary from practice to practice, some do all vaccinations, including Kennel Cough, which is pretty pointless really, and others prefer to rotate as they are aware after the first set of annual boosters, the dog is immune for more than 12 months.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice