Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Vaccinations

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by kellyrich, May 11, 2010.

1. kellyrich

kellyrich PetForums VIP

Hi

I know people on here have different view on vaccinations 9in older cats and indoor cats especially) from reading posts in the past but wanted to ask again!

Siggy is a 7 year old BSH and has had vaccinations every year so far! He is a house cat and goes in the garden daily for a run about. Do i still need to keep getting him vaccinated every year?

George is 10 months old, and also a house cat, he had his jabs when he was a baby! Do i just get them done a year after he had his first ones and then each year after that?

Is it just one injection a year?

Please can i have some of your views and advice as i know people differ due to outdoor and indoor cats etc etc and i want to do what is best - thanks!

2. groundhogdaze

groundhogdaze PetForums Member

If your cats are insured it will be a prerequisite of the insurance that their vaccinations are kept up to date. It's your choice but if one of your kitties goes awol for a day or two and comes back with some disease and passes that on to your other cat how would you feel? I make sure mine is vaccinated but like everything else it's your choice.

3. Tje

Tje Banned

I really don't mean to be funny... I just don't want to give an actual opinion (last time I got into the vaccination debate... well, suffice to say one person strongly disagreed with me, lol)

I just wanted to say that another possible reason for possibly keeping vaccinations up to date... say you had to go away suddenly and didn't have a cat-sitter... no catteries will accept cats who aren't fully up to date on vaccinations. (but you probably thought of that anyway)

To vaccinate or not to vaccinate (annually) is I feel one of the toughest decisions we have to make for our pets. Mine are also indoor cats. Even the vet community doesn't follow one hard and fast set of rules when it comes to vaccinations. That makes it so much tougher for us mere owners to know what is best.

best of luck in your decision making!!

4. IndysMamma

IndysMamma PetForums VIP

My personal opinion is better safe than sorry... I recently had a worry with Gypsy as to whether she had a heart murmur and whether I should vaccinate at all... indoor only here too.

In the end I went with the vaccs anyway, found out today her murmur is apparently stress induced and not a worry...

But the main reasons I vaccinate can be summed up as bullet points

> Better safe than sorry
    > Required if I need an emergancy cattery stay for them
    > Required for showing
    > Required for the insurance

5. kellyrich

kellyrich PetForums VIP

Indysmama - as i said in my post my cats are indoor so wont be going walkabout and brining back a disease...if i can help it :D and i dont have them insured at the moment but am looking into it!

Tje - thanks for your advice, it was helpful, but we do usually have cat sitters anyway such as family but i had already thought about what you say in case we didnt have any and can see that this would be a problem.

I keep my rabbit vaccinated with all his injections as he goes into boarding when we go away. Its not that i dont want to get my cats done im just wondering if it is actually really needed. I know so many cats that have lived into their late teens/early twenties that have only been vaccinated when they were kittens.

It just seems that in the old days nobody got their animals vaccinated, expect dogs, and they were ok then so why the big hype about it now! Maybe just cos forums have come about and people have strong opinions? :eek:

Could anybody answer my question about what vaccinations are needed each year, how many and what for etc?

Thanks xx

6. groundhogdaze

It used to be that years ago when when pets had a major illness or injury they were just put down. Nowadays with the advances in veterinary practices animals are healthier than they've ever been and the means to comabt illnesses that a few years ago would have proved fatal are now available. Its personal choice but my choice is to have mine vaccinated and insured.

The vaccinations are for Feline Lukeamia (sic) and Feline Calicivirus (Cat Flu) and Feline Rhinotracheitis (Cat Flu2) which can be fatal. It cost me less than £30 for the boosters. Considering the emotional pain and the cost of replacing Minx it's £30 well spent in my opinion. I also believe that PDSA -but will stand to be corrected - will give cats vaccs for free if their owners are unemployed or struggling financially.

#6 groundhogdaze, May 12, 2010
    Last edited: May 12, 2010
  7. kellyrich

kellyrich PetForums VIP

Thanks for your post, very helpful. I have known a few cats that have survived many years without illness that havent had jabs, i suppose its just down to luck as with adults! :D

Im not actually sure what vaccinations my 7 year old has had, in his vet card they have been done every year but im not sure what they actually are, i dont understand it! Im just not keen on taking him to the vets and the vet telling me that he needs this and that when they are just trying to get money out of me but i suppose im going to have to really. Is that £30 each you paid?

I dont need any help with money, its not that i cant afford them by any means, i wouldnt have them if i couldnt afford them, i was just looking for advice on what to do as wasnt sure if it was the same for indoor and outdoor cats etc etc.

Many thanks

8. groundhogdaze

That was £30 in total (I'm pretty sure it was a few quid less than that as it was special offer) for both jabs - one lukemia and one for both flu viruses. I know some people say the boosters can last up to 3 years but we're getting ours done every year.

9. tagalong

tagalong PetForums Senior

10. IndysMamma

IndysMamma PetForums VIP

just think how many objects you touch every day, and how many people you touch... shake hands with etc...

now if you touch someone's hand and they've been cuddling a cat with cat flue or feline enteritis and you then go home you could pass that on... my cats are indoor only too but I know I touch other animals, people and places where other cats go (bus stop benches, wallls etc) that I refuse to risk taking the diseases home to my cats.

Because they are indoor only they will have a lower immune response *anyway* as they have less to stimulate their immune system on a daily basis... as I said before... better safe than sorry.

Also there is always the chance they can get out by accident for whatever reason... and pick up an illness that way. If a visitor opens a window/leaves a door open etc etc...

#10 IndysMamma, May 12, 2010
    Last edited: May 12, 2010
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice