Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Vaccinations - side effects?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by ellie.p, Jun 16, 2010.

1. ellie.p

ellie.p PetForums Junior

We're picking up our kitten next week at 8 weeks old :)D), and having him checked over and vaccinated the following week.

I was just wondering a couple of things:

1) What vaccinations will he be given?
    2) Will there be any side effects after he is vaccinated, and how long will those take to go away?

I have done a little Google searching, but you find a lot of horror stories, and picking through those to get to the useful stuff is hard!

When we rang the vets they said that there shouldn't be anything except maybe being a little drowsy afterward, but I just wanted to check with your own experiences!

As well as any common, nothing-to-worry-about side effects, is there anything we should watch out for that could be a problem?

Thanks! :)

Ellie

2. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

My new kitten is the first I have ever had vaccinated....and although she will have her one year booster I do not currently plan to have yearly boosters after that. I think that off the record a lot of vets would agree with that....but they are bound by the guidelines set by the drug companies.
    She was very much quieter for a couple of days after both shots, and appetite very poor. She did bounce back after that though.
    When I took her for the first shot at vets, after he gave the injection I went to pop her back in her box and he casually said 'oh no, put her down and let her run around for a minute or two...the one I vaccinated yesterday went into anaphylactic ( sp? ) shock!

3. Shabbydoll

Shabbydoll PetForums Member

I would be concerned if your kittens are not eating, if they are throwing up and if they are having trouble keeping balanced. If I were you I would get what is required now but I wouldn't get yearly vaccinations. I do get mine by vaccinated for rabies but that is only because it's required here.

Don't panic though. Just keep watch. Mine were fine after the shots.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice