Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Vaccinations and Titre Tests

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Gyuben, May 23, 2017.

1. Gyuben

Gyuben PetForums Newbie

Hello all!

I am new here and joined today after struggling to get any impartial advice from my own vet and other vets in my area.

My 4 years old Boston Terrier was due to have his core vaccinations done in April, but we decided due to other health conditions that we would titre test before just going ahead. Cut forward nearly three weeks and two lots of blood test, because the lab botched the first test and we have the results.

He has more than triple the immunity he needs for both Parvo and Distemper but he only has half of what he needs for Hepatitis (or adenovirus). I can't go into specifics about how the test works, but I have been reading up and have at least basic understanding. Soooo, given that he doesn't need any further vaccine for parvo and distemper we asked about a single vaccine for hepatitis and apparently there isn't one!

The core vaccines are given as one. That's it, all or nothing, those are the choices given to us by our own vet.

We don't give the non-core vaccines (for good reason) and I don't see why there isn't more choice for people in this situation. I know it ultimately comes down to money in terms of the vets/vaccine manufacturers because three vaccines in once obviously costs more than a single shot for one disease.

Has anyone else come up against this? If so, what did you do? If anyone understands more about titres and vaccinations too your input is more than welcome! We want to make sure that he is protected but we absolutely do not intend to over vaccinate.

2. Blackadder

Blackadder PetForums VIP

When was he last vaccinated?
    Any positive Titre generally indicates immunity but not a guarantee, it only measures antibody levels which are just one stage in the bodies immune system. In fact, a negative Titre isn't necessarily bad news because of how the immune system works.

3. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Have a look at this group on Facebook: Canine Titre tests and Vaccination group

4. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

The world small animal veterinary association (WSAVA) Guidelines on vaccinations of cats and dogs should tell you everything you need to know
    about vaccinations, duration of immunity, titre testing etc. Its a long read but worth it from the information.

http://www.wsava.org/sites/default/files/WSAVA Vaccination Guidelines 2015 Full Version.pdf

There is also something known as immunological memory
    The presence of antibody, even at low levels, means the immune memory response will kick in, and within hours of exposure, the dog’s body will bring the infection under control. There will be infection, but it won’t cause disease. There’s a big difference between infection and disease. And in fact, re-infection without disease isn’t a bad thing because it leads to natural stimulation of the immune response.

You can read more on titre testing which the above comes from on
    Vaccination and Changing Protocols – Part 2
    SHARE ON:
    [​IMG]
    byRonald D. Schultz, BS, MS, PhD, DACVM Full link below

http://ivcjournal.com/vaccination-protocols-part-2/

#4 Sled dog hotel, May 25, 2017
    Last edited: May 25, 2017
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice