Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

vaccination text from vet

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Shelly1973, May 28, 2020.

1. Shelly1973

Shelly1973 PetForums Newbie

I've had a text from my vet to say my dogs vaccination is now overdue and if I don't get it done by 12/6/20 then a vaccine course will have to be started and that will cost me more.

I feel like I am being held to ransom by my vet, come now or be charged more. I don't really want to come at the moment with the pandemic and if I was late with my child's vaccinations it would not matter, I would just get them done when I can, I would not have to start a whole new course! It just sounds off to me. I would be grateful for anyone else's thoughts on this?

2. Babyshoes

Babyshoes PetForums Senior

If it's any consolation, most vets have contactless systems for taking the pets in, while you wait in the car. In most places, someone will come out to the car park, but at mine they have a double door, so they'll let you know when to put your pet through the first door, while the vet is watching through the glass in the second door.

If a consultation is necessary while the pet is with the vet, it will happen by phone. You'll also need to pay by phone. They'll then bring the pet out with any medicines.

Take disinfectant wipes, or spray and tissues to clean the lead or the handle and catches of the carrier of you use one and you'll be fine. I was very nervous when I had to go - I'm not on the shielding list but feel maybe I should have been - and I felt it was safe for me to do.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  3. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I don’t think the vet is holding you to ransom but simply giving the info that the drug company will have stipulated with that particular drug.

There is a limit as to how far past a booster date to go without losing efficacy.

If your vet is offering to give boosters now I’m sure they have a procedure set up to keep everyone safe.

I’d ring and ask what their procedures are.

Also google the drug and the drug company’s guidelines too so you know what they recommend if you are in any doubts of the time limits.

MontyMaude, pinklizzy and Torin. like this.
  4. Gemmaa

Gemmaa PetForums VIP

That is pretty standard to be fair.
    We get a reminder once a month, for three months..and the third letter warns us we might have to start the course again.

Torin. likes this.
  5. wee man

wee man PetForums VIP

Our vet gives 3 puppy vaccinations then a booster at 1 year, there after a 3 yearly booster is all that is required.The 3 yearly booster does not require a full set of the vaccines again.
    It may be quiet different though if you intend putting your dog into kennels.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  6. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Timings depend on the drug used too.

Torin. likes this.
  7. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Lepto still needs to be given yearly.

Torin. likes this.
  8. wee man

wee man PetForums VIP

9. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Every vets do the core vaccine boosters every 3 years as that is the recommendation plus lepto and usually parainfluenza yearly. If you want to read anti vaccine stuff that is up to you but if you want your dog to be more risk free then vaccinate. If you go 3 years and 3 months then most vets suggest restarting to make sure your dog is covered. Not sure it is essential but if your dog did get one of the diseases you would have no come back on either your vet or the drug company. So completely up to you but it is the normal protocol.

OP, I think a lot of vets are starting to do boosters for those dogs that have reached the 3 month limit. You do not go in with your dog, just hand it over at the door and wait outside in your car.

Jamesgoeswalkies and Torin. like this.
  10. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

I like that my vet does text reminders; if you don't want a memory boost I'm sure they'd stop texting you if you asked to opt out of the service.

My vets are doing a vaccine amnesty for dogs who go over the 3 months on account of lockdown though. As in even if the course has to be restarted, they're only charging the cost of the booster. It could be that some vets in your area will be offering this, or even that your vets are if you look into the details. I suspect the text will be a standard one, as covid-specific info is probably too wordy to fit into a quick reminder text.

There's scare stories about everything out there. As ever remember that these things self-select.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice