Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Vaccination Dilemma

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Nonnie, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Oscar is now 12, he is on Urilin, Previcox and Vetmedin and is now due for his annual booster.

I am, however, unsure about whether to go ahead and have it done. I have discussed it with my vet, and he feels Oz doesnt need it. He said by his age he should have a good level of immunity, and in his 30 odd years of working in this area, he has only seen a few cases of parvo, and nothing else that we vaccinate against (bar KC of course). Also that it may overload Oscar's immune system.

I know its ultimately my choice, but i cant help but be a little paranoid about not having it done. If something is going to happen, or some disease to be caught, it will be Oscar that gets it. He's already had a rare fungal infection in his feet that got a load of lab geeks excited.

He doesnt mix much with other dogs. We walk on private land where only 4 other dogs go, all of which are vaccinated. He spends a lot of time in water, but my vet said they have never seen a confirmed case of lepto.

One day im swaying one way, the other the next.

2. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

If he were my dog, I'd let it slide this year, and perhaps titre test at some point to see what his immunity levels are, more for my peace of mind than anything else. I'd be firmly in the don't vaccinate camp :)

3. dobermummy

dobermummy Banned

if it was me i think i would leave the annual booster. i know its a tough one because its about trying to weigh up whats best for Oscar.

4. mollymo

mollymo Life is Golden

If you trust your vet....then I would go with him in this case.

You only walk Oscar in very quiet areas so less chance of mixing with unvacinated dogs.

5. dexter

dexter PetForums VIP

i wouln't have it done if it was me , i'm in the same situation my 11 year old is due to be done soon but as i have no intention of kennelling her in the future i'm not bothering to get it done.

6. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I suppose the other thing i have to consider is my insurance, and whether or not it will affect that at all.

Im currently swaying more towards not going ahead with it. Im sure ill change my mind a few times in the next few days though.

7. Blondie

Blondie PetForums VIP

I wouldnt have it done, if he is on that medication, his immune system is prob compromised somewhat anyhow and it states in the MErck Manual, dogs ill, either acutely or chronically shouldnt be having ANY vaccinations.

Just my opinion, I dont give any annual boosters at all, and never have done for over 10 years now.;)

8. Ridgielover

Ridgielover PetForums Senior

I most certainly wouldn't have it done - but I don't routinely vaccinate my dogs after their initial injections. Very few vets actually recommend yearly boosters any more.

If you are worried, why don't you have his titre levels tested for immunity?

9. bird

bird PetForums VIP

I can fully understand you waivering over this and I'm inclined to say not to bother with the boosters. But also like you I'd be worrying over whether this was the right decision. But if the booster is roughly on the 12mth mark now, you've still a few months to go before making your mind up fully. I'm always wary of over vacc'ing so I asked my vet just how long I could leave it between jabs and was told 16mths max. So plenty time yet. ;)

10. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

I definately wouldnt do it. Mine was due her 1st boosters last June but had been having tummy problems and I didnt get her done. Went down the homepathic route instead.

11. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

I'd listen to your vet. I personally don't vaccinate my dogs after the age of 10 yrs and my old vet would look at his records when they got to 8-9 yrs old and refuse to give them further vaccines, as he said they were swimming in the stuff.

12. Sarahnya

Sarahnya PetForums Senior

At least you have an honest vet, mine give me a guilt trip over vaccinating all the time (I only have pup & first year vacs).

13. new westie owner

new westie owner PetForums VIP

Bobby has his 1st yr booster on friday im getting it done :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice