Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Utility Company (Rant Warning)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by sskmick, Sep 29, 2013.

1. sskmick

sskmick PetForums VIP

Gees I'm so annoyed.

Background info, we have lived here a little over a year. I took over the utility bills when my Aunt sadly passed away two years ago. She was paying £75.00 per month for gas and electric, bearing in mind when I took over payments the house was empty. However I was told to increase the payment to £100.00 which I did because we were heading into winter and didn't want burst pipes etc..

My previous house was all electric (I had the gas capped off from outside) I did not have Central Heating but I had electric radiators throughout I was paying £500 per month.

When we moved in here I increased the monthly payments for this house which I over estimated and received around £1,000 back. Some of you may recall this. My monthly payments were readjusted, smashing.

Just received my bill recent bill, bearing in mind I have been paying the amount asked on a monthly basis and I was £300 something in credit carried forward from the previous bill. The estimated amount outstanding is £1,244.59. It gets better my new monthly payment of £480 something, will be taken from my account in November; or I can pay the full amount now £1,244.59 which will reduce my new monthly payment to £360 something a month.

I have taken my own readings which are almost 4000 units less their estimated readings, why aren't these bills checked against the same period last year the tariff charges may change but the useage will be roughly the same. What cooking planet are these people on.

Forgot to mention they estimate my electric useage to be £91.00 but my monthly payment is to increase to £90.00 per month. The electric estimate isn't far out to be honest just over 100 units over estimated. Its the gas that has been grossly over estimated. However the monthly payment for the gas works out at a third of the amount due, so my electric working on that basis would be £30.00 per month.

Really don't understand why I need to pay £90.00 per month when I only use £90.00 every six months.

Doing a rough calculation I estimate my bill will be in the region of £300 to £400 for the past six months, I can see me coming of the monthly tariff. I don't want a flaming 0% savings account with them, I want to pay for useage only.

I am not apologising for the lengthy post, cos I feel much better now.
    Edit/Delete Message

2. DirtyGertie

DirtyGertie PetForums VIP

Crikey :eek:.

Who's your utility company? Do they not read your meter at all? Do they not ask you to send your meter readings in and only rely on estimates?

I know they all work differently but I'm with British Gas, have an online tariff and pay by monthly direct debit. They set my monthly payment and ask me to send in my readings every quarter then my statements (online) show me how much that quarter's bill is, how much I've paid and how much in credit (or debit) I am. They've never asked me to make up an underpayment if I'm in debit but they do increase my monthly payments if they think it wont cover the upcoming months. They also decrease my payments if I'm a fair bit in credit. I've never had a problem with them. I know they don't work out cheapest for everyone and I know that I could change to a cheaper provider now (I belong to Money Saving Expert's Cheap Energy Club and they let you know when you can get it cheaper and who with) but I've always got on well with BG, understand their website so am happy to stay with them for now.

I also take readings monthly for my own information, keep a note of them and that way if there's any vast difference it would alert me to something being wrong such as gas leaking, meter fault, etc.

My son is with EDF and he has just had a demand for £500+ because they've not been advised of a shortfall nor were their DDs altered to cater for the amount they were using. But he's too trusting and doesn't keep an eye on things nor does he look at his online account. Me - I'm an old cynic and don't trust anyone to do anything right, I have to check myself :lol:.

#2 DirtyGertie, Sep 29, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  3. sskmick

sskmick PetForums VIP

I'm with npower, my payments are to cover a six month period. My previous bill was in March.

I will be sorting it out tomorrow, if I'd have know the bill came yesterday I would have sorted it out yesterday - hubby has to take that one on the chin, for moving it but not telling me or even opening it. :001_rolleyes:

Even if the bill was correct the monthly payments are wrong. I'd be paying over £2,400 over a six month period for a useage of half that amount. :eek:

My readings confirm the bill is wrong. I received a meter reading sheet on Friday, so that had been sent out too late as the bill must have been already been prepared.

I think they have rounded my bill up to £1,500 and worked backwards from that figure ie take off the £300 in credit leaves £1,200.00 add a few units to make it fit - bingo my new bill - cheeky buggers.

4. Rikalaily

Rikalaily PetForums Member

I knew as soon as I read your OP that you were with N Power. Switch asap, they rip everyone off.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice