Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Using the garden?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by catz4m8z, Apr 18, 2011.

1. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Im actually surprised on the dog walking thread how many peoples dogs actually use their gardens for play and exercise..:blink:
    Do I just have wierd dogs then who just use it for peeing, eating weeds, barking at cats and sometimes sunbathing???:confused:
    Even with 3 of them together they do all their running around indoors..

2. shells

shells PetForums VIP

buster with me was never alowed inside when living with his last owners. so being in the garden is natural for him although when he first come to me he was verry reluctant to go out i think he thoughed we were gonna lock him out love him. now he likes nothing more than to lay n sleep in the sun:D

3. Milliepoochie

Milliepoochie PetForums VIP

Ours wont really even toilet in the garden. It's purely for sunbathing and chilling, although its the only place we can let Makita off lead so it's getting used more and more.

In the evening for the last toilet break Makita uses the back garden and millie the front. (Dont want to get him excited by Millie walking through his room!)

We do have a decent sized lawn garden but it honestly isnt used to it's full potetial but our two do get alot of walks. :D

4. bobbyw

bobbyw PetForums Senior

Ours uses the garden for the loo if he needs it between walks, or for a crazy few circuits if he's feeling the need. To be honest though he only really likes staying out there if we are too. If it's sunny and we are in and out he will lie out and chill until he gets hot then he moves inside.

5. rona

rona Guest

None of my dogs in 40 years of dog ownership have really used the garden for play once past puppyhood, unless I'm out there playing too :)

6. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

If I'm in the garden then Bumble is but I never think of it as 'exercise' as such because he knows all the smells and such so stimulation wise it's not enough for him.

Em
    xx

7. kat&molly

kat&molly PetForums VIP

mine wont stay in the garden without me- even though I leave the doors open for them. They'd rather cause havoc indoors:rolleyes:

8. cinnamontoast

cinnamontoast Sois pas chiant, chéri.

The pups like to sniff at next door's GSD under the fence or jump the fence to visit (Bear was brought back yesterday, having leapt over and running into the very surprised neighbour's lounge-good job her GSD knows him:eek:) Its five feet high, think I'm gonna add two feet of trellis!

They use the garden for exercise and toileting-there is a fenced off lawn for running, fetch and a gravelled area for toileting.

The garden is not a substitute for exercise and they are generally supervised whilst in there. Brig would rather be wherever I am.

9. BenMac

BenMac PetForums Senior

I don't use the garden for exercise....except for Bailey, while he's not able to go out.

Otherwise it's for sunning themselves, munching daisies and chasing birds really....and late night pee :D

10. Jackie99

Jackie99 PetForums VIP

My dog won't toilet in the garden, can be annoying when he wants to go at 3am on a winters morning!!
    He doesn't stay out there hardly unless I am there with him sitting reading or playing ball etc
    He may if it is nice and sunny, sunbathe when I put an old pillow out.
    But I leave the door open anyway to give him the option of going back and forth.
    I don't blame him however there is no grass and he seems to like grass more than anything.

11. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

skye would stay in the garden all day if we let her. kody just likes to eat things in the garden, mostly grass and mud. but they do chase each other round in circles. i dont generally leave them unsupervised though as they can get a bit boisterous!

12. sunshine80

sunshine80 PetForums VIP

Sonny has got access to the garden when he wants out but does not do much exercise really. If Dad is out working in the garden then Sonny goes with him. He does his usual lap of the garden to check that the crows have not dropped any bread but would not really class it as exercise unless I have his agility jumps up.

13. sarybeagle

sarybeagle PetForums VIP

Bell only goes in the garden for sunbathing and when I'm feeding the rabbit/putting washing out on line. Our neighbours are vile so we never stay in the garden.

14. BenMac

BenMac PetForums Senior

ohhhh...that's rough. Nothing worse than having crappy neighbours :(

15. sarybeagle

sarybeagle PetForums VIP

Tell me about it, I've 3 houses all joined onto my garden :( the ones at back if their JRT starts yapping it's cos my dogs out, my rabbits winding him up :blink: and we get yelled at and sworn at. Next-door scream and fight and if bells out this makes her howl so I bring her in pronto :( I'd kill to just sit in my garden, have some flowers to look after etc *ah well when I win the lottery.........*

16. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Until recently we lived in a flat so having a garden is a complete joy. Now we have 2 dogs we are always playing & doing training. I'm even goiung to order an agility jump & tunnel for the dogs.

We play ball, hide & seek, find-it & I recently bought them a paddling pool which they love.

Even if I'm not out there with them they tear about chasing each other & barking at the phesant who dares to pop in occasionally.

17. BenMac

BenMac PetForums Senior

The rabbit of yours must need an ASBO :blink:
    Yeah...a wee Lotto win would do you nicely.

18. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

Nope mine dont do much in the garden either
    Willow eats most of her raw out there, Percy will chase the squirrels but thats about it

19. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

I use it quite a lot for training, and playing. Ollie is now able to be outside without barking for long periods of time so he gets to spend more time outside relaxing and chilling. I use it for loose lead training, and also agility training. Our garden is large and we are very lucky so we use it as much as we can. As Ollie can't go off lead, it's good that he can use such a large garden to get rid of energy which he wouldn't necessarily get on his road walks.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice