Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Using different flea treatments on cat? When is it safe?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by PJCroad&Chico, Jan 8, 2012.

1. PJCroad&Chico

PJCroad&Chico PetForums Member

I applied one brand to my cat but it doesn't seemed to have worked too well. I have another brand but I know you're not supposed to use two treatments at the same time - but is it safe to apply the other brand after a few days of applying the first brand?

2. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Which product did you use,most "over the counter "flea treatments are at best useless and at worst can be harmful.The only non prescription treatment that I would use would be Advantage.Best to contact your vet and ask their advice and use what they suggest,but I would be wary of using another treatment so soon .HTH.

3. Lucyh

Lucyh PetForums Member

Ask your vet- mine was ok with giving mine Advocate when I told him I'd used Frontline about 8 days previously and it hadn't worked. But I expect it depends on the products.

4. PJCroad&Chico

PJCroad&Chico PetForums Member

I used a Johnson's one and the one that I've not used yet is one I got from Poundland (Petstar maybe). He's not scratching loads though so maybe he just had an itch.

5. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Please be very careful with the treatments you use .The Johnsons one is most likely as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike and the one from poundland, God knows, but I wouldnt put it anywhere near my cat.You get what you pay for ,lets just hope your cat doesnt :eek:.

6. sskmick

sskmick PetForums VIP

I too have tried over the counter products and found it to be a waste of money. At best they kill the flea but not the eggs so the whole cycle starts day after day.

I used a household spray for furniture and soft furnishings including the pet beds. I used Frontline Combi in the end from the vet.

I still use Frontline Combi for my lot and touchwood I haven't had an outbrake since.

Before switching to another product I would wait 4 weeks or speak to the vet.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice