Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Using a slip lead

Discussion in 'Gundogs & Gundog Training' started by Emmastace, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Emmastace

Emmastace PetForums VIP

Hi
    Does anyone know of a link to a site that can show me how to use a slip lead correctly?

2. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

I don't know of a link, but what is it you want to know specifically? The people I know that work their dogs don't generally start on lead training as early as pet owners, but instead, focus on the recall and getting the pups to work with them, and that keeps them focussed. The heelwork is developed naturally as the pups are encouraged to trot along at heel, and sit nicely when the handler stops. By the time the lead is introduced, they're already doing loose heelwork, and it's just reinforced with the lead, an occasional check (which shouldn't be harsh) is used to keep the dog from getting too far ahead, or pulling off to the side etc.

3. Emmastace

Emmastace PetForums VIP

Thank you. I am having to go about this a bit 'a**e about face' and all the things I do with Mia seem to fight against each other but they are improving. As she arrived with us as a fully grown animal and her only training was self-taught pulling against a chain it meant starting from scratch with a really strong dog. Her recall is good on a long line but not tested off that. I now have her 85% not pulling on a flat collar and loose lead, 95% not pulling on a harness and long line (as long as I avoid pheasant and waterfowl) but heel work is a longed for dream. I was hoping to master heelwork using the slip lead. I can't do off lead totally as there isn't anywhere secure enough except indoors. I do practice indoors off lead but it only works by constant feeding which she gets bored with very quickly as she isn't food orientated unless she has scavenged it, she doesn't seem to know what I want from her which is my fault I know. Still, onwards and upwards.

4. Irish Setter Gal

Irish Setter Gal PetForums Senior

Depends what you mean by 'use' a slip lead.

A slip lead should is used to enable a quick release of the dog and generally they are taught to walk loose lead close to heel before hand. They can, however, be used as tools for correction whilst teaching loose lead walking to heel, but you would be best to see it in action up close and personal first. I have been using it recently as a correctional tool with my older dog, but with my pup am sticking to a collar and lead for the moment until he can loose lead walk first. I do however use the same technique on both - Lez Graham style

Or do you mean how to put it on correctly, which again depends if you are training to walk to heel on a loose lead and will be correcting with it, or just using it as a lead.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice