Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Using a long line?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by lotlot, Jan 16, 2012.

1. lotlot

lotlot PetForums VIP

I have a 10m long line that I got a few weeks ago to start working on Finlay's recall. But with his health issues, his training has gone out of the window.

But I'm starting again this week and want to get his recall 100% perfect. It's not bad by any means, just needs improving!

But I always feel so lost using a long line, and me and Finlay spend the majority of the walk getting tangled up haha.

Has anyone got any tips for using a long line more effectively?

Thank you

2. Wyrd

Wyrd PetForums VIP

I always got tangled up with the longline.

I use a roughly 6ft line on a walking belt and don't get it tangled at all and fine I have much closer 'control' with him. He can say hello to other dogs on the line if I let him, but I can also keep his attention more on me.

3. Kivasmum

Kivasmum PetForums VIP

I found not being so worried about it being the right length helped, in other words just let it trail. And if they bolt stop it with your foot by standing on it, not your hand! Because trust me, that hurts! :eek:

No other tips I'm afraid, I hate the things ha ha always end up with a bruise or a cut every time I use one :eek:

4. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

I walked Zipper on his ordinary lead until I got to an area I would normally want to let him off - then I would attach the long line.
    I let it trail on the floor as well - just tied knots every now and then so when I trod on it it didn't just slip away from under my foot.
    If I recalled him and he didn't come I could gently encourage him by gathering in the lead.
    I always attached it to a harness as well so it didn't jerk his neck.
    I would let Zipper off if he was palying with other dogs though to prevent any tangles.

5. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

I used one for years with Rupert and rarely got tangled. I tended to coil it up whenever he was close and let it out again when he moved away and I found that helped. I didn't dare let it trail as Rupe would have had me off my feet if I'd tried standing on it to stop him.

6. Lil Doglets

Lil Doglets PetForums VIP

I've been using one most days with Charlie for over a year now and can't say i've ever had any problems with it, it's a 10m one like yours and i just hold the end in one hand and let the rest drag on the floor , if it gets under her leg she usually manages to sort it out herself :)
    There was only one time it ever got badly tangled and thats when she went into some bushes but came out a different way to where she went in so i had to clamber all in the bush trying to untangle it :rolleyes:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice