Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Useful/Useless facts about dogs!!!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Tanji, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Tanji

Tanji PetForums Member

Thanks to Burgess site for this info only knew 2 of them myself before reading.....

1. To allow for more flexibility whilst running, a dog’s shoulder blades are unattached from the rest of the skeleton.

2. Pekingese and Japanese Chins were considered incredibly important in the ancient Far East. They even had their own servants and were presented as gifts to kings and emperors. Pekingese were worshipped in Chinese temples for centuries.

3. It said that the most dogs ever owned by one person were 5,000 Mastiffs. These dogs were owned by Kublai Khan.

4. It can take around 18 muscles to move a dog’s ear.

5. The oldest dog that there is a record of was an Australian cattle dog named Bluey. He lived up to the age of 29 years and 5 months. That is around 160 in human years.

6. Dogs have wet noses to collect more tiny droplets of smelling chemicals in the air.

7. It’s thought that Dogs can understand around 150 – 200 words, including hand signals. This would make them as smart as a two or three year old toddler!

8. It’s reported that the Beagle and the Collie are the noisiest dogs while the Akbash Dog and the Basenji are the quietest.

9. The most popular male dog names are Max and Jake. The most popular female dog names are Maggie and Molly

10. The first ever dogs were self-domesticated wolves, which at least 12,000 years ago became attracted to the first sites of permanent human habitation.

11. Dalmatians are completely white at birth.

12. A puppy is born blind, deaf and toothless.

13. The smallest dog that there’s a record of was a Yorkshire Terrier. It was 2.5 inches tall and 3.5 inches long from its nose to the tip of its tail, and weighed about 4 ounces.

14. Dog nose prints are as unique as a human finger print and can be used to identify them.

2. hushtalk

hushtalk PetForums Senior

5000?? I would love to see him walking those daily! and his poobags lol

3. sezeelson

sezeelson PetForums VIP

Ooo I knew quite a few of them! Now I feel clever ^^

5000 mastiffs :eek: how would you ever remember all their names!! I wouldn't even want to think about the poop :/ although, if they where fed natural/raw then it wouldn't of been to bad!

4. Argent

Argent PetForums VIP

Whoever thinks Basenjis are quiet has never heard them yodelling! XD I'd have thought Rotties would be one of the quietest :p

5. Meezey

Meezey Slave to the Black & Tans and the Trundle Bugs.

I don't know while Rotties rarely bark, they are a VERY vocal breed :D

I guess they mean for barking and Basenjis don't?

6. moonviolet

moonviolet PetForums VIP

According to guiness word records the loudest bark belongs to a white GSD called Daz who's bark was measured at 108dB in Finsbury Park 15th June 2009

Loudest bark by a dog

7. WeedySeaDragon

WeedySeaDragon PetForums VIP

The World Flying Disc Federation record for the furthest catch of a frisbee by a dog is currently held by Rob McLeod and his whippet Davy with a distance of 122.53 metres :biggrin:

[youtube_browser]aCeBkn7hjbM[/youtube_browser]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice