Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

used items?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Mirx3, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Mirx3

Mirx3 PetForums VIP

have you ever bought used items for your cats?

I found a pet carrier and litter tray on gumtree for £15, I need a bigger litter tra as neither can seem to put their business in the tray anymore... must be getting too big. plus this one has the detachable lip, so I can finally put liners in it without them getting dragged in the tray.

litter tray is approx 44cm x 30cm

carrier is 50cm x 35cm and 35cm high

I know I should probably wash them up before putting my cats in them, but what do I wash it in? that won't irritate the boys?

2. moggiemum

moggiemum PetForums VIP

i would use milton sterlizer or bleach and rinse really really well , you can get it from chemists

3. Mirx3

Mirx3 PetForums VIP

Thanks! :) just want them to be clean ans safe for them

4. dougal22

dougal22 Banned

I've never bought used things for my cats and wouldn't consider buying a used litter tray as the cats would be able to smell that another cat had used it.

You can use products such as Simple Solutions to neutralise any odours, but they don't totally eliminate the smell for cats as their sense of smell is far, far more sensitive than ours.

You can clean the cat carrier with regular cleaner. I use Method cleaning products and cleaned my cat carriers with that earlier in the week as they were buried in the garage under a pile of dust.

I hope your cats don't reject their 'new' litter tray!

5. Mirx3

Mirx3 PetForums VIP

I did not actually think about the whole litter tray smells.... hmm.

really only decided to get this because of the carrier. but will try the tray out and see.

#5 Mirx3, Sep 5, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  6. maisiecat

maisiecat PetForums VIP

Most of the cat beds I have bought have been 'pre-owned' and have had varying signs of use, from looking unused to really a bit shabby, I have washed them and de-furred where necessary and they have mostly been accepted by Her Highness, and ignored by Himself.

I bought a used litter tray, but it had been used to incubate eggs, it isn't something I would normally buy as a used item but in your current situation, then I probably would if I needed one. I give mine away to rescues when I get too many and they get used by multiple cats in those places so no reason why a second hand one wouldn't work. If anything it would make the cat use it to remove any trace of the previous user, surely?

Carriers, have always bought new as I wanted a specific one and there weren't any around that were for sale other than new. I do have to clean them out after a vet trip and use Simple Solution, followed by a wash in plain water.

If you want to try to remove smells I would suggest white vinegar in water and leave it to air for a while outdoors until you can't smell anything - much cheaper than buying special stuff and less likely to cause allergies.

7. Mirx3

Mirx3 PetForums VIP

Oh thank you so much, I didn't even think about vinegar!

I just thought it was a good deal and if they use it then I got a bargain :D plus the carrier is needed because as soon as it is bought and washed I make an appointment for my boys to be neutered.

8. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

I certainly would not turn my nose up at used items....and am sure that the litter tray will be fine once it has had a good old clean. Chances are that someone bought it and it never got used.
    I bought a huge, heavy wicker cat carrier at a charity shop for £1 about 18 years ago and I still use it sometimes these days...luckily none of mine have ever been prone to messing whilst in transport though. I upgraded that to a plastic one that I requested on Freecycle which lasted for several years before the clips broke and only recently actually paid for a new one so that I have a spare for fostering etc.
    Joy84 bought a dog bed at a car boot sale a few months ago and I had it in my spare room waiting to go to the Rescue centre. I threw it down the stairs one day so i would put it in the car...only for Woody to claim it for his own. Guess that is staying put then!

9. Temperance

Temperance PetForums Member

I got a lot of bits from freeecycle, they were in new condition and were a godsend.

10. Mirx3

Mirx3 PetForums VIP

Thaks! I was a little worried about it.

11. CoCoTrio

CoCoTrio PetForums VIP

I found a nice big cat carrier in a charity shop, and his feeding bowls are from charity too.

Used stuff is the best! :)

12. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

A used litter tray :eek: At the very least you need to scrub it out with HOT water and plenty of detergent followed by a soak in bleach solution then leave it to dry off naturally.

13. spid

spid PetForums VIP

ignore me . . . .

14. Mirx3

Mirx3 PetForums VIP

Oh had no idea! is fairy liquid ok?

15. spid

spid PetForums VIP

If it goes cloudy in water it's toxic to cats.

16. Mirx3

Mirx3 PetForums VIP

cloudy? sorry, I just want to make sure I know what you mean.

17. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

Fine. What you need to understand is that you can't clean and disinfect in one go because you can't disinfect organic material. You need to clean really well with detergent and then disinfect. A weak bleach solution is as effective as any fancy disinfectant. What matters is contact time. Ten minutes will kill all known nasties so don't rinse or dry.

Mirx3 likes this.
  18. Mirx3

Mirx3 PetForums VIP

I will tell OH, I cannot touch bleach as I am allergic to it. So he will be doing the cleaning.

19. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

You can use other disinfectants if you want. They're just no better than dilute bleach and the contact time for them to be effective is just the same. The longer you can leave something wet with disinfectant the more effective it will be.

20. Mirx3

Mirx3 PetForums VIP

I was thinking about leaving it over night in the sink then putting it out back to dry in the sun. Or is that too long?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice