Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Urine Infection?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Grecs80, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Grecs80

Grecs80 PetForums Newbie

I have a six year old Jack Russell Terrier, male, not fixed. All shots up to date minus this years shots. About seven months ago I noticed that Max (his name) started having accidents in the house. Urine wise. He is fully house trained and never had issues like that before. I also noticed that when he'd pee outside, that a little bit of blood was coming out at the end. He also urinates once and then lifts his leg but nothing comes out. He ends up standing there with his leg up for awhile. He doesn't appear to be in pain. I have to take him out every couple of hours or else he'll have an accident. Each time I take him out he urinates for about 10 seconds, and then stops but he keeps his leg up like he's still urinating and sometimes a bit of blood comes out.

I took him to the vet and brought in a urine sample. The vet said he noticed white blood cells in his urine and he prescribed some antibiotics. They didn't help, sadly. I lost my job and money has been extremely tight. I haven't been able to afford vet bills (Ontario, Canada) as they're extremely expensive here. I got into contact with an animal support group who had me give Max some 'silver water' for awhile and some Clavamox (only two tablets though as it wasn't a prescription and it's not an over the counter drug). Still no result.

Basically I'm at the point now where I need to get him treated. I'm worried about what it could be and and I feel extremely bad that I've left it untreated for so long.

I'm looking for any tips or information that could help me. What could it be? What are the risks and can it be something serious? As I said, he doesn't seem to be in pain, he's still his playful self and everything else is normal.

I guess I should add that I also have a three year old female Jack Russell as well, but she's fixed. He doesn't try to mate with her, at least not that I'm aware of. She's healthy and doesn't have the same issue.

This all seems to have started in March, after I took my dogs on a long trail hike. I noticed Max was urinating quite a bit that day, because he likes to mark on his walks. I was worried when he was drinking from the lake, because he was drinking from some puddles that had been sitting after the tide washed out. I was worried about bacteria, but that could just be me trying to connect unrelated pieces of this puzzle. I explained that to the vet and he didn't seem to concerned by it, but I just don't want to leave any details out.

I appreciate any info or advice.

Thanks!

2. rona

rona Still missing my boys

He may have just needed an extended period of antibiotics when you originally took him.

Drinking dirty water is quite normal for dogs, so unless there were any chemicals etc, it shouldn't have caused the issue.

Many thousands of dogs get UTIs and recover with just the smallest of veterinary intervention.
    However, by leaving it, he could now have kidney damage which is a much more serious condition :(

3. Werehorse

Werehorse PetForums VIP

You should have taken him straight back to the vets when the a/bs didn't work. :( Leaving a UTI untreated for so long can, as Rona says, lead to problems deeper inside the dog, bladder and kidney damage.

He needs veterinary attention NOW and you'll need to find the money somehow.

4. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

You can get persistent urinary tract infections theat need longer courses and/or specific antibiotics to clear it completely, so if they have never done that may be the problem, you can get blood in the urine with that and loss of control with UTIs and peeing more in frequency and quantity, UTIs that are left though can travel and also cause things like kidney infection as well, so he really does need to be seen.

At 5 years old and an uneutered male he is also at the prime age for prostrate problems. The prostrate is at the neck of the bladder it can become enlarged and inflammed, as it enlarges it can press on the urethra which can cause straining on urination and lack of flow and blood in the urine and dripping blood. There are 3 causes Benign hyper plasia which is hormone dependant and usually neutering reduces the size of the prostrate and it returns to normal. Sometimes with this it can cause signs of constipation aswell.

You can also get bacterial infection of the prostrate as that causes it to be enlarged and inflammed. These two are not uncommon and he is the right sort of age and uneutered. There is another sinister reason as well, but there is a good chance that if it is prostrate it would be one of the first too.

There can be another condition though that can also cause urinary tract infection, blood in the urine frequency in the urination and failed attempts to urinate and thats bladder stones and crystals forming in the urine.

Really he does need checking out because the longer its left untreated be it even a UTI then the likelyhood of increased problems is going to happen.

5. Grecs80

Grecs80 PetForums Newbie

Thank you all for the in depth information. It's very helpful. I ended up selling somethings and have made around $250 so that will at least be enough to get him in and looked at so I will be doing that right away.

6. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Let us know how it goes

7. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Hope he is OK and its something thats easily fixed. Please let us know how he is doing.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice