Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Urinary Tract disease - dry to wet food??

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Linda55, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Linda55

Linda55 PetForums Newbie

Can anyone help with a male 8 year old cat experiencing urinary problems. Louis eats only dry food despite desperate attempts to wean him onto wet food. Vet suggests this is the way forward, but he won't even try it. No tuna, fish or fresh chicken either!

Any advice most welcome as this problem occurring more regularly. His sister won't eat the wet food either, but she is not suffering at all.

Any help much appreciated for my little boy!! :)

2. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

Hi Linda and welcome,

Your vet is right! Dry food does contribute vastly to the problem and it's essential he moves over to the wet though I appreciate this is easier said than done! I've no doubt though with a bit of trial and error you'll manage to do it so I wouldn't give up just yet! These days there are sooo many different wet foods to choose from.

Which food have you tried so far? Hopefully at this point, it's just a case of him disliking a particular flavour or brand. In the meantime, you could try some of the current dry crunched up on top of the wet and see if it entices him!

#2 Ianthi, Apr 17, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  3. Linda55

Linda55 PetForums Newbie

Ian

Thanks for your prompt response. I have tried most well known brands on the market, meat in jelly and in gravy. I also got special urinary (dry) food from the vet, but he wouldn't touch that either. He used to take sardines now and again, but he won't touch them either now.

Will try your suggestion of topping off the wet food with a few crunch biscuits and see if he bites.

Thanks again - I won't give up. He's lying sleeping, quite happy .....

Cheers Linda
    :)

4. Tobacat

Tobacat PetForums Senior

My cat gets urinary problems and my vet also advised a 100% wet diet, to which water can be added. While trying to swap him over, it might be worth putting down some wet with a little of his usual dry on top as it migth attract him to the wet underneath. No doubt you are trying this, but obviously try a few different wet foods. While he is on dry, it might be worth putting a teaspoon or two of water on top for extra moisture - this won't be adequate but is better than nothing..

What sort of urinary problems is your cat getting, infection, cystitis or problems caused by crystals?

5. Linda55

Linda55 PetForums Newbie

Thanks for getting in touch. He has been suffering with crystal formation. He was unwell on New Year's day with crystals and blood in his urine. This cleared up with antibiotics and anti-inflamatory drugs but came back again in March. There was no blood in his urine or crystals this time. We are due back at the vet for a check up in May, but he seems to be moping about a bit today and yesterday, more than usual. Don't usually hear a sound from him (unless he's snoring) but he gave a wee cry this morning!!

We have been trying since March to change the diet but so far unsuccessfully. Will keep trying and take your advice about adding some water to the dried food. Will try some other wet food too.

Cheers, Linda

6. gloworm*mushroom

gloworm*mushroom PetForums VIP

Have you tried online to see if you can find a wider range of flavours? I am lucky in that I have bottomless pits for cats, but they currently have reindeer, elk and kangaroo in the cupboard! I cant say mine have ever turned anything down! :D Zooplus is really good for a good range and do a lot of 'trial packs' so you could try a few ranges and flavours instead of wasting your money on tonnes of food they wont eat!

Have you tried Grau? Grau is a good quality wet food, and I have some tuna flavour going spare as fish gives my cats really bad runs (I think its the fish they are fine on every other flavour of grau and have the same problem with purely fish)

*edit* Forgot to add that Pets at Home do some frozen raw minces in their freezer section. Mine go absolutely WILD for the turkey. I mean literally insane. This is not a complete food so obviously this cant be fed in isolation, but it may help tempt them into wet food. They are about 75p so its not a big monetary loss if it doesnt work either :)

#6 gloworm*mushroom, Apr 17, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  7. Not an expert of cat food by a long chalk! But my elderlycat selmon gts any -my other cat smoky (RIP) was always fed on wet. Same as my dogs really - never been a wet fan!

But there are plenty on PF that knowthere stuff when it comes to feeding! Hobbs just to mention one!
    DT

8. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

As the others and your vet have said, wet is THE way to go for a cat with a history of urinary issues. Although perhaps a bit OTT but well worth a read, check out this site for help with transitioning your cat from his beloved kibble to wet food: Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health.

Tobacat mentioned putting some of his kibble on the wet food. I would go one step further and make it less easy for him to pick out the kibble and leaving the underneath untouched - take a rolling pin to some kibble in a small plastic back to smash to smithereens, and then coat the wet food with it. Might just work.

Also, once he is on wet food, you can also add a little additional water to his food to make sure that his bladder is nicely flushed out.

Hope that helps

9. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

Since you mention the crystals and of course depending on the type-struvite or calcium oxalate-he should ideally be on a prescription wet food designed to prevent the formation of them in the first place by altering the urine PH. Drinking more will help as well in that crystals tend to form in concentrated urine.

Sometimes crystals can point to a bladder stone ( happened one of mine ) and I would urge you to have an X-Ray to rule this out first. Otherwise he could be subject to repeated problems and more worrying a blockage. If it's a calcium oxalate stone, he would need surgery to remove it. I would discuss this with the vet today.

10. Linda55

Linda55 PetForums Newbie

:(Thanks all for your very welcome advice. Have bought some new food, including the Pets at home frozen turkey and will take the advice about smashing the kibble onto the wet food. Have looked at the Zooplus website to get some ideas about interesting food.

In the meantime, I took him to the vet again today - he's been crying all day. His bladder is full to the size of an orange and he's to be kept in overnight and a catheter inserted! We've to call back tomorrow at 10.30am.

Hopefully, he will be starved at the vets which will give us a chance to experiment with new food as he should be hungry when he comes home. Keep you posted!! :( PS Hobbs your picture looks just like Louis - gorgeous!

Meant to say - should get the results about any crystal formation from the vet tomorrow.

11. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

Sorry to hear this!

I would definitely enquire about the X-ray if the vets find calcium oxalate crystals especially. My own cat kept blocking and after I insisted on one a stone was revealed. Blockages can be so potentially life threatening in male cats that all avenues need to be explored in order to prevent them!

12. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Well thank you! That is the third compliment Hobbs had today and it is most certainly now going to his head :D

I am so very sorry to hear about the recent bladder problems. If it turns out to be struvite crystals causing/aggravating it then I, alongside the vet no doubt, would strongly suggest that you feed a special urinary diet in the future (ideally wet but the dry special formulation works too) to help prevent any crystal build up in the future.

If they don't show any immediate signs of crystals then I would go down the route suggested by Ianthi - an x-ray to check for any stones.

Oxalate and struvite crystals don't occur together very often at all because they need slightly different urine ph environments to form.

I truly hope your little man is ok! Please keep us updated

PS: If you find that he likes the raw food, then that might be another food option that might help control his cystitis and/or crystals. But let's talk about that when you have had the results back and when he has tasted the food.

13. Linda55

Linda55 PetForums Newbie

Hi Guys - vet phoned tonight. Louis' doing okay, sleepy after the anaesthetic. Blood test shows clear kidneys, but a little blood and protein in the urine. Keeping him until at least tomorrow, maybe Wednesday. When I call tomorrow, I will mention the x-ray. Vet has suggested we must get the diet under control - he's quite a big boy, so he's not to be starved, as it could make him poorly.

Fingers crossed it can be sorted and he's back home soon with his sister Coco, who's moping about without him.

Thanks again for all your help and concerns. Will keep you posted.

14. Tobacat

Tobacat PetForums Senior

Glad to hear Louis is doing okay. As you are aware, the best way to help him at home is changing his diet so preservere with this. As mentioned by Ianthi you can get special prescription wet food (not cheap though) which can help with preventing the formation of different types of crystals. Have a word with your vet, they may have a few pouches in store for you to try.

Do you know what sort of crystals he is forming by the way?

15. Linda55

Linda55 PetForums Newbie

Latest update is that Louis is still at the Vets. He will be there overnight again tonight. Catheter still in and he's to get an x-ray tomorrow. As there are still crystals, the vet is now checking to ensure there are no stones. I don't know what type of crystals they are.

We've to call again tomorrow - not sure if he will be released then or not. Struggling with the food for our other cat, Coco. Although she has no problems, she will have to get used to wet food also.

Hope he gets home tomorrow, then the work will begin to re-educate his diet. :confused:

16. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

Sorry to hear he's still there but with the presence of crystals there is a further risk of blockage. Glad to hear about the X-ray-sounds like calcium oxalate crystals if they've agreed to go ahead with this.

Hope he's home soon!

17. Linda55

Linda55 PetForums Newbie

Cheers - house a bit empty without him and his sister kept me awake last night looking for lots of cuddles!!

Hope tomorrow has better news. :)

18. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

Oh poor paws :( Our Scutter went through the same thing about 3 times a few years back it's awful :( He has been great on his Cystaid pills & S/O food.

Everything crossed here for your Louis xxx

#18 Dally Banjo, Apr 19, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2011
  19. Linda55

Linda55 PetForums Newbie

An update on Louis: He' still at the vets for tonight again. He has had an x-ray which shows some "sludge" in his bladder. The catheter has been removed and hopefully he will pass the sludge overnight. Has eaten a very small amount of wet food but apparently he's not happy about it. He'll have to get used to it. Disappointed he will not be home tonight but fingers crossed it will be tomorrow.:(

20. Tobacat

Tobacat PetForums Senior

Fingers crossed he will be home today! My girl was kept in for just one night while they assessed her (she had reoccuring cystitis so different from crystals), and that was hard enough. However, it did give me an answer and how best to proceed with treatment. When your vet has confirmed what type of crystals Louis has, you may be able to find some different brands online (maybe try Zooplus first) which are suitable.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice