Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

urinary infections

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by 2dogs, Aug 22, 2013.

1. 2dogs

2dogs PetForums Junior

I have just rehomed an elderly greyhound bitch (11) and think she may have a urinary infection, shes been fed royal canin club pro dry food, for the last 6 weeks, and i have been feeding her that since getting her at the weekend, however, on looking at the protein level Im wondering is it too high at 25%?

2. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

If she is peeing a lot in frequency and quantity, maybe loosing control and having accidents, then its likely a UTI. Usually if that's all it is then a course of antibiotic soon sorts it out. If you can get a pee sample to take with you to test so much the better.

If she is a spayed bitch especially and its just patches of pee where she lays or when shes asleep the older spayed females can get urinary spincter incompetence where the sphincter isn't tight enough to prevent leakage especially when they have a full bladder. There is medications you can get to stop it they do have to stay on them for life usually though. Although there is a herbal one too, called leaks no more and that seems to get good results.

If she is drinking tons especially though, and peeing a lot too, I would deffinately get her checked out.

3. 2dogs

2dogs PetForums Junior

shes got an appt for fri night, peeing more frequently, and the one she did indoors was rancid...no incontinence thankfully. Just wondered why in the 5 days I have had her shes developed this...previously i had an elderly bitch who suffered the same, vet was suggesting a prescription diet with low protein so now thinking her food is too high in protein..

4. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

You could certainly think about changing her to another food, doing a gradual change over. Hopefully it is just a UTI and a course of antibiotics will sort it.
    Was she peeing frequently from the start? A UTI in all honesty they can pick up anytime. She may have been starting with it when you got her. Ive had it in the past with UTIs one minute they are OK and the next peeing for England, it just happens sometimes.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice