UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Duke does suffer with urinary problems. I was thinking of getting him some food which should help this. Currently he is fed on James Wellbeloved, Bozita smila.

If I were to feed him one meal of special food a day would this be likely to help him? I cannot afford to feed it constantly as sometimes he will eat 300-400g a day.

The two I am looking at on Zooplus are kattovit and integra protect.

Has anyone tried these or got any ideas about other food?
Thanks

·
Registered
74 Posts
I give my cat the Royal Canin Urinary s/o. This is what the vet recommended after he had urinary problems. Originally he was having just that but I find now that if I give him a packet a day and other food he is fine. I could probably stop it altogether but I'm not brave enough to risk it !

Not tried any other urinary food.

G

·
Cuddles has had a uti twice this year, she is now fed wet food all the time. The advice from my vet was to just feed wet food no dry food. You can buy cystease tablets online which also helps.

·
Registered
10,685 Posts
Hi

Duke does suffer with urinary problems. I was thinking of getting him some food which should help this. Currently he is fed on James Wellbeloved, Bozita smila.

If I were to feed him one meal of special food a day would this be likely to help him? I cannot afford to feed it constantly as sometimes he will eat 300-400g a day.

The two I am looking at on Zooplus are kattovit and integra protect.

Has anyone tried these or got any ideas about other food?
Thanks
It really depends on what causes his urinary problems in the first place. I.e. does he form crystals (in which case it MIGHT make sense to go down the special urinary food route - but make sure it is wet), does he get it when he is stressed (in which case you might be better off feeding a good quality wet diet - no dry - and to keep the stress triggers to a minimum), is it bacterial (in which case meds would be better followed by a good quality wet diet). Or was it actually never quite tested (i.e. urine analysis)?

Whatever you do, it would make sense to just feed wet food, no dry. And you might want to talk to your vet about supplements that help rebuild the bladder lining (such as Cystaid).

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all of your help.

Sadly when we collected his results we didn't see my preferred vet and despite paying for tests all I was told was that his urine was very concentrated. He now has a fountain and when he had to go to the vets last week for sickness and diarrhoea our preferred vet said that he wasn't dehydrated.

So I really don't know why he gets them. His symptoms are always weeing in my bed, crying when going to the toilet, excessive licking of the area and general whining.

He is fed on a 95% wet diet with one or two very small handfuls of dry weekly. Wet food is Bozita, JW, animonda, smilia, hilife, feline fayre. Dry is RC Persian kitten.

He does like to bite hands and feet so I do wonder if he is stressed I have just ordered him a Feliway.

He has his litter changed every couple of days and he always has a good brand - Sanicat, Tigeria etc. He has two trays.

He did have antibiotics the first time but not since as I usually make sure to give him lots of fluids etc at home.

There are no other pets.

He does suffer with constipation every couple of weeks, don't know if that could be connected?

·
Registered
9,911 Posts
I would discuss trying a daily dose of Cystaid for him as it repairs the gag layer of the bladder or something, I have my stress ball cat on it as she suffered from stress cysitis and fingers crossed since she has been on them daily we haven't had a reoccurrence, she is fed on a mainly wet diet with a tablespoon of extra water added to help keep her flushed through and hydrated, Maudey also get a Zylkene capsule every other day to help take the edge of her stress levels. If you are unsure of what the last Vet told you you could always phone and leave a message for the Vet you like to call you back to discuss the results and further treatments as any good vet would be happy to do that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.