UK Pet Forums Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
need help urgently

jasmine kittens are doing well and eating ect.

how ever now have a problem with missy. he is not feeding the kittens. have taken jas and her kittens out tried shutting missy in the create ect and she just moves away and hisses ect. kittens are cry all the time now. hve tried the bottle but there not taking it. is there anything i can do? jas is booked in for a spay tomoz so will ask vet as well.

any advice?

·
Registered
14,011 Posts
ok, you are going to have to feed these babies.
if they are not sucking the bottle try using a syringe or dropper, i cant recall how old they are, if you remind me we can help you more.:)

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
born 2nd of this month so 3 weeks today x

·
Registered
14,011 Posts
thats good, i was begining to think newborns.
ok so syringe krm for now, i would do every 3 hours ensuring each kitten gets 32cc over the day. make sure its warm and dont feed cold kittens so they have to be warm aswell.
keep trying with mum, she maybe coming into season but i hope not if shes being neutered.............why is she being neutered is there a medical reason....if not and its just to stop her getting pregnant again i would delya the operation until the kittens are weaned.
hope all goes well, keep trying with the bottle aswell as sometimes they just need reminding to suckle bt we dont want them getting dehydrated so keep a watch out for this. x:)

·
Registered
809 Posts
How long has she been like this with the kittens?

Like catcoonz says try to delay the op she wont feel like feeding them even more so after having the op.

Our girl left her kittens overnight when they were 3 weeks :( - she wasn't herself but was back to normal and feeding them again by 5am.

xx

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah sorry two litters.

jasmine being done as she is preg again and was attcking the kittens (badly hurt one) but her kittens are 5 weeks so its not as bad.

missy has been like this for around 3 days. she wont be spayed untill kittens are ready to be rehomed.

they are warm and will keep trying.

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
I have had cats abandon their kittens at three weeks several times. No idea why it is always three weeks. I suppose it would be more accurate to say that they won't be penned with the kittens rather than a complete abandonment. I'm afraid whenever I have had a total abandonment the kittens have not survivied for long no matter what I have done - not a case of not being able to raise them, because with a sick Mum I have managed fine, but it seems to be a case of Mum knowing something is wrong and not wanting to waste her efforts any more on non-viable kittens. I hope I am wrong though.

Liz

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have had cats abandon their kittens at three weeks several times. No idea why it is always three weeks. I suppose it would be more accurate to say that they won't be penned with the kittens rather than a complete abandonment. I'm afraid whenever I have had a total abandonment the kittens have not survivied for long no matter what I have done - not a case of not being able to raise them, because with a sick Mum I have managed fine, but it seems to be a case of Mum knowing something is wrong and not wanting to waste her efforts any more on non-viable kittens. I hope I am wrong though.

Liz
god i hope thats not the case :(

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
got them wrapped up with a hotwater bottle but still feel slightly cold :(

·
Registered
14,011 Posts
sorry to say cold kittens are not good.
try your best to keep them warm but dont overheat as you will dehydrate them quicker.
sorry i misunderstood which cat had been neutered.
all you can really do is make sure they are warm and syringe feed, put back with mum to see what happens.
i would be wanting a vet check sooner rather than later with this as 3 week old kittens go down hill very quickly.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
got them booked in for tomoz when i take jasmine in to be spayed.
managed to get one of them to eat a few drops. took them back to mom and she hissed them went and sat on the chair.

looks like its gonna be a long night for me :(

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Having hand raised scores of rescue kittens, I can tell you that they take much quicker to home made recipes than the powdered stuff. There is a good recipe with goats milk, butter, and egg yolk on the internet. An even easier one is carnation milk with boiled water. I have always found that the sweeter tasting the milk, the more they are likely to take it.

ETA Please dont wait til morning to try a home made recipe, as its a long time for kittens to go without feeding. Some supermarkets are open all night.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
so back form the vets. jasmine is now spayed and is sat in the old dog cage glaring at me :)

missy has been looked over and is healthy. kittens made it through the night and have also been looked over. vet gave them a small shot of sumat (cant remember the name) and they seem to be doing ok haveing small amounts out the bottle missy still doesnt want to know but isnt hissing at them so will keep trying. they seem a bit more lively today so fingers crossed.

·
Registered
14,011 Posts
if the vet gave a small syringe its likely to be an antibiotic, if it was a large syringe would have been fluids.
glad alls ok, keep them warm and just keep feeding, they will soon pick up.:)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.