Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Urgent vet care

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Silverpaw, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Silverpaw

Silverpaw PetForums Member

Yesterday started with Maci being a bit tired.Not surprising,he'd been to hydrotherapy the day before and been generally fairly busy.He was eating and toileting ok but became increasingly lethargic into the evening.He'd gone from being tired to not being himself,the sort of thing you notice when you know you're dog.So,we had a visit to the out of hours vet.The vet was brilliant,gave him a very thorough examination.Maci had a fever and the vet found a mass in what I think you would describe as his groin.He had four injections and came away with two lots of tables to start tonight.Couldn't give him non steroidal anti inflammatory's because Maci is allergic to them.He's booked in to see vet in the morning with a view to seeing if it looks like an infection or something more sinister.Maci's looking brighter this morning,the light has come back in his beautiful eyes.Don't know what tomorrow will bring but I dread to think what might have happened if we'd waited to see how he was this morning.I think the emergency vet care was worth any cost,to me that service is priceless.

lullabydream, lorilu and JoanneF like this.
  2. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Liked for the vet comment, not for Maci being poorly. I hope it turns out to be something simple.

3. Silverpaw

Thanks,JoanneF.He's looking more like himself at the moment.I can't believe where the mass came from,I'd have thought I'd have seen it/felt it when I groomed him etc.He was his usual bright self on Friday,no sign of anything wrong.Can't help going through the various scenarios of how it might play out.My beautiful precious boy.

4. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Well done getting him to the vet. A refreshing post to read because of that. Maybe he just pulled a muscle in his groin?

Glad the injections (wonder what they were?) helped him feel better. Will be watching this thread for updates.
    x

Lurcherlad likes this.
  5. Silverpaw

Thanks.The injections were: Ranitidine,Synulox,Dexadreson and Vetergesic (Multidose).The tablets are Clavaseptin and Prednicare.Vet said he had no option but to give steroids (didn't want to incase of tumour) but Maci can't have nsaids.They'll assess if he needs scan tomorrow.He can't eat after 8pm tonight incase they do one tomorrow.Knowing Maci,that will be his biggest concern.He's an ex street dog and food is massively important to him.I'll keep you informed.

lorilu likes this.
  6. Silverpaw

Don't know if it could be pulled muscle,it's a really big lump.He hasn't done anything strenuous,other than his usual hydrotherapy.It's the side where his back leg is missing (amputated 2years ago in August)See what tomorrow brings.

7. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Hernia?

8. Silverpaw

I don't know,it wasn't mentioned.I don't know how big that could be?Just hope it's something that can be treated,bless him.He's not had the easiest of lives,he was 7/8years old when he came here from the streets of Romania 6years ago.He came with orthopaedic and digestive issues but he's done so well,I've never given cancer a thought until now.

lorilu likes this.
  9. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

We're all paws crossed here. Some powerful vibes at PF. But of course the most important part right now is Maci is feeling better for the weekend, and that is thanks to YOU. XXXXXXXXX

10. Silverpaw

Thank you so much for your support and suggestions.Little Maci came here to be loved and looked after,the fact that he's an absolute treasure is a real bonus.Can't wait for tomorrows appointment but dreading it at the same time.We'll explore every avenue for sure but it's good to have support,suggestions and reminders if we overlook or don't spot something along the way.

lorilu likes this.
  11. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Paws crossed for Maci tomorrow, and fingers too.

Steroids have their place and I can see the concerns, but it's a double edged sword using steroids to treat possible tumours so it's dependent on the vet and their philosophy. At the end of the day it might be only for one day, which is negilble really. However they can be life savers. So try not to worry too much, especially as he's perked up.

People often ask here about going to the vets. What you have described I would have phoned the emergency vets too. I have a few times without being seen, they have given me peace of mind and then there have been times I have gone to see them. I think we as savvy owners know when a dog is needed to be seen, or it's a wait and see scenario.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  12. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

Our thoughts are with you at this worrying time,prayers and vibes sent from me and the little legged hounds.xx

lullabydream likes this.
  13. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

Hope you get some answers tomorrow will be thinking of you both:)

14. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Thinking of the worst, you wouldn't expect a cancer to grow so rapidly and suddenly. So that's a positive, I think?

Lurcherlad and lullabydream like this.
  15. Silverpaw

Thanks,everyone and yes,it probably is a bit quick for cancer,just thinking I might have missed something.He has perked up a good bit,he's just munched his way through a braided ostrich chew.He's quite alert now,feels like I'm getting my boy back!If we carry on like this,I might get some sleep tonight.Maci slept like a log last night and I just watched over him,as you do!

niamh123 and lullabydream like this.
  16. Silverpaw

Hi,it's been a bit of a day.Maci was seen by the vet this morning and they kept him in to do a scan.They have sent samples from the mass that had developed off for testing.They found abnormal areas on his liver and spleen,which could be changes due to age,or something far more serious.They want the results back from the lab before they explore what's going on with his liver and spleen further,feeling that this may direct them with what to do and also save him being anethesised any more than is absolutely necessary.On a positive note,Maci was brilliant and has been medically diagnosed as a sweetie!He now has a shaved tum and the bulging mass is pretty evident.He's to stay on the antibiotics but not the steroids.The results should be back by the end of the week.
    Maci looks good in himself,his old self at the moment.I did something that I probably shouldn't have done and googled liver and spleen cancer.It makes a terrifying read but sounds so much like Maci's symptoms.Apparently,because the tumours are in the blood vessels,there is a risk of rupturing and causing internal bleeding.Sadly,it seems many dogs die before being diagnosed.It metastasizes rapidly and dogs have a very limited survival time.Ever wish you hadn't read something?Crossing everything that my beautiful boy doesn't have this and I can reproach myself for being an idiot!Meanwhile,watching him closely because any internal haemorrhages are obviously a medical emergency.Wondered if anyone else has come across this?

17. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Aw, poor lad. Hope all is ok, please keep us posted x

18. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Thanks for letting us know. Keeping all the paws crossed for Maci here. If it is a worst case scenario, may he have many happy suffering free days left with you. XXXXXXx

19. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Wish I could be more helpful..my dog had an undiagnosed liver condition, that they thought was cancer at 2. Every scan, blood test, biopsy came back inconclusive. She responded to liver support treatment, but did have flare ups. She was really poorly when it first occurred and other times too. No visible mass though.

Hoping for good news for Maci.

20. Silverpaw

Thanks,everyone.I'll keep you informed.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice