Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Urgent tip for leaving my puppy alone today

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by BabyBlu, Nov 13, 2012.

1. BabyBlu

BabyBlu PetForums Senior

Hi
    I have to leave my nearly 12 week staffie alone for a few hours today.
    Its rather urgent as I need to pick up my laptop from a data recovery place, then take it to the Apple Store to put a new hard drive in. This is going to take 4 hours I reckon.
    What can I do? I have only left her for an hour so far when I have had to get food and pop to the gym for a quick workout.
    I am planning to have a long play session in the garden and leave her a kong - but to be honest I leave her a kong every night and it is left untouched til I come down in the morning, and then she chews it and gets all the treats out when I am there.
    She IS getting better at night, just a little crying at bedtime and then again at 6am just before I come down.
    I don't really have a choice. I need to sort my laptop out. I know she is going to be very upset and I am dreading it.
    Also she is following me up and down stairs a lot. Is this bad for her joints? We haves one baby gate but the bottom step is very wide, not sure to fix one there. The only other option is to shut her in the kitchen every time I go upstairs
    Thank you!

2. AngelEyes92

AngelEyes92 PetForums Senior

Long training session, wear her out and leave her with plenty of toys. Don't make a big deal out of saying goodbye. Let her out for a wee and wait until she's playing quietly with her toys, then sneak out.

Stairs are quite bad for joints. Does she follow you all the way up/ down the stairs? How often?

3. BabyBlu

BabyBlu PetForums Senior

Thank you Angel
    I will try this. I know it will be hard because at the mo if im not there she wont play with her toys or settle at all. Poor girl :(
    Yes, she follows up the stairs often! Whenever I go up basically. If i was just nipping up for a toilet trip I would leave her for 5 mins in the living room (where I mainly work) until yesterday she started weeing in there, so now I let her follow me. I suppose I should shut her in the kitchen then when I nip up. I don't want to upset her, but I don't want to damage her joints either :(

4. Wiz201

Wiz201 PetForums VIP

She'll get used to being occaisonally left, don't worry.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice