Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Urgent re-assurance needed

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by firstprincess, Sep 7, 2012.

1. firstprincess

firstprincess PetForums Member

OUR KITTEN HAS HAD DIARHOEA SINCE WE GOT HER (SHE WAS HAND REARED AS MUM ABANDONED KITTENS). THEY'VE BEEN BACK AND FORWARD TO VETS AND A FAECAL SAMPLE SENT AWAY LAST WEEK - KITTEN FINE IN THEM SELVES ETC.

I JUST LISTENED TO A MESSAGE ON THE ANSWERPHONE AND ITS THE VET TELLING ME THEY HAVE CLOSTRIDIUM AND HE MENTIONS ENTERITIS. THIS IS ISNT FELINE ENTERITIS IS IT? YOU WOULDNT FIND THAT ON A POO SAMPLE?

WHAT THE HELL DOES THIS ALL MEAN? IM SO WORRIED! :eek::(

IVE TRIED CALLING BACK BUT THE VET WONT BE FREE UNTIL THIS EVENING!!! :(

2. spid

spid PetForums VIP

sorry I haven't got a clue - but will go and have a google.

Hopefully it won't be anything horrid. CHin up.

3. MontyMaude

MontyMaude PetForums VIP

Enteritis is just a generic term used to describe an irritated intestine isn't it. I would say stop panicking and stop googling and just wait until you speak to the Vet, diarrhoea is extremely common in kittens and could be due to a huge variety of thing most of which are very easily treated.

4. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

Feline enteritis would show up. However, 'enteritis' means inflammation of the intestine which can be the result of many conditions and could be as a result of the clostridium. Feline enteritis is panleukopenia which is a specific disease.

5. firstprincess

firstprincess PetForums Member

Thank you. I feel so sick with worry. my cats are my babies x

6. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Please don't panic!:) As havoc says, "enteritis" in this instance means an inflammation of the gut/bowel and is, as the vet has said, due to Clostridium Difficile.

C.Diff is usually acquired by some individuals (humans or other mammals) following a course, or several courses, of antibiotics. Has your kitten been given antibiotics since you got him?

Actual treatment is not always necessary, as the bowel in time, on a good diet can put itself back in balance. Only severe cases need treatment, and that would be (I am afraid) more antibiotics!

See what the vet advises when you speak to him, but I would certainly give some serious thought to reviewing your kitten's diet anyway.

7. catcoonz

catcoonz PetForums VIP

i expect the vet will put the kitten on synulox antibiotics and pro-kaolin to settle the stomach.

8. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

There are many different strains of Clostridium. It's most unlikely to be C. Difficile.

9. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

OK, thanks :)

10. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

What the lab report is very likely to say is that there's a +ve result for Clostridium and then it will say something like 'can occur naturally'. This bit the vet won't bother to pass on :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice