Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Urgent please help me!!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by gsdlover1991, Feb 10, 2012.

1. gsdlover1991

gsdlover1991 PetForums Junior

i have a 5 month old gsd pup, she has had bad diarreah for about 2 weeks now, i thought it was the food she was on, i spoke to vets, who said to starve her for 24 hours then to go onto boiled rice, i did that, and the problem continued, so got this stuff from vets to help to bond it all up inside her, but now she still has the runs and is now puking, but i have no money to take her to vets, and the excess on her insurance is £100.

Please can someone help me, im so worried.

and PLEASE dont have a go at me, i devote everyday of my lives to these dogs, and care for them so much!!

2. piercedinwales

piercedinwales PetForums Newbie

Im not sure where you are from but can't you go somewhere like the PDSA or have a chat to your vet and offer to pay in installments? Sounds like you really need to get back to the vet asap. Good luck.

3. Coffee

Coffee PetForums VIP

Are you receiving any benefits? If so you might be entitled to go to your local PDSA.

I'm not going to have a go at you :) I know what it's like to be skint but your pup has been poorly for a while now and really sounds like she needs to go back to the Vets :( Is there no-one, family or friend, that could lend you some money?

4. gsdlover1991

im from newquay cornwall, ill have a look at pdsa, hadn't thought of them. if not i will see if vets can but i dont think they will. worth a try though. *crosses fingers*

5. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Have you got a credit card?

6. tinaK

tinaK PetForums VIP

To use the PDSA you've got to be in reciept of and be

To qualify, pet owners need to:

Live within the defined catchment area of a PDSA PetAid hospital or practice service.
    Be receiving either Housing Benefit or Council Tax Benefit *

Taken from PDSA Vet Care - Who can PDSA help?

Failing that, your vet might let you pay installments. Hope you can work something out

7. gsdlover1991

im on esa, housing benifit and council tax benifit. will phone them now thank you

8. tinaK

tinaK PetForums VIP

Then you will be able to use the PDSA. You will need a letter saying you quailifty for the benefits. The letter also needs to be dated within the last 6 months, but I *think* they will do emergency treatment and let you provide the letter later. Good luck

9. kodakkuki

kodakkuki PetForums VIP

I'm sorry but sounds like she really does need seen. Phone around the vets in our area (including the nearest pdsa) and see if Anyone would accept a payment plan.
    I don't mean to scare you, and thought long and hard before posting- but digestive infections can be Very serious, especially small dogs and puppies. In November my little yorkie boy passed away two days shy of his 9th birthday from a digestive tract infection; he vomited thurs night once, had dirrohea the next two and vomited again on Saturday afternoon and he was rushed to er on Sunday morning after took a bad turn (like with parvo) and he passed in his sleep cuddled up on a heat matt a few hours later. Not the same symptoms and I'm not saying that I think your pup has the same infection as Toby, but it does need treated sooner rather than later- if for no other reason than her general comfort. I'm sure you know how sore your tummy can get after a day or two of having an iffy tummy.

Would you qualify for pdsa assistance? Even if not if you explain about your pup they may agree to a payment plan.

Ok, I took so long typing (and yelling at poppet a little) I missed the whole convo... Sorry! Hope she feels better soon!)

#9 kodakkuki, Feb 10, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  10. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

If you other dogs then you must have a regular vet - is this the case? If you are a regualr clinet of the practise they may accept payment plans but you really do need to get your pup assessed sooner rather than later

11. LisaZonda

LisaZonda PetForums VIP

I'm not going to have a go at you...I've been skint too and I know how horrible it can be when you're in a situation such as this.

However, it sounds as though your dog really does need a vet...please don't take any chances because if anything terrible happens you have to live with that :nonod:

Do you have anybody that could lend you some money, a friend or family member....or perhaps have a word with your vet, they are very understanding and of course don't want to see any animal go without treatment, many will sort out a payment plan for you.

Please don't take any chances.

12. vickieb

vickieb PetForums VIP

I really hope PDsa can help you :(

Fingers crossed and let us know how you get on. X

13. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

Once you have been to the vet and you do qualify for PDSA treatment try her on a raw diet. It was the only thing that my first Mal could eat and he had diarrhoea for around three months on and off, mostly on. Found he was allergic to additives/grains that's why rice made him worse. He is still on raw now, seven years on - as are all my dogs big and little.

Start with minced raw chicken for a week, then add a chicken leg (something too big for her to swallow whole) or wings but you have to hold onto them til she chews them and knows what to do. Chicken carcasses are fine too and often solidify stool because of the bone content, get them from a butcher, sometimes they call them chicken frames.

See how she goes and there are plenty of us on here who will hep get you started as will this book Work Wonders: Feed Your Dog Raw Meaty Bones: Amazon.co.uk: Tom Lonsdale: 9780975717400: Books

If she is allergic to cooked/commercial food then the sooner she is off of it the better. My Marty had loads of tests, bloods, stool samples, AB's, urine tests and nothing worked for him until we stumbled on the barf diet on the net. Worth a try. Good luck and hope she improves soon, bless her! :)

14. gsdlover1991

vets wont help they say we have to pay then and there, she is no refusing to eat or drink, and pdsa wont answer there phone, plus i havent had my paperwork through saying about my housing ben/ council tax, i dont know what to do

15. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

Well at a push I would take her to a vet, get her treated and THEN say I need a payment plan. I would beg steal or borrow for mine and if I had to lie I would!

16. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

If you vet is not accepting a payment plan( did they say why not?) then I would book an appointment, get he necessary treatment & give them a cheque knowing it would bounce. Am not saying this right at all but you need to get your dog seen to.

17. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

18. tinaK

tinaK PetForums VIP

They will provide emergency treatment

If they are not answering( are you trying your local number) I then personally would take her down

19. Pointermum

Pointermum PetForums VIP

When did she last drink ?

She sound's as if she will need emergency care soon :( Has she not has a stool sample taken yet? If not i would take one in asap

20. x PIXIE x

x PIXIE x PetForums VIP

aww your poor pup :( some places offer a discount plan. PDSA is the best bet.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice