Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Urgent please help me quick

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by pinkyblare, May 12, 2010.

1. pinkyblare

pinkyblare PetForums Junior

Hi i wrote on here other day about toto the dwarf baby lop, he went vets monday for not eating and drinking, they kept him in and gave two fluid injections pain killer injection and fed him the recovery they sent him home yesterday with some recovery sachet (which i might add was out of date!) i was fuming but had nothing else to give him so proceeded with feeding 1-2mls every couple hours through eve and night he is hanging in there but not pooing his tummy is like a balloon, i also got some pro-biotic powder mix a lady mentioned added that to water but getting him to drink is a battle i didn syringe some of it to him but what else can the vet do know has his digestive system shut down i feel so cruel feeding him up when he cant poo it out i am so upset i dont know whtat to do i am phoning my rubbish vets today but i have no confidence and just dont know where to turn for help (my mum has experience in breeding birman cats and says they give sinolux when they like this but is this the case for rabbits?) is anything worth a try the sinolux in anti biotic but that could do more harm than good for Toto with his digestive system as it is, will it kick start or is this the end am i just waiting for his to pass away i am so upset i dont know what to do

Thanks xxxxxxx

2. jaxb05

jaxb05 PetForums VIP

I don't know what to say as I can't give advice on this situation - just hope that your vet can help your little bunny out.
    Jacqui x

3. Lollie1515

Lollie1515 PetForums Member

Do you have to take him to that vets, could you not have a look else where for a better vets? get an emergency appointment and then inform them of what has happened.

I hope little toto pulls through, Please dont worry you are doing all you can.

Keep us updated.

Laura x

4. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

5. pinkyblare

THanks ladies i have posted on rabbits united see what they say, i will keep you posted its so upsetting when you have a pooly pet i have never experienced this and so upset cause he is so young and only had him a week and half i want to give him every chance to survive regardless of cost but wonder if my vets kow what they doing just phoned and they said they would have him back in to x-ray tomo as his tummy may be blocked!

pray for toto for me ladies xxxxx

6. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Im not 100% sure, but i dont think you can give Synulox to rabbits. Baytril is licensed for use in small animals.

Have you asked if they have given metaclopramide? This will stimulate the gut.

Fingers crossed for the little guy.

7. pinkyblare

Arh thanks ladies feel more positive now took him back they gave metaclopramide injection and have me some bring home thank goodness for these sites they wanted x ray but said see him in few days he has just eaten quite bit of hay YEAH for toto come on little fella thanks again ladies i am sure he turning a corner fingers crossed he still not pooing yet but hoping he will today

xxxxxxx

8. Zippstar

Zippstar PetForums Member

All our fingers and toes crossed for him hun!

9. hazyreality

hazyreality PetForums VIP

I had this with Hope twice. He had no teeth so stuggled ot get enough fibre. He was given some laxative when he was at the vets and some more sent home for me to give him (I think it was called Laxulose), antibiotic and painkiller. He had an x-ray but all it confirmed was that there was a blockage, which was possibly fur.
    Anyway, they kept him in all day but couldnt get him to eat and if rabbits dont eat, their stomachs dont work and the blockage will never clear. So I brought him home and tried him on recovery but he would touch it, so I syringe fed him pineapple juice, bran mash(really really mushy bran flakes) and water every hour or so, to make sure he had something in his stomach, its horrible to force them but they wont eat because of the pain of the blockage but the blockage wont clear if they dont eat. I took him to the vets the next day expecting the worst and she said "what on earth have you managed to get into him" so I told her and she said the blockage was clearing, gave him some more laxative and I did the same thing that day. The next day he would eat the bran mash by himself and about a week later was fighting fit.

I hope that it gives you hope(and maybe ideas) for little Toto :)

*Heidi*

10. pinkyblare

No poop yet so might try the lactulose we have that in the cupboard as my daughter suffers will try a ml of that or something cant harm i guess he needs to poo and quick i will also try the pineappe juice although is he too young? its worth a go as heard few mention that thanks again i hope he makes it if he doesnt poo he is in trouble i need get him hopping round later get things moving will try those things many thanks xxx keep you posted

11. hazyreality

hazyreality PetForums VIP

I dunno if that would be the same? Mine came from the vets?
    I would try anything food wise really just to get him eating, pineapple, apple, banana, anything like that in small quantities.

*Heidi*

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice