Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

URGENT -INJURED BABY RABBIT

Discussion in 'Wildlife Chat' started by Nature Child, Apr 17, 2019.

1. Nature Child

Nature Child PetForums Newbie

I need advice, ASAP, today...I am in hyper stress mode ..
    I heard loud squealing in the garden, earlier today.
    My cat had a small grey rabbit in her mouth. I ran out, took the rabbit out of her mouth. Locked the cat in the house. There was no sign of injury on the rabbit, but it was twitching, terrified, pulling it self along the grass with its front legs. Then it went still, but its eyes remained open, and its body shows strong breathing.
    I phoned the vet, I wanted to know what is the best thing to do.
    Let my cat finish the job, put the rabbit out of its misery.
    Vet says rabbit might just be in shock...but I don't think so.
    Vet says, bring the rabbit in tomorrow, and they will euthanize it.
    But A ) I don't want to prolong the rabbits agony..
    B ) Suppose I take the rabbit in and they send it to an experimental laboratory ?
    I am - Really, REALLY, concerned about this little creature,
    and -DO NOT want it to suffer any further..
    What do I do ? Leave it to suffer all through the night..
    Then take it to the vet ? or should I finish it off myself, tonight ?
    Please help !

2. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Well, your Vet cannot send the rabbit to any laboratory.

A Vet is not obliged to take any wild animal/bird, unless it's injured, and then they have to, although they would normally put the animal to sleep.

Is the rabbit distressed and appearing to be in pain?

If not, I would make it comfortable overnight, in a cool, dark place, with access to water and a little food, and take it to your Vet first thing in the morning.

#2 Rafa, Apr 17, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    Lurcherlad likes this.
  3. Nature Child

Hi Rafa, Thank you for your response, really helps to communicate with someone ..
    The rabbit cannot move, it is just lying in the box that I gently placed it in, after i had picked up off the grass.
    All it is doing is breathing.... its body is showing breathing movement, that is it. I have left the rabbit in a box quite some distance from the house.
    So the cat cannot smell where it is.
    I am in a very rural area, surrounded by fields and mountains...
    There are no other houses near by ...

4. Nature Child

.... the poor little creature will not be able to eat or drink... the only movement from its prone body is breathing, and the occasional reflex twitch of its body ..
    I do hope the little fella dies very soon... I hate to think it will be suffering on and on..it was, obviously, so terrified from the experience ...

5. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

It's sad. I have been in this situation many times, usually with birds my JR has caught.

Right now, the rabbit likely doesn't need or want to eat or drink. I would leave some water available, if you can.

Otherwise, you're doing all you can. The rabbit is safe and peaceful. Hopefully, it will pass soon if it's critically injured.

If not, take it to your Vet tomorrow. You really have done the very best you can.

6. Nature Child

Thank you so much, Rafa, for "Being There " for me, I'm pretty shaken up I have to say ... I live at the top of an isolated mountain, so, no street lights here ..
    So I will need my torch for the hike .. will leave some water underneath the bush where I placed the rabbit ...will take a miracle for it to move...
    but, just in case ...

7. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

You're welcome. It does shake you up. You want to help, but you have done all you can right now.

Nature can be cruel.

The rabbit may just have been very shocked, but nature will decide.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice