Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Urgent - I'm Roadblocked from Contacting the RSPCA

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by white_shadow, Jul 11, 2012.

1. white_shadow

white_shadow PetForums Member

Need info quickly on this........

I'm in North America - have info on willful neglect of a poisoned cat whose "owner" refuses to seek Vet intervention

I'm on the RSPCA's site - trying to send them the specifics through their website's messaging ststem.........and, while the bloody setup demands a telephone number - which I've entered - THE GD SYSTEM SAYS "PLEASE ENTER A VALID PHONE NUMBER"

omg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just tried calling them collect....the (sweet) operator on my end put me through to one of YOUR operators....who abruptly told me 'we don't put collect calls through to those numbers' and abruptly hung up.

WTH do I do?

2. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

Why are you phoning them collect. You need to pay for the call in order to get through.

3. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

Where does the poisoned cat and owner live ??? If they're in the UK maybe someone from over here could report them, I have used the RSPCA site before.

4. Munchkyns

Munchkyns PetForums Member

I'm wondering why your 'phone number hasn't been accepted. Have you put in a space perhaps where it probably won't accept one, or not put in a space where it may be looking for one? Used a full area code? I'm not sure how it works with your numbers but have had similar problems with my number or postcode in the past. Maybe try experimenting a little.

5. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

You may need to put in an international dialing code

6. lizward

lizward PetForums VIP

Umm, because you are in the US!

Liz

7. white_shadow

in the UK....

OR maybe someone over there could pick up their phone, call the RSPCA ans ask them??????

Need help, folks.

8. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

Try putting 001 in front of your phone number, that's the code to call America from the UK ;)

If you could tell us where in the UK they live, then we might be able to help!

9. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

I realise you are frustrated OP but no one here can get in touch with the RSPCA on your behalf without knowing any of the details regarding this cat.

10. white_shadow

I just tried adding the prefix 001 to the number - same result, their system won't accept it.

It isn't my request that anyone report the case itself.

It's the ROADBLOCK I need someone to ask them about.

OK -

In the simplest possible terms, would someone in the UK who is reading this, please pick up your phone, and call the RSPCA's
    and say:
    1. I'm on a UK online pet forum and one of our members has posted that he is trying to report a case of animal cruelty/abuse through your website - BUT your website will not accept his legitimate phone number.

2. WHAT CAN I ADVISE HIM TO DO?

OK, there's the script.

Could somebody call them please?

If you're going to do this, please say so in a post.....so that the RSPCA doesn't get as many phone calls as there are people here willing to do it.

11. Cookieandme

Cookieandme PetForums VIP

Changing the coding on a website to accept a phone number not in the UK is not going to happen tonight, tomorrow or even this week and most probably never.

As frustrating as that might seem to you, it is probably to prevent non UK residents from reporting issues that the RSPCA has no control over.

Maybe you could report the issue to the ASPCA and see if they have a reciprocal arrangement with the RSPCA.

12. white_shadow

Cookieandme - I'm not asking to get the blessed coding changed...ever.

Here's what I just wrote:

13. Cookieandme

14. Jiskefet

Jiskefet Slave to the Hairy Hikers

Copied from their web site:

Reporting animals in distress

You can use My RSPCA to report a mistreated, neglected, injured or distressed animal, or you can call our 24-hour cruelty line on 0300 1234 999.

We campaign for changes to the law and provide education and advice to pet owners. Some situations that may appear distressing are not against the law. In their daily work our inspectors have to prioritise cases where the law is actually being broken.

Read our checklist to help you identify the information we may ask for when you contact us.

Fax line: 0303 123 0100

If you have a program on your computer to send a fax, you could report your case that way. The fax will accept calls from the US, I think.....

15. tomdorrian

tomdorrian Guest

Just seen this thread.

Have you tried : http://www.petforums.co.uk/introductions/244095-hello-rspca.html they are on here and available to chat with? No phone number needed.

I think the problem you are having is the RSPCA is a UK Based charity and you are based in America. Have you tried dialling 00443001234999 (0044 is the international dialling code for the UK and they won't accept collect calls).

#15 tomdorrian, Jul 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2012
  16. tinamary

tinamary PetForums VIP

Tomdorrian, We dont know if Gemma will come back and read the post.
    You will need to put +44 infront of the number i think.

17. tomdorrian

tomdorrian Guest

OK. Thanks for letting us know.

Surely the OP can phone the cruelty line though by putting the international dialling code in front of the phone number (00443001234999)? I know they won't take reverse charge or collect calls though on that number.

18. Cookieandme

This is the reason the telephone number won't accept calls from outside the UK.

Route 0303 calls depending on the location of the caller to your nearest call centre with UK2Numbers STD Area Code Routing Service (also known as Exchange Routing service). This complex service is mostly suitable for large corporate organisations with multiple office locations or call centers.

19. tinamary

tinamary PetForums VIP

If you post your problem to one of the mods with a contact number so that they can varify everything with you then im sure they will be able to pass the message on the RSPCA if thats what you want to do.

Hope you mods don't mind being the go between if it helps the cat

20. MCWillow

MCWillow PetForums VIP

If you post the details of the case, so someone in the UK can report it, the animal is more likely to get help faster.

Are those terms simple enough for you?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice