Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Urgent help with sick kitten!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Jan4589, Nov 15, 2020.

1. Jan4589

Jan4589 PetForums Newbie

Hi all,

I’ve been up with my 12 week old kitten all night and am seeking urgent advice to help him survive.
    There are no vets/emergency vets available near me for 24 hours.
    My kitten was perfectly healthy just 12 hours ago. He is dewormed and has his first set of shots, and the vet said he was in perfect health 3 weeks ago.

About 10 hours ago we noticed he was more lethargic than usual. He got up to use the litter box and had a limp. He had diarrhea with fresh blood in it.
    He refuses to eat or drink and is very lethargic, not very alert. His last meal was about 12 hours ago.

I’ve syringed some water into his mouth, but he refuses to eat any wet food. Also tried pumpkin.

any help/advice would be great. I’m really hoping the little guy pulls through

2. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

You may like to re-post on Cat Chat you'll get more help on there.

3. Babyshoes

Babyshoes PetForums VIP

That's a medical emergency and ideally he really, really needs a vet. If you're in the UK, there will be an out of hours vet somewhere, even if you need to travel a bit.

Assuming you aren't, I would still try to get advice from an online vet if you can find one. Afraid I can't recommend one, but I do know there are services available where you get a virtual appointment. If you ring your usual vet, is there a message about out of hours at all?

Another thought is to contact rescues in your area - they might know of a vet who is on call, or at least might have an experienced volunteer who could help, perhaps give him sub-cutaneous fluids if he's dehydrated or suggest something they use in these situations.

Is he still having runny poo or has that stopped? Is there still blood?

The most important thing right now is water, keep trying to get that into him, but a little food will be good if you can get him to eat anything.

For food, try cooking a piece of chicken on the bone, or white fish. Either boil it in water, or pop it in the oven with an inch or so of water, and cover with foil or a lid.
    After cooking, allow it to cool just until you can touch it comfortably but is still warm, remove the bone and any gristly bits, then try to tempt him with a bit of the warm flesh served with a spoonful of the cooking water. You may find he will eat a bit from your fingers if he won't eat from a bowl.
    If he refuses solids, try gently syringing the cooking water which will have a little nutrition. (Make sure you know how to do that without getting it into his lungs. There are good videos online.)
    If you have longer, or use a pressure cooker, you could make a bone broth. You'll need to look up a recipe, but essentially you boil the bones until they dissolve. Highly nutritious and apparently very palatable to cats.

Tagging @Ceiling Kitty in case she's around today and can give better advice.

buffie likes this.
  4. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

Moved to Cat Chat. :)

Babyshoes and Jan4589 like this.
  5. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

This is an emergency situation , a kitten of 12 weeks can and will deteriorate quickly without veterinary treatment
    Where about are you ? If in the UK vets by law must provide emergency cover even if it isn't at their own surgery .If you are not in the UK we have members from many parts of the world they will be able to advise about emergency vet services.
    Please try to find a vet now , tomorrow may be too late :(

6. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

Is this the same kitten who had eye issues?? The symptoms above sound dangerously like Calicivirus and if so he MUST be seen by a vet NOW.
    Calicivirus is a nasty disease and in kittens it is a killer. It is normally covered by vaccination, however as he has only had the first jabs he won't be fully protected.

LinznMilly and chillminx like this.
  7. Douglas’ Dad

Douglas’ Dad PetForums Senior

If you can't get to a vet straight away, please contact viovet.co.uk who in conjunction with vets from PawSquad are seeing patients online
    They will prescribe medicines too if needed which viovet will dispense for you

https://www.viovet.co.uk/bslp/online-vet-consultation

As others have said, vets in the UK have to offer 24 emergency cover by law so someone will be open somewhere if you are in Britain.

For general help, you can also ask vets at justanswer.co.uk and ask for a cat vet. The quality of the vets do vary but I have had excellent advice from the following and if you name them specifically in your question they will make sure only these vets answer your question:

Dr Michael Salkin (US)
    Dr Joey (US)
    Dr Chris (UK)

8. Jan4589

Jan4589 PetForums Newbie

Exactly, it is the same kitten. The eye issue had seem to be clear by the time I adopted him, and he was given a clean bill of health by his vet. We’re on our way to an emergency vet now. Praying he can hang on.

Tigermoon, buffie and chillminx like this.
  9. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

10. Jan4589

Jan4589 PetForums Newbie

Thank you for your help. He refuses to eat, but I have been force feeding some electrolyte water. Unfortunately I’m in Canada and emergency vet clinics are quite rare. I’m on my way to one now that is a couple hours away, and praying he can hang on.

Babyshoes likes this.
  11. Xnonny

Xnonny PetForums Newbie

Sending positive vibes

Douglas’ Dad likes this.
  12. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

Wishing you and the kitten well, I hope the vet is able to sort him out.

Douglas’ Dad likes this.
  13. white_shadow

white_shadow PetForums Member

Hi jan4589 and welcome to the forum !

'Had a thought for you.......check your messages.

14. Babyshoes

Babyshoes PetForums VIP

Sending healing vibes. Please do let us know how it goes.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice