Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

urgent help required!!

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Brelly, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Brelly

Brelly PetForums Newbie

ok so here goes....
    2half weeks ago I visited a litter of pups and although they were on the small side their environment was clean and they were alert/walking around a small pen....I left a deposit on the little girl I had chosen as she was too young to collect until 12th April... I collected her yesterday morning as the breeder was "going on holiday and wanted them out the way" :mad: expected to collect a happy bouncy almost 8 weeks old chunky pup with lots of energy....instead she was the same size as when I last visited, skin and bones with hardly any life in her....I scooped her up and took her straight to the vets where her body condition was noted as "emaciated". the vet is unable to tell whether malnutrition has stunted her growth or if she is in fact around 5/6weeks old. for her given age and breed she should weigh around 10-15lb and she only just weighs 3.5lb....vet has basically said to feed her little and often and make sure she is kept warm, also she needs bathing in hibbyscrub twice daily as she has ulcers on her feet from paddling around in faeces and urine for weeks on end....if anyone has ANY HELPFUL advice then plz comment :)
    p.s. I am not interested in opinions about how I shouldn't have bought her/funding crap breeders etc if it wasn't me that bought her then someone else would have and at least she now has someone willing to do their best to get her better and breeder has been reported!!!

Wiz201 likes this.
  2. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Send the RSPCA round

3. Brelly

Brelly PetForums Newbie

I reported her yesterday when I got back from the vets :)

4. Lovemygingers

Lovemygingers PetForums Newbie

Oh poor baby. What breed? Don't worry not here to judge sure someone will be round soon enough tho! Sometimes you have to follow your heart and not your head. Little and often is good. We rescued a litter of 3 staffy pups a few years ago and I used chicken breast and had to soften a quality kibble as they hadnt been weaned and where six months old, gradually we introduces the tripe and chicken minces etc until on total raw. Scrambled eggs with goats milk prove gentle on the tummy too. I'm sure every one has there different ways but it worked for us. Good luck and keep I posted

5. Kchip

Kchip PetForums Senior

Poor little mite. Lucky girl to be with you now and get all nicely fattened up!

6. Bobbie

Bobbie PetForums VIP

Oh I do hope you can make her well again and give her the life she should have the bond between you and the dog will be so strong then. Take care and keep us updated.

7. Dingle

Dingle PetForums VIP

If it were me I'd be sourcing a good quality wet puppy food to get the ball rolling, also get some lactol milk and feed that too. A nice clean warm bed and lots of love. good luck :)

8. branwen

branwen PetForums VIP

Poor little girl...hope you can get her well and make her a happy pup soon.

9. Owned By A Yellow Lab

Owned By A Yellow Lab PetForums VIP

I'm really glad you reported this breeder!

And it sounds as though with your love and care this girl will be on the road to recovery soon - please keep us posted? What breed is your pup?

Just as a general point: I know it's very tempting for one to think that at least if they buy one pup from a bad breeder, that's helping that pup. The trouble is, it then encourages the breeder to mate dogs again and THEN you get another litter of pups in trouble :(

It's a sad fact that the *only* way to stop these unethical breeders is to starve them of any cash flow - in other words, to not buy from them.

10. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Quite possible she is younger then she supposed to be and also that she hasn't been weaned properly on to food and they have relied on the mum to give her what nutrition shes had or most of it. Also did you see the Mum and her condition that would likely have given you further clues. Whatever age she is though she shouldnt be underweight and been kept in the conditions she was that's caused further problems. You will need to watch too that things like frequent diarrhoea or vomiting doesnt start, as pups especially ones in her condition can get dehydrated very quickly which can cause them to go down hill fast and is serious, so if anything like that happens then you need to speak to your vet straight away as she may need fluids gotten into her urgently.

If the pups are underfed and been kept in bad conditions, then its also likely they haven't been wormed, which would add to her nutrition problems. Pups should have started worming at 2 weeks old, or at least when they start weaning, then they should be wormed every 2/3 weeks until 12 weeks old, then monthly up to 6months and then from 6 months like adults every 3/4 months. If the vet didn't mention worming then you really need to speak to him about it.

Usually puppies are on 4 meals a day at this age, given her state, you will probably have to feed her little and often and even more. If you give too much at a time in bigger and less frequent meals then her stomach may not be able to cope. If shes on dry food, I would start off soaking it in a little warm water to soften it and make it easier to eat and be easier on the digestion too.

It would possibly be a good idea to give her something like Welpi inbetween too, its a substitute for mums milk which can be used for puppies, bitches and
    dogs that are ill as a substitute for mothers milk or as a nutrional supplement.
    Welpi
    There are others that are similar too.

Hope that now shes receiving the proper care and in a loving home she will start to pick up quickly.

#10 Sled dog hotel, Apr 11, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
  11. Dianne58

Dianne58 PetForums Member

This little pup is soooooo lucky to have found you :001_wub::001_wub: I really hope with all my heart that with your love and attention that she pulls through x x x

12. Brelly

Brelly PetForums Newbie

thanks you sooo much for all of your kind messages and helpful advice!
    I understand completely the comment about not buying from a bad breeder, but honestly if I could have afforded the lot I would have bought them to get them away from there.....I feel racked with guilt that I just picked my little girl and left the others :(
    shes a gorgeous little Dal, so hopefully in a couple of months she should be racing around and causing chaos!!
    shes on 6 meals of 2 tablespoons a day made up of:
    meals 1 + 4 = 1tbs puppy meat with 1 scrambled egg
    meals 2 + 5 = 1tbs meat with 10grams puppy kibble
    meals 3 + 6 = 1tbs meat with 1 tbs boiled rice
    during the day she has little strips of chicken, just cooked a breast and its lasted 2 days so its like a little snack for her. thankfully so far we have avoided the diarrhea and she definitely seems to have a bit more energy!! the vet prescribed me a wormer for her so shes up to date with that :)
    im just hoping that the other litter-mates and mum can be helped as soon as possible xxx

13. koolchick

koolchick PetForums Senior

Glad she seem to be getting better try not to feel bad about the other pups at least one will be loved and looked after.

14. Brelly

Brelly PetForums Newbie

she has just been to the toilet and had a bit of diarrhea....nothing really severe at the moment but when should I call the vet? ive read online that if shes drinking plenty and eating as normal then not to be too concerned but im just thinking shes not really well to start with so should I call now?? :( xx

15. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Well, obviously, being so light in weight, you wouldn't want her to have the runs for any period of time, but as this is probably the first time in her life she has had decent food, it's not surprising that her system is a little bit upset.

It could also have been caused by the wormer.

I wouldn't worry, but keep a close eye out and if it persists, it would be wise to have a word with your vet.

Good luck with her, I'm sure all will be well for her now.

16. delca1

delca1 PetForums VIP

Poor little pup, glad she's found someone to care for her :) I know nothing about teeny puppies so can't offer anything apart from crossing my fingers and hoping she goes from strength to strength.
    Good luck and stop feeling guilty leaving the other pups, reporting the breeder is the best thing you could do, hopefully they will now be rescued and looked after.

17. Sled dog hotel

Its not unusual for them to become a bit loose when first going to new homes, or if there is a sudden abrupt change to diet, as shes had both together its going to be a bit more likely still. If shes not going very frequently and its just a bit loose I wouldn't panic just yet.

If she starts to go very frequently it starts to become loser and loser, and especially if vomiting starts too then consult the vet. Other signs that are a concern is if she starts to become, lethargic, depressed looking, and uninterested in things like playing.

18. Brelly

Brelly PetForums Newbie

this is what is slightly concerning me.....she is already lethargic and she doesn't know how to play yet (however I am very proud of her for attempting to pat a tennis ball :p ) but her legs are extremely weak and she struggles to walk let alone play :( shes back at the vets on Tuesday so hopefully they can reassure me xx

19. Sled dog hotel

Dehydration can make them lethargic, there is a couple of simple tests you can do to check shes not dehydrated. Her gums should be moist and a nice healthy pink colour. If they are dry and very sticky that can be a sign of lack of fluids. Pale and especially white gums are a concern as its usually an indication of aneamia which is serious.

A further test for dehydration is if you gently pull up the loose skin on her back, it should spring back virtually like elastic. If it does shes well hydrated.
    The concern and shows they are dehydrated normally is if the skin delays and goes back slowly, or worse still stays up "tent" like before returning slowly.

You can also check her circulation by checking her capillary refill time. If you push on the top gum above her teeth gently but quite firmly with a forefinger, the area you have applied pressure should blanche and go lighter, but it should return to a nice normal colour in 1/2 seconds. If it takes longer than this, then its usually a sign or circulatory problems.

So if you see anything like the above when you do it, again speak to your vet for advice.

20. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Do be sure that's she's plenty warm enough too. If she were cold, that could make her a little lethargic.

If she is very young, she will struggle to regulate her own body temperature.

If you put your thumb inside her ear, right at the base, that's a good indicator of how warm/cool she is.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice