Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Urgent help please

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by bluepersianlover, Sep 6, 2020.

1. bluepersianlover

bluepersianlover PetForums Member

Sorry for the long post but without the full facts you might not be able to advise.

So my indoor male cat Ronnie (he's 2.5 yrs old) on Wednesday just gone was rush to the vets with a blocked bladder. The vet said he was suffering from 1000's Struvite crystals and it was one the worst cases he has seen. He fought an hour to get a catheter into him and manged in the edge but was close to calling it which would have resulted in an operation. Ronnie was then sent home with me and the catheter still in until Friday Morning which is when we took him back. He was leaking still on Saturday but the vets this was to be expected as things are clearly tender down there so might be a little while before he stops that. We were given pain killers (Loxicom) to give him after eating but on Sunday morning (today) we found he wouldnt eat or drink so he couldnt have his pain killer and was not passing any urine not even leaking on the floor like he was the day before. So we took him back to the vets who said he needs another catheter into drain him as he was blocked again. Shocked and sadden to say the least given it was only Friday he had his first one removed.

So they kept him in all day today (Sunday) and repeated the process this time taking the catheter out before letting us take him home as it wasn't urine they removed. It was fresh blood and a lot of it.

They have given us antibiotics for a week and a muscle relaxer to give him every 12 hours for next couple of days. To make him feel more comfortable. The advice for us in to max his water intake. many water bowls around, put tuna brine in his water to encourage him to drink, extra litter trays, keep things calm and plenty places to hide if he wishes etc.. i am doing all that they asked and anything else which i think might help him. He is moving more just like first time he was catheter. The relief he must feel poor thing. I am pleased to say he wasn't home for 40 mins before we saw him drinking from this bowl which is a great sign. He is still licking himself and we have not seen him eat as yet. But will continue to encourage him and hopefully he will.

Ronnie is a Bsh crossed. His mum was the bsh and his dad was the neighbours domestic cat a mixture of everything i think. We've been in touch them and nothing like this runs in this bloodline on his mum side but unable to confirm on his dad's side as his dad was sadly attached by a dog earlier this year and didn't make it. The reason i checked this was as the vet said it might be genetics that has caused it.

He is not a full male and had the snip when he was young. In case you need to know that.

Ronnie is not insured as we have been putting money to one side instead of having insurance. We paid insurance for many years and never really needed it in the past so thought the kitty fund was a better option. How wrong we was. But i cannot undo this and i am beating myself up enough already. So my funds are not endless and so far this already cost £500.00 with no blood work and no xrays. I simply cant afford any of those treatments. They quote me £450.00 for an over night stay, one x ray. I dont have access to credit of any and dont qualify for help from a charity. I dont receive any benefits. I am far from being on a high income with a young child to support as well. I cant ask family etc for help as they would just say its kinder to let him go to sleep.

So where are we well at this moment in they don't know for sure if the blood is from the lining of bladder or if its caused any damage to kidneys. so gave him fluids to treat any kidney issues just cause as the vet said they would only help.

We have to take him back tomorrow again just after dinner time for them to have a feel to see if his bladder has filled up again. I am dreading it to be honest. I am running out of cash fast and I feel disgusted and ashamed in myself that cash even has to come into it. But as the vet said the future has to be considered as if anything else happens its likely he will be on drugs for rest of this life.

I dont really know what i am looking for from you all. I just feel lost. I cant sleep cant think of anything else. But having to put on that brave mum face for my little boy and just want any advice can give regardless of what this is.

If you have read all the way down to the bottom i am sorry for the post being so long but wanted to make sure i had captured all the facts.

Hopefully hear from anyone soon.

Thanks again.

2. jill3

jill3 PetForums VIP

So sorry to hear what you and Ronnie are going through.
    Vet fees are very expensive and i had the same with one of my cats. He has cost a lot of money over the years and i could kick myself from not insuring him.
    You could ask the vet for a repayment plan. I am sure a lot of vets will be doing this as with the problems we have had with lockdown and jobs.
    If Ronnie has to have drugs for the rest of his life then you can get them online which might work out cheaper. You just need the prescription from the vets to order them.
    I hope someone with more experience will come along on here to offer their advice.
    You are doing everything you can so please dont be ashamed.
    Hopefully tomorrow or will be ok.
    You could always try a fund me page if things get expensive.
    As my Hubby says we must cross these bridges one at a time.
    My Boy has just had a tooth out and a biospy cost me £420 and extra for antibiotics and 2 more vet appointments.
    Sending Healing and positive vibes to Ronnie xx

bluepersianlover and Jackie C like this.
  3. Jackie C

Jackie C Cat slave

Sorry, I have no advice to add, just wishing Ronnie well and sending positive vibes. xx

KoolK and bluepersianlover like this.
  4. Arny

Arny PetForums VIP

I'm so sorry.
    First tip if he has any dry food in his diet don't give it to him again.
    You can also add a little water to his wet if he'll eat it like that.

5. bluepersianlover

Thanks for this advice. The vets seem to swap and change on their advice about dry food. Ronnie has a mixed diet, wet and dry but we add extra water to both to try and increase in his intake of H2O. I asked if i should stop dry food as i am yet to see anything telling me to keep him on it other than the vet saying it. she said its because hes a BSH and if he doesnt have dry in his diet it will mess up his teeth in the long run so we would be causing another issue down the line. I said well cant we just get over this issue first then just give a reduced amount. She nodded. so ill think thats what ill do just give la reduced amount of dry with his wet with extra water. he is drinking but its 6.5 hours since we brought him from vets and still no pee. Ill be checking on him throughout the night. Having wrote that 6.5hours that makes it feel worst and very real. surely he should have been by now even though he isnt drinking much. He has an appointment tomorrow like i say but i dread the night. everything seems worst at night.

Thank you to everyone who has commented so far and taken the time to read my post. Means so much.

6. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Kibble does not benefit a cat's teeth or dental health in any way, that is a fallacy created by pet feed manufacturers to sell product. Sad that vets are still repeating this made up propaganda.

Kibble is actually one of the main causes of what your cat is going though now, he must never ever be fed a dry diet again. He needs wet foods high in meat protein, because meat is naturally acidifying, it is what his body needs to be balanced. You will want to search for low carbohydrate products, because high carb diets (especially kibble) create an alkaline urine.

Moisture is essential as you know but adding water to kibble is not recommended, you are only creating a high carb bacteria soup. Kibble is covered in bacteria( and, often, mold) and when it gets wet, the bacteria and mold grow very fast.

7. slw

slw PetForums Senior

Hi, sorry to hear your boy is suffering with blocked bladder problems. Some of my boy cats have had this problem in the past and I cannot stress how important it is to give wet food only. No dry food. One of mine was on a Royal Canin S/O wet food diet which maintains a dilute urine to help prevent the risk of crystals forming, but the others were just switched to a normal wet diet and they never had the problem again.

It’s also important to keep your boy as stress free as possible at the moment.

I hope he doesn’t get blocked again and recovers very soon.

8. bluepersianlover

Just an update. Weve been back to the vets this morning and he has blocked again in under 24 hours. This is the third time in total since Wednesday last week. The vets advised there is nothing more that can be done for my boy and advised that even surgery to unblock isnt likely to help and most likely he will start to block again afterwards given the extent of his issues. I have to be grateful for their honesty in that regard. They have had advised that the only option is to let him go. I cant believe it how hes gone from being fine or what appeared to be fine last Tuesday to being taken from us later today. I have to take him back later tonight for the vet to do the procedure. Then i have to break the news to my son. hes only 7. Am crushed. I know with pets and children these conversations will always need to be hand at some stage but didnt expect to be soon given his 2.5 yrs old. Thank to everyone who has taken the time to read my post and offer your assistance. It means a lot to me. Heartbroken.

KoolK likes this.
  9. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Oh no I am so sorry. Poor kitty must have massive scarring. My heart felt empathy and sympathy to you and your son. xx

KoolK and bluepersianlover like this.
  10. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Is a PUS (Perineal urethrostomy) operation not possible? It's major surgery and expensive, and should only be done by a vet experienced in it which usually means a referral centre.

11. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

I understood it that the vet said this surgery would not help him. Some cats have so much scarring from repeat blocking and catheterization that PU surgery will not help and the cat is just put through more misery and pain for nothing.

bluepersianlover likes this.
  12. slw

slw PetForums Senior

I’m so sorry to hear you have had to make that decision. So sad and it must be heartbreaking for you. X

13. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Very sad to hear that.

14. Arny

Arny PetForums VIP

I'm so sorry that you have to let him go.
    You gave him the best chance.

One of our cats passed away when I was 6 and although I was understandably upset it will likely be a lot worse for you. Children are resilient.
    Just be honest is my advice.
    We buried my cat as a family.

15. bluepersianlover

Thank you everyone. Hes past. Upon our arrival to vets the vet advised us that Ronnien was already slowly dying . My poor boy. So the vet kindly helped him rest. He fell to sleep in my arms looking to my eyes. I am numb. My son wont know till the morning as we couldn't break his heart before bed time. Ron ron was an amazing boy and I was truly lucky to be his mum for his short time. I cant believe he's gone. This time last week he was laid snuggled with me and now hes gone. I could scream.

Sleep easy ron ron know we love and miss you forever you by baba. Xx

KoolK and slw like this.
  16. Jackie C

Jackie C Cat slave

I'm so sorry. Poor boy. Be reassured, he passed looking into the eyes of the one he loved most in the world, and would have felt comforted by that as he went to sleep for the last time. Goodnight, Ronnie. xx Run free, boy. x

17. bluepersianlover

Thank you so much for your kind words. I hope he was. He meant the world to my family and i am still in stock that we find ourselves in this situation. I cant bring myself to move his food bowls. I've washed them out and put them back in his feeding spot. The house doesn't feel the same. We have a second cat called Johnny their not litter buddies but were brothers in our eyes Only 4 weeks apart. We are getting on urinary cat wet food diet and do away with urinary biscuits all together so he will just have a full wet diet. I know i cant fully protect him from getting anything but i make it my mission to limit those chances the best i can. He was already on the food as he bought it for Ronnie so Johnny was having the same following discussions with our. Prevention is best. So hes on Royal Canin urinary S/O loaf at the minute. I understand thats a good make but i aware that doesn't always mean best. Does anyone have any good suggestions please? thanks again xx

Jackie C likes this.
  18. ebonycat

ebonycat PetForums VIP

I’m so sorry
    Run free Ronnie

With regards to the best wet food to feed I’ll tag @chillminx as she’s the best to discuss & advise you.
    A lot of us buy our wet food from Zooplus, there’s a sticky thread with the best food listed. But @chillminx can explain it all better than me x

#18 ebonycat, Sep 9, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
  19. bluepersianlover

Thank you so much for that hopefully they can help on the food. I've seen some one vetuk . Don't know if anyone has used them and if their any good? X

20. ebonycat

ebonycat PetForums VIP

I’ll tag @chillminx again & hopefully she’ll see this thread.
    @chillminx can you advise the best urinary cat food to feed.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice