Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

urgent help needed!

Discussion in 'Spiders and Inverts' started by roadshredder, Apr 28, 2008.

1. roadshredder

roadshredder PetForums Junior

i have set up my new vivarium with some sticks from the garden, i had done lots of research before i got my spider, she has been in there for a few days now but somebody today told me that the bacteria on them will harm my spid, is this true? should i take them out? thanks tom

2. patsyking

patsyking PetForums Junior

The sticks should be sterilized. I've heard you can do this by drying them out and then nuking them in the microwave. Its best never to use anything straight from the garden as there could be traces of pesticides and other things on them.

3. roadshredder

ok, ive taken the sticks out now, should i clean the whole viv out or will it be ok do you think?, her abdomen has gone dark aswell, was light coloured only a couple of days ago:confused:

4. patsyking

patsyking PetForums Junior

I will ask my friend this evening if the viv needs cleaning out and come back to you tonight, tha's the earliest I can help with that bit. If the abdomen has gone dark all over it could be coming up for a moult and its best not to disturb it when its like that. I'll get back to you asap or get my friend Becky to help. She is great with spiders, keeps over 90 of them and is always willing to give good valuable advice.

5. Becky

Becky PetForums Newbie

Thanks Pat :D

You won't need to sterilize the whole tank. It should be ok. Pour some boiling water on the twigs then let them dry and it should be ample :)

As Patsy said, if her abdomen is dark she is coming upto a moult. Don't feed her, she won't eat and any crickets left in there could chomp on her so remove any live food still in there. I always make mine a bit more humid when i know they're going to moult. So over flow her water dish and it will be fine :) Then just leave her to it, there's nothing else you can do.
    Good luck :)

6. roadshredder

thanks very much for that, i was a little worried there for a minute! i have removed everything and put a few sticks in that i got from a petshop!
    getting my spider was the best thing i ever did! i can see a large collection coming on!!!! thanks again guys, tom

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice