Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Urgent help needed

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by thedogsmother, Mar 23, 2011.

1. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

Bella just grabbed a sugar free mint out of my daughters hand, it contains sorbitol, I know this is seriously bad for dogs but its only one mint, what shall I do? What I mean is, its this a vet job?

2. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

I have no idea, I didn't know it was bad I wouldn't have thought one would be a problem maybe just give them a ring when they are open? X

3. They put it in doggy toothpaste so very much doubt one mint will cause any problems!
    BUT as always - if you are concerned check with A vet!

#3 DoubleTrouble, Mar 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2011
  4. Pointermum

Pointermum PetForums VIP

She's a big dog i'm sure one will be ok, just give the vet a quick bell.

5. sailor

sailor PetForums VIP

Thanx to this thread I have just been made aware of sorbitol... which is in mint candy canes... which Sailor had been eating over Christmas :blink:

I don`t think one small mint will do much harm to Bella, but if your worried, I would give the vet a phone call and get their opinion

6. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

Maybe ring the vet for advice, for peace of mind, hope all okay :)

7. thedogsmother

Phew I managed to get hold of the vets, for a dog her size and the amount she had it wont cause any harm, as DT said its in the dog toothpaste, however in larger amounts it is a problem though. She checked it didnt have xylotol in because that is seriously bad for dogs apparently. I did panic a bit though:eek:, and the children were late for school too :eek:.

8. archiesmum

archiesmum PetForums VIP

Good to hear that Bella will be ok.

Thanks for this thread as I now know another thing to watch out for. This site is so informative.

Hugs

Val xx

9. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Do you mean Xyllitol? Thats in sugar free gum and is very dangerous to dogs,
    It causes problems with the Insulin production of the dog, causing low blood sugar. Symptoms are vomiting,weaknes un-cordinated movements and depression. That can come on pretty quickly. Less than 0.5g can cause a problem in dogs. I think its around 0.3g that can be found in some sugar free gum pieces alone.

10. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Just caught up with your post and see it wasnt Xyllitol thank god, Glad she is OK.

11. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

When my son was little he ate two whole packets of mints with sorbitol in them - didn't get off the loo all evening, lol. Didn't know it was bad for dogs though.

Glad Bella is okay! ;)

12. thedogsmother

Apparently thats the super serious one that is dangerous in even small amounts, but apparently sorbitol in large amounts can aslo cause problems, although she didnt say what the problems were:confused:.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice