Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Urgent help needed!!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by lifeizsweet, May 26, 2010.

1. lifeizsweet

lifeizsweet PetForums VIP

I have no where else to turn and don't know what to do, OH hasn't been able to take bramble to work this week, so we've left him at home, my sister was with him for about 4 hours today,

but the accountant who works downstairs said today when he's on his own he's howling.... i can't afford to be evicted again because of brams... and don't know what to do about next week....

firstly any one in reading willing/able to watch him? (we're not flush so can't afford much but will pay and drop/collect if needed) or any ideas what to do to to him howling? because it's looking like we'll need to rehome him otherwise. :(

2. davehyde

davehyde Banned

if i was closer i'd willingly help. i'd have him all day along with my mutt.

other than that i got no good ideas

3. keeleyjane19

keeleyjane19 Guest

Wish I was nearer :( Maybe look for local doggy day care places, I know you said you haven't got alot, but its the last resort otherwise can't think of anything unless you have a friend or relative to look after him??

All the best and hope you figure something out soon xx

4. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

If you can't find anyone to have him what about seeing if any local boarding kennels would have him as a day boarder

5. lifeizsweet

thanks guys

local dog places don't seem to have them all day but will pop in on them, which is good but he'll still be howling the rest of the day. My sister is watching him tomorrow and is going to see what she can do next week, but apart from that there is no one :(

6. sailor

sailor PetForums VIP

Just a total random idea off the top of my head...

Have you got a neighbour, friend or relative who can help ?

maybe if you got intouch with your local rescue and ask them if they have any volunteer dog walkers or fosterers, who would be willing to give you some immediate help intil you can sort something out long term ???

Or how about putting up an ad for a volunteer dog walker, to help them with work experience/job reference etc might just be lucky to find a student studying dog behaviour etc etc

Best of luck

7. Luvdogs

Luvdogs PetForums VIP

Oh what a shame your not closer :( i often take friends dogs out.
    I really hope you get something sorted ;)

x

8. GillyR

GillyR PetForums VIP

Where are you? pm if you like, i at the moment am a lady of lesuire, and if bram is ok with my three, he would be most welcomed into my home :)

9. lifeizsweet

forgot to mention i will be spending the weekend working on why he's howling - any tips on what to do? how to get him to stop /

10. Luvdogs

Luvdogs PetForums VIP

Aaaw that is a lovely offer ;) bless you

11. lifeizsweet

Gilly - I'm in Twyford, Berkshire, no idea if thats near you or not. Thank you so much for offering, that means so much!

Just looking into day boarding to see if thats possible.

12. lifeizsweet

So it looks like day care will be £15 a day.... hopefully my sister will be able to do some days as £75 a week is a lot. :(:(:(

13. GillyR

GillyR PetForums VIP

Fingers crossed - could you maybe cross post on the dog behaviour section, there are some wise folk on there, who maybe able to offer help on how to stop this seperation anxiety.

Good luck hun, sorry i am too far xx

14. Leah84

Leah84 PetForums VIP

oh no you poor thing, if you lived closer i`d happily look after bramble anytime you needed. i know how painful it is to have to rehome a dog due to sa and i really hope you don`t have to!!

sounds stupid but have you tried putting meat paste in a kong and only giving it when you go out?? banjo started ripping things up when we were out and since we done that she`s been fine so maybe it`d keep bramble occupied

15. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

Seperation anxiety is a bugger and hard to resolve straight away.

Try the following as starters

Have a defined routine for leaving the house. Not too much fuss attention.

Get some Rescue remedy from boots and start giving him that, maybe try a DAP calming thingy.

Leave either the TV or a Radio on as loud as you would have it if you were in to mask outside noises and provide comfort.

Place him where you want him to spend his time and leave him with a stuffed frozen kong just as you go out the door.

Over the weekend just go through the above routine and wait outside the door, just 5 minutes to start with, do it several times during the day and gradually increase the time to half an hour if you can. The key is to re enter and give lots of praise BEFORE he kicks off.

Best of Luck :)

16. leashedForLife

17. lifeizsweet

Thanks guys,

we don't have a kong as he gave it to our old next door neighbours dog as a present..but we've got a different disk thingy. so will try filling that.

We've just put him in the bedroom with his toys and bed and shut the door to see if he makes any noise, he's been quiet for about half an hour and we've just heard him start to wine, which fits with what the accountant was saying. - although may have rushed into this, and not thought through what to do next.

18. zoeeoo

zoeeoo PetForums Member

my gypsy was like that but what we done was turn radio on and give her loads of chews and the kongs with ham or chesse or peanut butter in them and sit on the stairs behine the door wait till she calm down and more intrested in chewin then we would walk in and not look at her untill we put stuff down and we do this in the garden and to go out and it has worked she isnt crying or barking now.

19. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

My old lab had some small issues with me going out for a while. Me and my ex had just broken up and we had moved house :eek: poor lad! No doubt he was unsettled!!

Anyway, i found having a toy (busy buddy etc) just for when i went out. So 15 mins before i left i filled it all up, really packed iit all in, and only used 'special' fillings. (like favorite meats in tiny bits, cheese, sausage, treats, Dairylea spreadable cheese etc etc) and gave it to him 5 mins before going. He was so involved with his toy he never bothered about me leaving!

I also hid plenty treats, biscuits, bonios etc around the house for him to find. Again i only ever did this when i went out. Hide them in all sorts of places but ones he can get them easy enough as you don't want him digging or knocking things over to get them! Lol! Always put him in another room before doing it so he doesn't see where they are then he has to use his nose to sniff them out which gives him mental stimulation and will tire him out! Also change the places each time.

Leave 'special' toys out for him, that you rotate regualry so he gets excited about 'new' toys. Definately leave a radio/tv on for him at a low level, its comforting to them.

Make sure he has a long walk and run before leaving him (if you don't already) preferably give him 30 mins at least to calm down from it and so his adreneline levels go back to normal.

When you get back home don't fuss him, i know its hard! But just come in give him a quick pat and go right and do some things you need to do. Also wait a bit before taking him out for his walk again. If you take him straight out he will look forward to return so much he will get anxious which can cause the howling/barking etc especially as the time gets nearer to your home coming (dogs seem to have inbuilt clocks to your routine!!)

Also ask you neighbour if he can recall the time roughly Brams started. This might help you to understand more.

But remember this is all new to him, so it could be that he is a bit unsettled. But getting rescue remedy and a DAP diffuser can help.

#19 Acacia86, May 26, 2010
    Last edited: May 26, 2010
  20. lifeizsweet

Thanks Acacia, the accountant said today it started at 10 my sister was there from 11:30 not sure when she left probs around half four, and he started again at 5 till i got home at 6.

The telly wasn't on, so will try that over the weekend and get my sister to work on him tomorrow.

will need to go pick him up some special toys i think!

i'm fretting so much about this so much..

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice