Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

URGENT help needed!!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by emerald_city, May 24, 2010.

1. emerald_city

emerald_city PetForums Newbie

Ok i need some help within the next well few hours

My brother had a kelpie x collie dog from puppy with his wife, its always been very hyper etc due to the breed and they recently had a baby and cant cope so we took it up to our home in wiltshire to rehome, we took it to the kennels for rehoming, they rang up today saying that they rehomed her on saturday but she was brought back because on sunday she bit the lady who took her on and marked her, unsure of the full details but basically she came down in the morning, was giving her a fuss and then the dog bit her.
    We cant keep her here as she fights with my dog, and my brother cannot have her back incase she nolw bites the baby, she's not been known for this before but does get jealous (which is why she was rehomed to a home with no other dogs and no children) but now we need to know what on earth to do with her. We have rang all the big companies - blue cross, rspca, dogs trust etc and nobody wants anything to do with a biting dog. The kennels wont keep her after today but we cant take her!

2. flufffluff39

flufffluff39 PetForums VIP

I always hear of these stories where animals have to go because of babies. I was recently asked if I wanted an akita because the woman had a baby. I had dogs and had babies?? I can't figure it out :(

3. emerald_city

well i can honestly say i dont think anybody who doesnt live on a farm could have dealt with her and the baby im afraid. anyway.. it was help on what to do i needed

4. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

UK Kelpie Bulletin Board :: Index

You might get some help on this site but I'm afraid unless your brother is going to face his responsiblity to this dogs life then PTS is the only option. We cannot rehome happy, friendly non biting dogs right now so a hyper active working breed already shown aggression is a definate non starter. Shame for the dog they didn't research the breed before. :(

5. flufffluff39

I am trying to help. If shes aggressive then she needs to be worked with first not rehomed straight away!! The dog is confused. I've seen this first hand. Why should she be shoved from pillar to post and not react to it. Sorry just my opinion.

6. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

I'm very sorry to hear about your situation. Unfortantely, unless the kennels want to try and rehome her again with another person, I don't know what else you can do sadly. I can understand why people would rehome animals when they start having a family especially if the animal has shown aggressive behaviour (i know you said this particular dog hadn't bit before) but as an example.

I can't offer any help, hopefully people who rescue and know about rescue policies can help you. I wish you the best of luck in doing the best thing for the dog and the people involved.

7. emerald_city

No, I understand that they shouldnt have got her, I told her that before, but before they had the baby they were getting somewhere with her, but i have to say a babies safety is MUCH more important than worrying about whether lexi will bite people or not, as i say she's never been aggressive with them anyway so they werent expecting this.

I would take her myself if at all possible but she fights with my dog and not only that one of my horses died yesterday so im stressed out to the nines at the moment and upset to no end and this is really something i cannot deal with at the moment so she either needs to find a home who can work with this (which is VERY unlikely) or PTS which i really dont want for her coz she'd make an amazing dog in the right hands.

8. BubsyBear

BubsyBear PetForums Member

Have you thought about an animal sanctuary rather than a rescue? Somewhere that would keep the dog if they couldn't rehome it. I know there are long waiting lists, but it's an alternative to the dog being PTS.
    Here's one near me, I don't know what area you're in:
    Welcome to Bleakholt
    Sorry I can't be of more help

9. flufffluff39

I'm sorry about your horse. Can I ask you why you are trying your best for the dog?? Why are'nt your brother and his partner doing it??

#9 flufffluff39, May 24, 2010
    Last edited: May 24, 2010
  10. emerald_city

well they are in Plymouth you see, which is a good 175 miles away from me and the dog is in a kennel up near me as i took her to the rehoming centre purely as my brothers wife is very upset over having to get rid of her at all. My brother has tried places near him now too but nobody wants to know now she's bitten. Nobody wants her PTS but my brother will no way be able to afford to have a behavourist out for her and they are now scared that now she's bitten she may go for the child and its just not a risk worth taking. They have contacted the person they bought her off to see if they'll have her back but they have cut down on dogs and only have the working farm dogs now and arent willing to take her back.
    Everything is just out of control at the moment, i mean the kennels only took her in on Friday and rehomed on saturday and the bite happened on sunday morning so i mean it wouldnt suprise me in the least if it was a frightened bite, but nobody but the lady who had her will know what actually happened.

The kennels have just phoned and gonna see what they can do, so hopefully they can come up with something!

11. flufffluff39

I have had a dog off a relative who bit me and oh but I kept him for 7 years before he passed away. I am sure there are people out there like me who welcome problem dogs :) Good luck.

12. keeleyjane19

keeleyjane19 Guest

I am sorry to hear about your horse.

I am also sorry to hear about the problem with this dog.

Unfortunately most rescues will not take an aggressive dog on due to difficulty in rehoming.

Some sanctuaries might?

In the right situation, this dog would probably come out ok.

I fully understand the situation with the baby.

Keep trying but in reality now that the dog has shown aggressive tendencies there are few and far between people who would take such a dog on.

It's a shame it has come to this, but it has happened and you now have to come to an ideal outcome that suits you and your brother and the dog.

Sorry I cannot be of anymore help xxx

13. alaun

alaun PetForums VIP

You might have more luck with smaller shelters, try googling ones in your area, yellow pages and maybe your vet could help and give you contact details.

It might also be worth trying local boarding kennels - they would at least be able to take her in as a paid guest whilst you looked for a new home - it will give you a bit of time to find a suitable home. Would your brother be willing to pay for kennelling?

Also boarding kennels may have contacts of people willing to rehome or foster. I know the manager of my local kennel fosters in her own home.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

14. brackenhwv

brackenhwv PetForums Senior

No wonder the dog being shoved from pillar to post bit some, not at get at you, just a reason for biting, couldn't the rescue given her a bit of settling in time and surely 1 bite can't label a dog as aggressive ? with the situation considered I wouldn't label any animal aggressive until i seen more aggression coming out.

15. emerald_city

thanks everyone

brackenhwv - yeah I completely agree, we would have kept her and rehomed her ourself but I cant have her fighting with my dogs and my house is so small I couldnt keep them apart easy enough. But I assumed the kennels would have acessed her behaviour etc before rehoming, but clearly they didnt if she was rehomed the next day :confused::

16. Vicky B

Vicky B PetForums Newbie

Hi Emerald City

I help with Kelpie Welfare - someone posted you a link at the top of the thread - I might be able to help and I live in Wiltshire.

I need to know more about the dog such as age, size, temperament (you are right 1 bite doesn't make this a bad dog just too much of a risk with young children praps) and pictures if you have any. I also need to know where you are and where the dog is at the moment.

PM or email me if you like - both should be possible

Vicky

17. Vicky B

Vicky B PetForums Newbie

OK - I don't think you can PM me - just reread the rules - my email is

vickybrennan at spottydogs dot freeserve dot co dot uk

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice